Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 940 (etc) screen freeze
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 940 (etc) screen freeze
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: TomTom 940 (etc) screen freeze Reply with quote

Just an update on the screen freeze issue that quite a few of us have been discussing on and offline lately ...

I sent the TomTom 940 back to TomTom on Monday and received it back this morning. Great response and service so far.

They returned my original unit, stating "no fault found". I called TomTom support immediately (ready for battle!) but was immediately reassured that the unit had been reflashed and reloaded from scratch (with an apology that the leter was misleading). Again, so far so good.

I then immediately backed up the TomTom's contents to disk (full drive copy - not using TT Home). Although I've already followed TT's reflash/reload instructions 3 times, I noticed that the contents from their reflash differs from the backup I made after my own reflashes/reloads - therefore I'm still hopeful this may make a difference.

I'm now going to run the TT in this vanilla state for a few days. I'll then let TT Home upgrade the TT App and maps. Finally, I'll add back my custom POIs (including PGPSW speedcams).

Hopefully this will sort the issue for good but I'll post an update as things move on. Anyone else had success with this approach ?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I have noticed is that the screen freezes usually occur just after a traffic update and that when HD traffic is not working, there are far less freezes.
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
One thing I have noticed is that the screen freezes usually occur just after a traffic update and that when HD traffic is not working, there are far less freezes.

Yes, agreed that's what I've seen too - and always when I've had a route planned in (which I guess is when traffic updates are pulled every three mins). Over ther next few days, as I build the system back step-by-step to where it was, I'll keep a route always planned in to have the best chance of recreating the freeze (or hopefully, not!).
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, several days in and quite a few motorway and local journeys, all seems good so far. Have now installed a completely fresh version of TT Home (killing everything in My Docs\TomTom and Applications Data, etc before reinstall). Then I've allowed Home to fully upgrade the "virgin" TT to later maps, latest app, TT speedcams, petrol, etc. Have also added back all my custom POIs (with the PGPS speedcams switched off in terms of Show On Map, but warnings are on).

Fingers crossed for next few days ...
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final update to this ... hope this helps anyone with the same issues.

Since getting the unit back from TomTom, I've not had one single screen freeze (sods law what will happen on my way home now though ...). That's now 3 weeks and quite a few long journeys.

So anyone with this problem, I'd recommend you get the item back to TomTom within your warranty period. Mine was returned after just 4 days which was very impressive.
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milesey wrote:
So anyone with this problem, I'd recommend you get the item back to TomTom within your warranty period. Mine was returned after just 4 days which was very impressive.

What does the TomTom service documentation show in terms of what they have supposedly done to the unit to fix the problem?

As I have a 940 that never had a map freeze (while voice navigation continues) in the first 6 months of its life but has now done this several times in recent months I personally reckon this issue is not hardware related.

Also my relative's newer TomTom 750 unit is periodically experiencing the same issues. I doubt that TomTom have done anything other than a test of the hardware and a reinstall of the software.
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orac1 wrote:

What does the TomTom service documentation show in terms of what they have supposedly done to the unit to fix the problem?
Also my relative's newer TomTom 750 unit is periodically experiencing the same issues. I doubt that TomTom have done anything other than a test of the hardware and a reinstall of the software.

You're right - check my first post in this thread. All they did was a full reinstall ("the unit has been reflashed and reloaded from scratch" - to quote the person from TT support).

I had already performed a similar procedure myself (3 times), however it was done using instructions provided by their Support team and not from an original backup. As soon as I received the unit back, the first thing I did was to make a full backup of this working state just in case the problem comes back.
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milesey wrote:
I had already performed a similar procedure myself (3 times), however it was done using instructions provided by their Support team and not from an original backup. As soon as I received the unit back, the first thing I did was to make a full backup of this working state just in case the problem comes back.

At the end of the day the screen lock ups are an inherent current defect in the x40 x50 units in conjunction with the current Navcore. Sooner or later through one of the many software glitches we all experience such as the unexplained occasional spontaneous hard reset starts etc an x40/x50 unit will end up in a condition where it starts to screenfreeze from time to time (even though the spoken navigation instructions continue).

TomTom is showing its usual head in the sand reaction here by trying to make out that the end user is at fault in some way and has done something wrong when the reality is that it needs to get on and release a Navcore update for the x40 and x50 units that overcomes the problem. Or they could come up with a downloadable tool that detects the state of files on the unit are involved in the screen hang condition and resets them to a known factory default condition where they work correctly. Forcing customers to pack up and return to Holland units that are not actually physically defective is a ridiculous approach for TomTom to take.

But this is the same as their response to the numerous out of date petrol prices and phantom dead petrol station issue where their response to a massive problem is to simply try and make it hard for customers to log a complaint with support rather than just getting on with the perfectly easy task of cleaning up their database by removing dead petrol station entries and threatening to strike out a price listing for any petrol company who does not have a way to automatically supply TomTom with a new price at least once every 24 hours.
newsagent
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Normandy at the moment and for the last 3 days my 750 is locking up every 5-20 minutes. Never had this problem before and the unit is only a few months old. It keeps losing track of my position also, showing me in the middle of fields and trying to send me down non existent roads.

To say it is annoying is an understatement, I've thought about throwing it out the window a few times.
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newsagent wrote:
I'm in Normandy at the moment and for the last 3 days my 750 is locking up every 5-20 minutes. ...

Definitely get it back to TomTom as soon as you can.

Orac1 is right in that TomTom should take responsibility for this issue - either by fixing their code to trap for these freezes properly or by implementing a fix for the so-called "corruption". However, unless users log these faults with TomTom and subsequently cause them cost for the collection, reloading and returning of the units, there's little incentive for them to prioritise the work.

So - anyone with this issue - please contact TomTom.
hoolahoops
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent back my 3 month old 950 last week (after a week of TT support suggesting the usual re-format and re-install rigmarole which as expected had made no difference - the unit was still locking up a couple of times a week).

They sent me a replacement out the same day they received it. The only problem now is I can't get the live subscription working on the new unit (says operation cancelled every time I enter my account details). Currently waiting for TT to find a fix. Ho hum.

TT Go 950 Live. Fixed Brodit mount
Motorola Moto 4G
hoolahoops
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: TT support says the "operation cancelled" problem can't be fixed. They are arranging for a 2nd RMA and another replacement unit. Have offered 2 additional months Live subs in "compensation".

TT Go 950 Live. Fixed Brodit mount
Motorola Moto 4G
Juniper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this thread by searching, because I have just hit this problem. I only got my 750 on 5th April, but this weekend I did Bristol to Croydon to Canterbury to Bristol, and the screen froze 4 times. The first 2 occasions, tapping the screen then Done to get back sorted it out. The 3rd, I ended up holding the power button for ages to kill it, then again to restart. It produced some kind of error dump that I regret not photographing - certainly a screen full of writing, but given that I was driving, I used the power button twice and all was well for the next 150 miles.

I used Home to do updates when I first got it - am I to assume that another update isn't going to help, and I should get TomTom to take it back and do something with it?
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juniper wrote:
I used Home to do updates when I first got it - am I to assume that another update isn't going to help, and I should get TomTom to take it back and do something with it?

As you've seen from my experience, I ended up messing about with this issue for months and only a return to TomTom fixed the issue (which I'm pleased to say is still the case).

If you have a backup from when the item was first switched on, then that is probably worth restoring, however if in any doubt, I would contact TomTom ASAP and get them to sort the unit. Also, the more people that do this, the more that TomTom will be inclined to fix this issue properly.[/b]
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To reset your device press and hold the on/ off button until the device plays the drum roll at this point release the button or the unit will display a black screen covered in white writting (which is probably what you saw on the unit) this is quite normal. No idea why the x40/ x50 units do this annoying screen freeze, lets hope for a Navcore update to rectify this snag soon - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: