Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Apple's new iPad WiFi 3G reviewed.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple's new iPad WiFi 3G reviewed.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest in the 2+ weeks that I have been using the iPad. I have only missed flash once (on SpaceFlightNow.com) but that as not a biggie as they have an iPhone specific feed anyway.

If all you are intending to use it for is the browse websites at home then you would be better off getting a netbook. If what you want is a great multipurpose device that is truly portable then the iPad may be the ideal device for you.

Not defending the Apple stance of policing what a mature user is free to install on THIER device I can sort of see why they dont like flash. Flash is often the cause of my laptop running flat out because it is using all the resources, but not actually doing anything. Think of what a greedy power hungry app can do for your device.
mikeprytherch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: iPad = No Flash... waste of £400 ! Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

you do know that facebook now encode videos using non-flash format? and old ones are gradually being transcoded:

All new videos are encoded in h264 format, so we're playing videos natively in the iPad since it supports h264-encoded videos. It will load them full-screen, similar to what it does for YouTube videos."

the iphone specific bbc iplayer site also uses h264 format.

MaFt

Totally agree MaFt, Flash sites should banned along with Javascript, however until that happens this is an issue, I agree that there are some sites now using different encoding, however for every one you list that doesn't use Flash I can find 100 that does and and that's the issue.

gajet makes a valid point about the competition... I think I will wait, its a personal thing as for me the iPad will be mainly used as a web browser therefore I need flash support (unfortuantely).
gajet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually in the US they have a solution
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cloud-browse/id346618309?cjid=10492644-1225267-u444439t1976862f9fp0c0s581

Sadly it's not available in the UK store.
Mozmoz1958
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Apple's new iPad WiFi 3G reviewed. Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:

The iPad is simply too big for most cars. I am sure that I will find a solution that will allow me to mount mine in the small confines of my Mercedes sports car, but in general it will either be dangerous for visibility or covering some of the cars controls. Having said that it will be ideal for truckers, or in the motor-home where of course it will double up as an entertainment centre during rest breaks.

Car mounts are already starting to appear:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SkltRqOF5k

Shocked
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: iPad = No Flash... waste of £400 ! Reply with quote

mikeprytherch wrote:
Totally agree MaFt, Flash sites should banned along with Javascript

as much as i dislike some uses of javascript (usually by new web site makerers being lazy) such as pop-up alerts, image-roll overs, drop-down menu's etc it is a very powerful tool. couple with some server-side scripting like PHP or ASP and a bit of XML it gives you the very very very powerful AJAX. basically allows information on a page to be updated without having to reload an entire page. a few examples include google maps, wordpress's admin area, the 'auto-fill current values' on our camera submission form, google mail / google calendars etc, lightbox effects (like our image 'pop up') and a tonne of other useful stuff.

likewise, i hate flash but if used properly it doesn't ruin the experience when browsing on an iphone or other device that doesn't support it. i.e. if a whole site is made of flash then you seriously reduce the accessibility of it. if the flash is for an advert, slideshow or 'small' part of the sites layout then it's not a big issue as you can still see the content.

anyway, i feel we digress - i do think the lack of flash is over-exaggerated, likewise the lack of multitasking (which will be added with OS4 anyway) and both are probably non-issues for the majority of users who don;t think twice about opening Outlook, checking emails and then closing it before opening firefox to check facebook - even on their mega-powerful PC that can easily handle multi-tasking!

MaFt
pixor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sitting here with my UK iPad, and I can tell you that lack of Flash for video is almost a non-issue. Almost all video I am coming across on sites is available in a format that works on the iPad. This appears to have been a change that's been taking place over the last couple of months. Oh, and Microsoft have come out against Flash and for HTML5 too...
Evilution
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_dr wrote:
Do you reckon I could cut down my 3 data SIM and use that?

Yes, I did this to my 3 data sim last night and it's been working perfectly.
Turn the iPad off, slide the cut down sim into the iPad.
Turn it on.
Click settings, cellular data and then APN settings.
In the APN field put three.co.uk and leave the username and password areas blank.
Toggle airplane mod on then off and press the home button.
Wait for a few seconds and you'll get your 3G signal.

3 now offer microsims for iPad usage so I don't see why they would stop iPads being used on their tariffs. If you go into a 3 shop, I'm sure you'll e able to get your account transferred over to a microsim if you don't want to cut the sim down.
alan_dr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Evilution.

I have a standard 3 data SIM that I only need to use occasionally. What I would really like to do is cut it down for use in an iPad, but be able to put it back in some sort of holder when I want to use it in my dongle. Are such holders available? Also, what did you use as a template to cut it down?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_dr wrote:
Thanks Evilution.

I have a standard 3 data SIM that I only need to use occasionally. What I would really like to do is cut it down for use in an iPad, but be able to put it back in some sort of holder when I want to use it in my dongle. Are such holders available? Also, what did you use as a template to cut it down?

Exactly what I want to do as well maybe www.cutmysim.com has the answer we are looking for. €19 for cutter and holder.

I would like a data only sim for my iPhone ie use the AT&T from my iPad when I an in the USA, and cut down a PAYG sim for UK use in the iPAD.
Evilution
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_dr wrote:
Thanks Evilution.

Sorry, I meant to mention that, I have done the same. I went on Ebay and bought a microsim adapter so I can still use it in the dongle.
I bought it from ebay member applemead_entertainments if you want to look.

I had bought the adapter before the iPad arrived so had it ready to go. The newly cut down sim pushes into it and slides into the dongle. Everything works as it should do. Very pleased.

I didn't use a template, I just offered it up to the iPad microsim holder and started cutting. Little bits at a time and keep checking the fit.

I like the look of the sim cutter mentioned above, depends how patient you are. Don't worry about cutting the sim, as long as you stay away from the contacts you'll be OK, the contacts are quite big so you have a bit of play when cutting.

I will add a "how to" on my website soon (it's a car how2 site but I do occasionally cover other things). www.evilution.co.uk
When it's added I'll add the link to the front page.

Last edited by Evilution on Fri May 28, 2010 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Flipper69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why doesnt it have a camera ? Because that will be the hook for iPad v2....
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surley as a navigation device the iPad is not a starter for one reason alone.

If I'm out for the day and use a PND it can easily be slipped into a jacket pocket the the wifes handbag.

The iPad is far to large for either of these options so your either stuck with a large bag of some kind or leaving in the car. Neither of these seem attractive to me.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoeknee wrote:

If I'm out for the day and use a PND it can easily be slipped into a jacket pocket the the wifes handbag.

The iPad is far to large for either of these options so your either stuck with a large bag of some kind or leaving in the car. Neither of these seem attractive to me.

I think you are missing the point of the iPad here. The iPad is not just a navigation device. It will be more suitable for some things and less for others.

The point is that it is a ground breaking device. It doesn't fit into any of the current usage models for gadgets, and it fits into them all... And there lies the problem. There will be lots of people comparing it to a single device and saying its no good, rather than comparing it to all their devices and saying WOW it does everything they do and then some...
Evilution
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_dr and MikeB

http://www.evilution.co.uk/692

Mike - I have purchased the sim card cutter than you linked to, when it arrives I'll add that info to as it makes the whole thing a lot easier.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Antoeknee wrote:

I think you are missing the point of the iPad here. The iPad is not just a navigation device. It will be more suitable for some things and less for others.

The point is that it is a ground breaking device. It doesn't fit into any of the current usage models for gadgets, and it fits into them all... And there lies the problem. There will be lots of people comparing it to a single device and saying its no good, rather than comparing it to all their devices and saying WOW it does everything they do and then some...

Not at all Mike, the review includes mention of its GPS function.

I'm sure that the iPad will have great success though the phrase 'jack of all trades master of none' comes to mind.

I've had a play with an iPad and yes its good though the price and some of the limitations are still enough to make me think its not the device for me, well not at the moment anyway.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: