Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom - Third party POI alerts are no more
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom - Third party POI alerts are no more
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Custom POIs Reply with quote

Yes I agree it has all been about speed cams but of course ALL custom POIs have been removed by TomTom

So if I want to display my company's installations on my TomTom as I pass them, I cannot - which is regressive

I can see and appreciate TomTom could and should wish to profit from their Sat Nav offering above any other. Good on them

But i would like to choose their database because of the ease of updates, value or otherwise rather than be forced because I can do no other

I used to be a doubter of the PGPSW database against built-in offerings
, but now think twice about upgrading to one without this flexibility

Free live services if of course great, but its only "included" because it has to be to encourage trial and adoption of the service
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickeymouse76 wrote:

And his point is don't speed in the first place so you don't have to pay a £20 subscription that you guys are charging people for community content. If it was TomTom charging for that then the world would end for all the PGPSW fanboys on here and we wouldnt hear the end of it.

I've experienced the PGPSW camera database and tbh I got so sick of hearing the damn thing beep I turned them off.

To my knowledge nobody on here has said a dickiebird about TomTom giving away a years free LIVE services now....apologies if I'm wrong.

I've visited this site for ages and have only just started posting but you know what? It's just turning into a TomTom slagging off forum and is getting very tedious!!

Good bye Rolling Eyes
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickeymouse76 wrote:
Quote:
And his point is don't speed in the first place so you don't have to pay a £20 subscription that you guys are charging people for community content. If it was TomTom charging for that then the world would end for all the PGPSW fanboys on here and we wouldnt hear the end of it.

I've experienced the PGPSW camera database and tbh I got so sick of hearing the damn thing beep I turned them off.

To my knowledge nobody on here has said a dickiebird about TomTom giving away a years free LIVE services now....apologies if I'm wrong.

I've visited this site for ages and have only just started posting but you know what? It's just turning into a TomTom slagging off forum and is getting very tedious!!

Pretty ggod for only your second post, by the way its called added value, in the same way that I have to add lights to my grandchildrens new bikes, unfortunetly they are not included when i bought them.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm ... and mickeymouse76's OTHER post was also about TT is 'good' and everyone else's is only bought by silly people in their own country. Still, everyone's entitled to their opinion on here. TT gets most of the publicity on this site at the moment because that's what most people seem to have, and it's not all bad. Perhaps he should read more of the TT posts to get a less jaundiced view.

And as he found the camera warnings irritating, he probably did the right thing dropping them - I set the warnings to NOT irritate me, but surely you MUST have some warnings if you are going to use them?? Rolling Eyes Cool
parnen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom - Third party POI alerts are no more Reply with quote

Very disapointing news. javascript:emoticon('Sad') Looks like my next SatNav will not be a TomTom then! The navigation features are great but the speedcam notification is in severe need of improvement hence my move to the PGPSW database.
mickeymouse76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of the peeps at PGPSW offered their offerings to TomTom/Garmin etc to use as the official database? I'm sure there will be fixed term contracts in place that they need to see out but contracts always need renewing at some point?

As for my OTHER post BigPerk, yes very pro TomTom but that is because out of all the systems I have owned TomTom I believe has/is been the best. Going from a casual user just interested in the technology through to someone who uses one everyday at work now it satisfies every need and even my wife who hates gadgets/technology uses it....If you met her then you would be impressed!

Previous units were Sony Nv-u 50T and a Garmin Nuvi 255...least said about the sony the better thank you! Laughing
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickeymouse76 wrote:

Quote:

Didn't take you long to get sick of the beeps, did it?

Have you tried the voice warnings, perhaps you would find them less sickening than the beeps?

Quote:
Have any of the peeps at PGPSW offered their offerings to TomTom/Garmin etc to use as the official database?

Yes, I believe that PGPSW did offer their database to tomtom to use.
mickeymouse76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Didn't take you long to get sick of the beeps, did it?

It was on a friends sat nav while my old Garmin was off the road. I didn't even know it was on there until I used the device.

Thanks, I didn't try the voice warnings. If I ever need to use the database again I'll give that a shot

I just think if PGPSW have already offered it then it's time to try again, instead of everyone boycotting the products and calling them worse than Censored, everyone should maybe sign a petition promoting how good you guys think the database is and how TomTom would benefit from it. (again if this has already been done then apologies!)

Please do not use asterisks to circumvent the swear filter. PaulB2005
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickeymouse76 wrote:
And his point is don't speed in the first place so you don't have to pay a £20 subscription that you guys are charging people for community content.

How do you think this 'community' data gets verified, formatted and released in a useable format, magic?
Quote:
If it was TomTom charging for that then the world would end for all the PGPSW fanboys on here and we wouldnt hear the end of it.

TomTom DO charge for speed camera data!
Quote:

As you've never held a sub how can you comment, and the only one you tried was on a Garmin, wildly different inn how it beeps!
Quote:

Why do you think they're doing that, altruism? It's because LIVE is bombing and they can't sell it so are giving it away!
Quote:

Two threads, discussing a valid issue, if you don't like that, stop reading them.
misterfish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marmitebcfc wrote:
Seems to be a lot of TomTom bashing on here. You can not blame them wanting people to buy there safety camera alerts. TomTom alerts are quite accurate (I drive 2,000+miles a week) there only let down is in roadworks.

Not according to other comments that have been made. 'Their' alerts may be quite accurate, but it depends what is meant by 'quite'! If I describe something as 'quite nice' I would categorise it as just a bit above average. The PGW data I would categorise as excellent and nearly always up to date in roadworks.

I would also like to make it clear to one and all I'm a great fan of TomTom and have been impressed with their offerings, though with reservations on maps being kept up to date. I don't want to buy another make, I want another TomTom but want the facility to continue configuring it in the way that I do with my current model.

Misterfish
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - it's 'horses for course' as always. ALL makes are the best for SOME people's needs/preferences. The fact that I got fed up with Garmin, and have never used a TomTom, doesn't mean they don't suit suit others as this site shows.

As for TomTom-bashing, all the people in these threads (seem to be 3 now Razz ) are TomTom users, so surely their interest is staying with TT as long as the facilities they need are not withdrawn. As a Navigon user, I have always been frustrated by their complete withdrawal of ALL 3rd party POI support, as have many others (and some went elsewhere). And what's happened now with all the customer protests? Navigon's new units are now reintroducing them again though, like TomTom's intentions, not yet for warnings.
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't sound like good news. Reading through the thread I gain the following information. Please confirm or otherwise:

TT will continue to support 3rd party POI lists, but NOT the 3rd party sounds that might go with them

TT have already implemented this policy on new machines

The policy does not affect older machines - I should therefore be OK since mine is several years old

This bit I'm still not sure on - if I update my machine with a new TT map (something I bought the 2 years supply of about 6 mths ago Rolling Eyes ) will I lose the functionality to use the PGPSW sounds? If so then I don't feel inclined to update the maps even though I've bought them, esp. as I am a lifetime member of PGPSW. Has this been implemented yet/will this be implemented?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juliaosborne wrote:
TT will continue to support 3rd party POI lists, but NOT the 3rd party sounds that might go with them

Correct, to be exact you will no longer be able to configure any alerts for 3rd party POIs.
Quote:
TT have already implemented this policy on new machines

They have implemented this on Start, Start2, XL IQ2 and XL IQ2 Live so far (plus overseas model variants with different model names)
Quote:
The policy does not affect older machines - I should therefore be OK since mine is several years old

Correct
Quote:
This bit I'm still not sure on - if I update my machine with a new TT map (something I bought the 2 years supply of about 6 mths ago Rolling Eyes ) will I lose the functionality to use the PGPSW sounds?

As yet no, I don't see that changing but we can't be sure. We will of course publicise any update that does remove the functionality. You can always roll back to an earlier release, at worst you would not be able to use a map update that may require a new software version.
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your time Darren Very Happy I knew I could rely on PGPSW to clarify things for me - I will continue to watch out for updates re: the possibility of the map situation enforcing any sort of change on us. For the moment will continue as I am and cross fingers!
delta_caller
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well TOM TOM have really shot themselves in the foot with this one. i purchased a new XL IQ2 which i was advised at the time it would be able to warn me on POI's. i didn't realise that it didn't until i got it home. as soon as i realised i took the damn thing back and demanded a refund as i was missold the product. Tom Tom has lost my business and am looking for alternatives.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: