Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Display of speed limits on TT devices ...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Display of speed limits on TT devices ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Agree that you should not use a satnav to substitute for good road observation, but now and again speed limit signs can be obscured, or you are distracted by some road event. In the old days you had a bit of time to realise you had missed the sign, now with CCTV everywhere you can get caught in a few seconds and prosecuted ruthlessly. Anything that safely helps the motorist against revenue-raising bureaucrats evens the balance.

Agree with you Guivre46, its a shame there isn't as much effort put into speed limit signage as there is into enforcement. Around here we have to deal with poor signage and cameras that are painted green and hidden in hedgerows ... is that really about keeping the roads safe or is it about making money ???
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends upon your view of safety. If you believe drivers should never speed, or commit traffic violations, then you would use hidden cameras to catch them and punish them. If you had a more resigned view of human nature and perhaps used the roads everyday, you would see people both deliberately breaking the law, or driving badly through lack of understanding of signage, or road layouts, or just impatience. If you were serious about safety you would advertise/highlight the presence of cameras to encourage people to give more thought to their driving, especially [only] at sites where there has been a history of incidents.

I think it would be shameful if revenue raising took precedence over road safety.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also find that inaccurate speeds also means that TT has an odd view of what is the quickest route, I notice near me that it will often think that winding unclassified roads are quicker than adjacent A or B roads, even if the difference in in distance is often only 0.1-0.2 miles. I have altered a couple of the small lanes near me to 20mph limit to stop TT routing me down them. On my daily commute it tries to take me 7 miles further as it thinks that way is about 15 seconds quicker, although when the routes merge again it's already knocked about 10-12 mins off the ETA.

MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoolsTwo wrote:
I have altered a couple of the small lanes near me to 20mph limit to stop TT routing me down them.

I thought that the speed you could edit was only for the display and that the speed used in calculations was not editable?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mr T is right, AFAIK, the "time to travel" for each road section which is used for the routing calculations is coded into the maps.
The speed limit figure you can edit via MapShare is only used for the on-screen display and the overspeed warning.
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I think Mr T is right, AFAIK, the "time to travel" for each road section which is used for the routing calculations is coded into the maps.
The speed limit figure you can edit via MapShare is only used for the on-screen display and the overspeed warning.

I went and checked my TT and realised I had put a no right turn at the end of one lane to stop it using it, so you are probably correct Smile

Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoolsTwo wrote:
I went and checked my TT and realised I had put a no right turn at the end of one lane to stop it using it, so you are probably correct Smile

I hope you haven't shared this change with everyone via TomTom Home. Some of us may want to turn right at the end of that road!
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
JoolsTwo wrote:

I hope you haven't shared this change with everyone via TomTom Home. Some of us may want to turn right at the end of that road!

No, I'm very careful about what I share and what is for my own use.

You wouldn't want to turn right out of that road anyway, chances are you would hit someonne coming round the bilnd corner, although tomtom doesn't take such things into account when planning routes ;)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: