Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom - Third party POI alerts are no more
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom - Third party POI alerts are no more
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickhoare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Simple Table of Sat-Navs with capabilities Reply with quote

I am with chipmonk. I have looked on this site but found it hard to look through reviews to make any judgement. Once or twice I carefully read a review only to see that it was for a 2003 device! IF there is already a table - sorry and where is it?

It would be really good to have a simple table of available Sat Navs with columns and tick boxes etc. showing their capabilities. As a Tom Tom user (currently on ageing PDA) I would be very interested, for example, to see what the best Tom-Tom device which still had 3rd Party POI capabilities compared with other manufacturer devices.

Not sure I even know what current capabilities are but the things I would be interested in are:-
- 3rd party POIs
- POI Warning options
- Add/Edit POI. Capture POI
- Favourite list (size)
- Re-Routing options
- Map quality/ Region availability/Update Frequency+cost
- Pre-planning routes
- Routing via
- Eco routes
- Ability to enter driving speeds
chipmonk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well mr grumpy,i am suffering mild dementia just so you know i am also diabetic and have high blood pressure and enlarged heart and chronic lymphatic leukaemia i also own a blue badge as i find it hard to walk anywhere

anything else you want to add ?

nickhoare
thanks for your support and i agree with you it would be a good idea,

i hope to be here to see a result

cheers chipmonk
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my strong beliefs - a sense of humour is a sense of perpective; a way of handling problems - congratulations chipmonk Very Happy

The other one - beware the grumpy person who has no sense of humour. The worst things happen with someone who never smiles Evil or Very Mad
MarkWorthington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: 3rd party POIs alerts Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
juliaosborne wrote:
TT will continue to support 3rd party POI lists, but NOT the 3rd party sounds that might go with them

Correct, to be exact you will no longer be able to configure any alerts for 3rd party POIs.

Will POIs still appear on the screen, but no SOUND alert will be heard? If so, I have the image of drivers zooming along gazing more at their TomToms rather than the road .... in case they miss a POI/camera etc.

Sad
Trevor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps people will stop supporting Tomtom.
I was under the impression that suppliers were meant to provide what customers wanted!!!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd party POIs alerts Reply with quote

MarkWorthington wrote:

Will POIs still appear on the screen, but no SOUND alert will be heard?

Only the small icon on the road itself will appear.

The large icon in the top left corner and the audio (sound effect or voice) are the "warn when near" setup and it's that which will be missing.
chipmonk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,I am a little surprised that no one has recommended a system that stands out among the rest,while I realise it may hard hard to define the best or best value for money which may mean several systems, is there a reason for no suggestions

I would like to thank almost everybody for the replies Very Happy

cheers chipmonk
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the usual difficulty with recommendations. Depends a lot on what/which bells&whistles people want, over and above the missing POI warnings, and whether they want to stay with TT if at all possible or are looking for a bigger change. And things change too quickly for the info to stay current for very long, even with the iPhone furore.

The nearest general approach I guess is looking for recent reviews on here, (and gpspassion and gpsreview, for instance) - if one looks particularly good to you, seriously consider it.
chipmonk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks m8,I think for me its not a phone and tt is letting me down,i tried their speed cameras and didn't like them so its not tt either.

I would just want something stuck in the window to which i can choose to type the message and input the camera type and hope fully drive through large buildings without to much hassle and all for next to nothing or around £150 or so
MarkWorthington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 3rd party POIs alerts Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Only the small icon on the road itself will appear.

The large icon in the top left corner and the audio (sound effect or voice) are the "warn when near" setup and it's that which will be missing.

Thanks for the clarification.

Mark
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you were looking to replace your tt910 in 2008, chipmonk. Does it not have PGPSW cameras on it? Does it not meet your current needs in other ways?

But if it IS still ok for you at present, apart from just the camera restriction problem, then Darren, etc seem to think that TT are only introducing the restriction on new models, not on the current devices retrospectively, in which case you don't really need to change?

Otherwise several other current TTs have been mentioned (also hopefully safe for user camera warnings) which might suit.

Or do you REALLY need to change to another make?

I think you said (in 2008 mind you!) that you wanted bluetooth, but you don't mention it here. As long as you can say what you need (anything on nickhoare's list for example?) someone here will make helpful suggestions I'm sure (Not me though, don't like Garmin, never used TomTom, and at the moment wouldn't recommend Navigon (MUCH as I rate it) for anyone wanting PGPSW cameras!!)
chipmonk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply m8,
my 910 is working fine
[except traveling from London to Yeovil it keeps saying turn next left most of the way]
including blue tooth but a m8 of mine asked which make/model to buy next as his tt packed up just after 14 months old and he got fobbed off by Halfords,I know he still has rights even at 14 months like Halfords can be made to share a repair but having told him about the current plans by tt he and I wanted to have some make alternatives

cheers chipmon
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching from a Go-910 to anything in the current product range might appear as a backward step, even the 950 (current top of the range device) isn't as feature packed as a 910, you have the mp3 player, FM Tx (with the correct accessory mount) and an audio line out connection built in irrespective of the mount type employed and an RF Remote control that doesn't eat batteries.

950 no FM Tx, no mp3 player, OK so its got the Live services (at a monthly cost), no audio line output unless you purchase an accessory mount, a bluetooth remote control as an accessory (get some shares in Duracell first though Laughing ).

To be honest if you can find a new Go-940 Live thats the last fully featured device I have seen from TomTom, if you don't want the mp3 player/ Fm Tx then Go-950, if you can live without the phone Handsfree I would usually suggest the XL IQ/ XL IQ Live but after the mess they have made with the V850 European maps the XL IQ and its Live equipped sister device are not something I would consider for a European trip - Mike
DarrenR21373
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
... and at the moment wouldn't recommend Navigon (MUCH as I rate it) for anyone wanting PGPSW cameras!!)

Funny, but I LOVE my new Navigon and have found the PGPSW cameras easy to install with POI Warner... even though POI-Warner doesn't work in simulation mode, which threw me to start with!

I'd recommend the Navigon 4350 Max to anybody - if you can still get it, as I believe it is being superceded by the 40 and 70 range (which in Plus (?) guise don't have bluetooth handsfree - think you have to go Premium now to get this feature - the 4350 Max has it as standard). Keep an eye on Halfords.com (if your mate's experience with them hasn't put him off) - they often have half price deals - got mine with £150 off for one weekend only!

However, I haven't updated the cameras yet - I do wonder if I'll have to setup all the camera warnings again, or if I manually sync the overlays, will it keep the settings? Guess I'll find out soon enough Laughing
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DarrenR21373. As this is about TT POIs (PGPSW mainly, but also of course other more general POIs), I'll try and not go too far OTT, but perhaps need to explain my 'recommendation' a little more clearly as some people clearly are thinking about alternatives.

At 66 I can only claim to be FOND of my Navigon Cool and I do use POIWarner for a number of POIs. If someone with specific requirements compatible with Navigon, or expresses an interest, then I would certainly endorse their eminently sensible Razz intentions - if POIs were ONE of their needs I would try explain what I feel they need to be aware of.

Here though, POIs are the PRIMARY concern of the posters. When I used Garmin (with Ash's Camera Manager) POIs and any warnings loaded almost without a thought, integrated seamlessly into Garmin's own POIs, displayed on the map, all at no extra cost (Ash donation apart!). I assume TT traditionally are fairly similar. Pretty well "Plug and Play".

Unfortunately Navigon/POIWarner currently compares unfavourably in quite a number of important areas (IMHO). I won't burden TT aficianados too much with what most of them presumably don't need to hear- just two examples:

(i) PGPSW - camera icons do not display directly on the map but appear in a separate side display, often blocking the 'Next Turn' indicator I'm relying on at that moment Evil or Very Mad !

(ii) Most of my other POIs can't be loaded in without running them through another 3rd party file conversion utility first, which itself does not always run like a dream Wink . Definitely NOT "Plug and Play" in my experience.

Sorry if I've outstayed my welcome TT folks, but I didn't want anyone who really did start looking around to get any unwanted surprises (as some people have).

But if you DO want a REALLY good device anyway ..... Laughing Razz

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: