Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Free Trapster Speed Camera locations on TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Free Trapster Speed Camera locations on TomTom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoolsTwo wrote:

It does have a good feature where the camera shows a google streetview image of the actual location. For a free service it is pretty good, and a lot more accurate than tomtom's.

As verifiers for PGPSW, we often use streetview as an extra tool to double-check our findinds and to discuss between ourselves exact positioning, changes etc. but there's absolutely no wayyou can use it as actual confirmation of the presence or otherwise of a camera. Reality changes all the time and Streetview is just a snapshot which is already likely to be months (or more) out of date.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Reality changes all the time and Streetview is just a snapshot which is already likely to be months (or more) out of date.

As an example:

Spot the two Specs camera on the top left of the gantry, these were removed from the roadside over 12 months ago! so it does go to prove Google Street view isn't very good for accuracy checks.

As a side note the TomTom database still has this strech of M6/ M55 covered with 50MPH Specs cameras, I have told them more than once they have long since gone but I guess they are not interested! - Mike
gcranston
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting for a free thing, but doesn't really seem to have any range of mobiles around here (loads on pgpsw). I know there isn't 'guaranteed to be a camera there' as someone said, but that's not the point of them being on pgpsw. I quite like the interaction of streetview, but appreciate this is a fun gimmick (appeals to me!) rather than actually being any use.

The discussion of ongoing subscription price seems bizarre though. We're promoting trapster as being a community thing where everyone can add cameras... but do exactly that on here, and then its free for life! I'm happy with my small and one off investment: if I were to be adding cameras to Trapster that I'd seen, I'd be there for quite a while. Wheras on pgpsw its actually quite rare to see something that's not on already. Just don't think I could have confidence in trapster.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcranston wrote:
The discussion of ongoing subscription price seems bizarre though. We're promoting trapster as being a community thing where everyone can add cameras... but do exactly that on here, and then its free for life!

exactly! "if you help us out then you get it for nowt" (hey, don't steal it, i'm gonna copyright that!!)

and if you don't want to contribute then you subscribe and pay.

gcranston wrote:
on pgpsw its actually quite rare to see something that's not on already.

now, there's a great soundbite if ever i saw one!

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
exactly! "if you help us out then you get it for nowt" (hey, don't steal it, i'm gonna copyright that!!)

Northern git

MaFt wrote:
and if you don't want to contribute then you subscribe and pay.
"and if you don't want to contribute and play then you must subscribe and pay" scans better (for us southern gits, anyway)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: