Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Kenwood DNX5240BT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Kenwood DNX5240BT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mds4703
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Kenwood DNX5240BT Reply with quote

Hi, I puchased this unit in March, then found you had to load the speed cameras yourself, I subscribed to GPS and have been trying since then to download the speed cameras. I have tried both CD-R & CD-RW, all files appear to be on the disc, but after trying to load in the car it comes up with Disc error. Is it possible to buy a disc already loaded with the cameras on.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

I would start reading through some of the other threads here regarding these models. It seems one problem is the directory structure you have on the disk.

Make sure it's

x:\garmin\poi\poi.gpi

Some models need capitals at the beginning of Garmin or poi. Also make sure the unit is in NAV mode. Fianlly some people have reported that even with the error message if you wait it will load.

Sadly Garmin & Kenwood have made this difficult and the requirements even seem to vary from model to model.

We can't provide a disk as the copy you download is digitally watermarked to your account and you'd have to pay for a new CD each week.
cjay2412
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can say from experience it is very difficult to load the speed cams via cd what will work 1 time will not work the next.you soon get sick of wasting cd's. i now use the service port in the back of the unit which i find much easier. i could post instructions on how to upload speed cams this way if anyone is interested.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i could post instructions on how to upload speed cams this way if anyone is interested.

Yes please. It would be most appreciated...
cjay2412
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will need:
mini-b to usb cable
a laptop
poiloader
sox.exe (only needed if uploading wav. voice alerts)
copy of the speed camera database

1. switch off and remove the head unit from the dash and insert a mini-b usb cable in to the port labelled mini-b in the installation manual it is labelled as "do not connect" (so you don't need to remove the head unit every time you want to update your speed cams route the cable to somewhere convenient i.e. the glove box)
2. replace the head unit and power up
3. make sure the unit is in navi mode then connect the unit to a laptop. you may need to install garmin usb drivers if you haven't already
4. the unit will change to a blue screen with 2 buttons "garmin" and "mass storage" select "gamin"
5. run poi loader select save to garmin device and run poiloader as you would for a portable device.
6. when you transfer the data a blue screen will come up saying "transferring data" after 10-15 seconds this will disappear
7. unplug the usb cable from the laptop and your done.

please be careful as far as i no this method of things is not supported. if something goes wrong your on your own.

if you click on mass storage you can copy over the garmin folder and its contents to the laptop. takes 1.5 hours+ so make sure your batteries are good if your going to.
mds4703
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjay2412 wrote:
you will need:
mini-b to usb cable
a laptop
poiloader
sox.exe (only needed if uploading wav. voice alerts)
copy of the speed camera database

1. switch off and remove the head unit from the dash and insert a mini-b usb cable in to the port labelled mini-b in the installation manual it is labelled as "do not connect" (so you don't need to remove the head unit every time you want to update your speed cams route the cable to somewhere convenient i.e. the glove box)
2. replace the head unit and power up
3. make sure the unit is in navi mode then connect the unit to a laptop. you may need to install garmin usb drivers if you haven't already
4. the unit will change to a blue screen with 2 buttons "garmin" and "mass storage" select "gamin"
5. run poi loader select save to garmin device and run poiloader as you would for a portable device.
6. when you transfer the data a blue screen will come up saying "transferring data" after 10-15 seconds this will disappear
7. unplug the usb cable from the laptop and your done.

please be careful as far as i no this method of things is not supported. if something goes wrong your on your own.

if you click on mass storage you can copy over the garmin folder and its contents to the laptop. takes 1.5 hours+ so make sure your batteries are good if your going to.

Thanks for your help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: