Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nissan Connect - database help in simple language?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nissan Connect - database help in simple language?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Nissan Connect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jga40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Nissan Connect - database help in simple language? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just bought a new Nissan Quashqai which has 'Nissan Connect'. I've checked out that Camera database supports the above, but the instructions for how to load them into ' Nissan Connect' are a bit too techie for me.

I've been a member before when I had a Garmin i3 Street Pilot, but before I subscribe again, I want to make sure that I can actually download and install it. I'm a Mac user and have several USB flash drives, the largest being 5 GB, but I don't understand the instructions about creating a folder as in the past I have just used a Garmin POI Loader downloaded the database to my MacBook laptop, then uploaded to my sat nav.

Can anyone with 'Nissan Connect' or any other member give me some help in simple language.

Many thanks.

Jim
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just thinking the best way for someone to do this....
It might be simpler if you can copy and paste the instructions and point out the bits you don't understand or where it goes wrong for you.

To get you started, assuming you are using the instructions from HERE, to make a folder you just use the Macs Finder to create the first folder called "myPOIs" and then make another one INSIDE THAT called "myPOIWarnings".

You then paste the downloaded camera file inside that second folder.

I don't use Macs that often, and don't have one in front of me, so I can't remember the EXACT steps for creating a folder inside another one, but this topic on another forum may help:
OS 10.4 - how to create a new folder within a folder in finder
jga40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

I found a file I'd saved on my Mac laptop a couple of months ago when I had a Garmin i3 Street Pilot.

I deleted all the files as per the instructions, except for pocketgps_uk_sc.csv.

I created a folder called myPOIs, and within it a sub folder called myPOIWarnings and put it on a USB flash drive, then plugged it in to the USB socket on my Nissan Connect vehicle, then chose to upload my POI's as instructed. No message came up that the file had been uploaded, despite all the data for Nissan Connect being there.

Looks like it won't work, as I contacted Nissan and was informed quote " Dear Mr Allison,

REF: 1-1BJEWG

Thank you for your e-mail to Nissan regarding your Nissan QASHQAI.

It is currently not possible to upload speed camera locations on to the Nissan connect system.'

I give up. I'll take out a new subscription and use my 3 year old Garmin i3 Street Pilot to give me safety camera databases.

Seems like Nissan Connect can't do the job it claims !!!

Jim
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why give up? If you are taking out a subscription try again.

Others have been successful despite what Nissan says. I believe the initial instructions came from Nissan themselves.

Full instructions are here

Do a search on the words Nissan Connect and you'll find others who have succeeded. Whilst it does appears to have some pit falls if the instructions are followed exactly it does work.

link edited by MaFt
toolly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jga40 wrote:
Hi Andy,

I found a file I'd saved on my Mac laptop a couple of months ago when I had a Garmin i3 Street Pilot.

I deleted all the files as per the instructions, except for pocketgps_uk_sc.csv.

I created a folder called myPOIs, and within it a sub folder called myPOIWarnings and put it on a USB flash drive, then plugged it in to the USB socket on my Nissan Connect vehicle, then chose to upload my POI's as instructed. No message came up that the file had been uploaded, despite all the data for Nissan Connect being there.

Looks like it won't work, as I contacted Nissan and was informed quote " Dear Mr Allison,

REF: 1-1BJEWG

It is currently not possible to upload speed camera locations on to the Nissan connect system.'

I give up. I'll take out a new subscription and use my 3 year old Garmin i3 Street Pilot to give me safety camera databases.

Seems like Nissan Connect can't do the job it claims !!!

Jim

Just uploaded the file on a Qashqai, worked fine for me...

I started with a blank USB disc,
formatted it to fat32,
created myPOIs
then created myPOIWarnings
then copied the file into that folder.

I was doing this on a PC but the only possible difference I can see with doing this on a mac is that mac filenames are case sensitive, try creating the directories in all lowercase.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jga40 wrote:

Clearly Nissan are talking bull**** there as the Connect DOES support speed camera alerts as the manual points out?
bdstanton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When copying files from pocket gps do you ignore the mobile file and the bmp images or do you copy those as well?
Thanks in advance
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdstanton wrote:
When copying files from pocket gps do you ignore the mobile file and the bmp images or do you copy those as well?
Thanks in advance

Mobiles are included in the main pocketgps_uk_sc.csv file. The additional file, pocketgps_pmobile_sc.csv is the Privisional Mobiles file, the purpose of which is explained on the download page:
Quote:
What are the pMobile files?
The pMobile files were added as an extra set of warnings so that you could be aware of places that may have a mobile camera in place. They are sites that have been submitted but not yet verified and so have not been checked for accuracy.

I do not know if the Nissan Connect system can support the upload of more than one database, feel free to experiment. If it can then the decision to install the pMobile file is yours. Some do, some, because it is 'unverified' choose not to.

If it does install can you or anyone else who has clarified this issue, reply here so I can update the guide?
bdstanton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: nissan connect Reply with quote

Thanks darren. I get my new car next week and will try to upload both data bases and let you know. What about the bmp image should that be uploaded or does the sat nav have its own images?
Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly once again it's not clear if Nissan have their own internal bitmap image or use ours. Any clarification appreciated!

Not having a unit to test makes it difficult for us, all we have had to go on is a .pdf of the manual sent to us by an owner.

So if you do spot any errors in our install guide or can improve it we'd be delighted to receive any suggestions.
jga40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Nissan Connect Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

Sorry that I haven't posted recently on this, but my brother-in-law died suddenly and I've been in West Cumbria with my wife and stayed for over a week.

I can confirm that I've now got my Nissan Connect on my Quashqai to accept your Speed Camera Database. There was a problem with my USB socket on my car which has been rectified.

As first instructed, I created two folders, 1 called myPOI's and 2nd called
myPOIWarnings which put inside the first folder.

As per the instructions, I deleted all files except pocketgps_uk_sc.csv

Having now had the opportunity to test it, it works fine without your bitmap file. It appears Nissan Connect doesn't use the same graphics for Gatso, Mobiles, Redlight etc. It gives an audio warning, then a small splashscreen telling me what type of camera I'm approaching, no graphic image.

Now that I've mastered it, and know it works, I may just try uploading your bitmap file later today and see if I get the graphic images.

I'll let you know how things go.

Thanks to all who replied to my original posting, I am most grateful, and just about to 'phone Nissan Customer Service and let them know that Nissan Connect can accept Speed Camera Database and give them the link to this great site.

Kind regards,

Jim
bdstanton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: nissan connect Reply with quote

Uploaded bitmap image but doesn't display on connect screen. The actual speed cameras are identified by a splash screen accompanied by 1 beep to warn you. Better than nothing I suppose but not ideal.

The actual splash screen warning is very wordy and somewhere within the body of the copy you can see mobile ot gatso etc but you have to be quick to see it before the screen disappears. Not having an image on the screen of the camera is frustrating as you ahve to guess where it is.

Overall nissan better sort something out like move to a tomtom platform for their nav system.
jga40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissan Connect Reply with quote

jga40 wrote:
Hi Darren,

Sorry that I haven't posted recently on this, but my brother-in-law died suddenly and I've been in West Cumbria with my wife and stayed for over a week.

I can confirm that I've now got my Nissan Connect on my Quashqai to accept your Speed Camera Database. There was a problem with my USB socket on my car which has been rectified.

As first instructed, I created two folders, 1 called myPOI's and 2nd called
myPOIWarnings which put inside the first folder.

As per the instructions, I deleted all files except pocketgps_uk_sc.csv

Having now had the opportunity to test it, it works fine without your bitmap file. It appears Nissan Connect doesn't use the same graphics for Gatso, Mobiles, Redlight etc. It gives an audio warning, then a small splashscreen telling me what type of camera I'm approaching, no graphic image.

Now that I've mastered it, and know it works, I may just try uploading your bitmap file later today and see if I get the graphic images.

I'll let you know how things go.

Thanks to all who replied to my original posting, I am most grateful, and just about to 'phone Nissan Customer Service and let them know that Nissan Connect can accept Speed Camera Database and give them the link to this great site.

Kind regards,

Jim

Hi Guys,

I think I spoke too soon Sad Today I downloaded the latest csv version and connected it to my Nissan Connect, and chose as instructed in your installation guide' My POI's'. I was advised that new POI's available so inserted my flashdrive and pressed 'download'. However, halfway during the process, the progress bar was about midway, my Connect screen just went blank and didn't upload the latest database. It did however delete my previous camera database, so now unprotected.

I've tried several times to upload without success, including creating new myPOIs and myPOIWarnings folders, and downloading the update again, deleted all files except pocketgps_uk_sc_csv

Finally, I decided to erase my Flashdrive, and being a Mac user which Nissan Connect doesn't support, I erased the Flashdrive as MS-DOS (FAT) which is the only other option to Mac OS Extended.

Repeated all of the above at least 4 times but still won't upload, the screen just goes blank.

Can anyone advise me if I'm doing anything wrong as I want my speed camera database back.

Many thanks.

Jim Crying or Very sad
dalek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get it sorted? I would reformat on a friends PC to FAT32 (or FAT16). I'm back at this site looking up information in preparation to collect a new Qashqai +2 on Monday and expect to give the connect a thrashing if it isn't even as good as Navman's SmartST for 3400 GPS sleeve(for ipaq PPC) from about 2002 at the very least, let alone TT3 upwards towards IGO2006 and igo8.
Has anyone got anything remotely good to say about the satnav on the Nissan Connect? ? Or is it really best to leave as Bose Radio, MP3 player, reversing camera and hands free calling

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Nissan Connect All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: