Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Free Trapster Speed Camera locations on TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Free Trapster Speed Camera locations on TomTom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrostyPredator wrote:
you will then in fact find that it relies on real time subscriber human verification. Real time, not every week or every month.

so how does that work on my tomtom520 which has no data connection?

for info the PGPSW database is updated in real time. i spend about 4 hours a day working on the speed camera database, we just release it on a weekly basis so locations can be made accurate.

if you downoaded a database from trapster then what if one of those locations was innacurate by some considerable distance or speed? you'd be stuck with it until you got back from your week away in the lakes. with PGPSW's submission and verification process we are able to more or less pin point the camera locations so when they are released they are accurate.

you're more than welcome to use the free service though along with their discussion forums about how to improve their service and get help with your device etc.

MaFt
FrostyPredator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instructions below...

Last edited by FrostyPredator on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
FrostyPredator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once registered then go to GARMIN, TOMTOM, AND OTHER NAVIGATION DEVICE ALERTS page, here http://www.trapster.com/config-poi.php.
Read and follow the instructions carefully and you will create a data region over the part of world map you need, just keep increasing the data area to collect all UK and Ireland for example. Once data area is applied and set then download camera files as OV2 (TomTom) or CSV for other devices.
Then apply voice alerts as necessary with exactly same file names as data files.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrostyPredator wrote:
Once data area is applied and set then download camera files as OV2 (TomTom) or CSV for other devices.
So, it's not real time then Confused Although presumably it's closer to 'real time' than ours, as you presumably get a snapshot of the database at the download time. Perhaps that's what FrostyPredator meant, but it's really a case of how accurate their 'real time' download is compared with ours, and my knowledge of my local cameras says it's not as accurate. If we published all the unverified cams that are submitted, no doubt ours would be as 'up to date' as theirs Sad
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussed it, wasn't double clicking Embarassed
I'll give it try to see how it compares to the rubbish TT issue. Luckily I don't travel outside my known area too much, so know where most of the traps are.

FrostyPredator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On top of the downloaded data you can also receive real time updated camera text alerts to your mobile.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrostyPredator wrote:
I suggest you re-visit Trapster and take a closer look at how it operates,

I'm well aware of how it operates thanks.
Quote:
you will then in fact find that it relies on real time subscriber human verification. Real time, not every week or every month.

Indeed so, and as we have found, subscribers make poor verifiers! They'll mistakenly submit all manner of CCTV, ANPR and other non-speed cameras and even when submitting the correct data, the accuracy of the locations will be wildly off the mark.

We verify so as to remove these errors and improve the accuracy of the data. That is our 'added value' but yes, if you want free data and are happy to live with the errors then there are other options. Many of our subscribers are not happy to use data riddled with errors.
FrostyPredator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have Area Moderators to verify the suggested data, very much like your database really. Don't get me wrong here, I think the work you and the team have done over the years is fantastic and has helped many people, but the time is quickly approaching when you are going to have to reduce the subscription fee or allow people to buy as they need, say a couple of quid at the most.
With Trapster counting up nearly 6.5 million users and gaining tens of thousands of new users per day I'm sure it won't be long before they obtain the majority of UK iphone and satnav users.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrostyPredator wrote:
or allow people to buy as they need, say a couple of quid at the most.

We used to, and it was widely abused and pirated so it went.
Quote:
With Trapster counting up nearly 6.5 million users and gaining tens of thousands of new users per day I'm sure it won't be long before they obtain the majority of UK iphone and satnav users.

Those numbers mean nothing, they're users who have registered rather than active and being free it's easy to get a large number of users. It's the core regulars who count and more importantly, the core who contribute.

Contribute to ours and you could get free lifetime membership, which gets you better data AND free.

Theirs may be free now but they can't survive ad infinitum with a free model.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
even when submitting the correct data, the accuracy of the locations will be wildly off the mark.
I think that this is possibly a little disingenuous to a lot of our spotters, isn't it?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Darren wrote:
even when submitting the correct data, the accuracy of the locations will be wildly off the mark.
I think that this is possibly a little disingenuous to a lot of our spotters, isn't it?

It's not intended to be, bit it is a fact. I'm not suggesting these errors are malicious but we're all fallible.

Aside from the misidentification, the issues of recording a pinpoint location whilst travelling at speed is not the fault of the spotter but does require we take steps to correct the errors that result.
CJ57
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked at a few areas I know and fixed cameras seem ok, weakness appears to be mobiles - but to be honest by their very nature even the pgpsw mobile alerts don't guarantee there'll be a camera there. I do like their route planner showing the cameras on route -bit quicker than suimulating- I can remember adding pgpsw pushpins into Auto route to get similar effect - but now more a novelty than of real use.

I guess you pays your money (or not) and takes your choice. I had to use the Garmin database recently until I resolved a problem with my pgpsw data base and found it was fine - plus the same cost. It will be interesting to see how long Trapster stays free and what the competition does to price, although a few quid either way is unlikely to make any great difference to most - you'll either go for paid, move for a free one or one say 50% cheaper.

As regards accuracy everyone sems to claim to be best - and they probably genuinely believe it - but based on using pgpsw & Garmin, and a scan of Trapster none are 100%; and if its one dodgy site accuracy that catches you out then 99.9% accuracy for everything else will be no consolation at all!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ57 wrote:
As regards accuracy everyone sems to claim to be best - and they probably genuinely believe it - but based on using pgpsw & Garmin, and a scan of Trapster none are 100%; and if its one dodgy site accuracy that catches you out then 99.9% accuracy for everything else will be no consolation at all!

OOI, where have you found an omission and have you reported it?
CJ57
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashamed to say I didn't bother reporting - it was a mobile that went missing between downloads for which someone obviously did the right thing and did reported it.

Which sort of proves my point, no matter how well intentioned there'll always be some lazy beggar like me that will let the side down. In my defence it was when I was using my i3 and could never work out how to accurately mark / report a location. Hopefully with my new 'beast' I'll be more community spirited.

Based on what I've experienced, at around £20 for Garmin & pgpsw I'll probably stick with pgpsw out of familiarity, if Garmin were £10 I'd move to them. Before I switched to anything else I'd probably want to run them side by side to assess any compromise - but could I really be bothered?
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anything there seems to be too many cameras listed. On my daily M25 run, all the actual cameras are listed, but so are the camera signs on several gantries Sad.
It does have a good feature where the camera shows a google streetview image of the actual location. For a free service it is pretty good, and a lot more accurate than tomtom's.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: