Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mount that stays on for a 520T?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mount that stays on for a 520T?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Mount that stays on for a 520T? Reply with quote

The standard TT mount that came with my 520 about 2 years ago (circular suction mount one end, square, movable part on the other end) refuses to stay on the screen in warm weather. Is there a suitable replacement for this that actually works? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has purchased an alternative mount and can vouch for the fact that it can cope with our current temperatures.

PS I'm not looking for one with a power connection, just a simple mount.

Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider a Brodit Pro-Clip to suit your car combined with the Brodit "Ball" that they supply to fit the TomTom iPhone car kit. The standard "Head" (the square part of your faulty mount) can be simply unscrewed and attached to the Brodit "Ball"

I have a full series of pictures on the PC at home detailing how to do this and will post up some instructions along with the pictures later today - Mike
GMC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks Mike, details awaited.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to work out the idea from the following threads where I have detailed how to do this for a number of other TomTom devices, I know the standard x20/ x30 mount will fit as I have tried it and taken pictures, just need to write it up!

Here

Here

Here

Here

As a clue, look at the front of your mount and in the center of the square part is a small notch, insert a small screw driver in to the notch to lever out the center disk, its only clipped in to position. Once thats removed you will see four Philips head screws remove these, the front part of the mount can now be removed from the stem, finally pull the rear collar off whats left of the mount.
Reassemble the parts of the mount that you need on to the Brodit Ball and you have an adjustable mount that cannot fall off at all, check out dsldevelopments.com for a Pro-clip to suit your vehicle and the necessary "Ball" part.
I will add the full guide with pictures later - Mike
GMC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, can I take it that you don't have any truck with suction devices then?!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMC wrote:
Thanks Mike, can I take it that you don't have any truck with suction devices then?!

Sorry don't quite follow that??

I don't like screen mounts full stop, not because they can fall off but more because of the cables being strewn all over the inside of the car, attaching the device to a Brodit Pro-Clip that fits over the air vent offers a very neat installation as its easy to run the power cable through the air vent hiding it out of sight.

On my center air vent Pro-Clip I have the mini USB power lead, RDS-TMC receiver lead and an Audio Line out lead all via the air vent with very little in sight (less to attract the low lifes that break in to the car!) - Mike
GMC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking.

Any particular supplier of the Brodit bits, or are they only from the manufacturer?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSL Developments are the UK stockist, click Here for their home page, enter your vehicle details in to see the available options for the Pro-Clip to fit your car followed by the "Ball" part number which should be mentioned in the write ups linked to above showing how to turn the Start, One Third, One Easy Port mounts into dash mounts - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a Brodit ProClip mated to the Rolls Royce solution, a Carcomm cradle.

Superbly made solution. It comes with a suction mount but is designed to be permanently fitted if preferred and will affix to a Brodit mount easily. I use one with my 730 and 950.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all you will need a Pro-Clip to suit your car and brodit "Ball" attached to the Pro-Clip, I would suggest you attach these two components before fitting this to the car, as it avoids slipping with the screwdriver and damaging the trim of the car!
In addition you need the TomTom supplied windscreen mount to act as a donor for the device specific addaptor.

Using a small screwdriver inserted to the small cut out visible in the center disk of the TomTom mount simply lever/ flick out the disk:

Once the center disk is removed four Phillips head screws are revealed, remove these with a suitable size driver (the screw heads are rather shallow and small, don't loose the screws as they will be needed later). The rear cup will now float free and can be pushed down the stem of the mount:

First of all remove the part that is fitted around the ball, secondly remove the rear collar which will take a little force to seperate the assembly, by now you should have a pile of bits looking similar to this:

Push the rear collar over the Brodit ball:

Attach the square section of the TomTom mount to the rear collar using the four screws removed earlier:

Re-fit the center cover by pushing it back in to position:

Next we move to the car, this is the assembled x20/ x30 Brodit addapted mount in my Ovlov V70:

Finally with the device attached, note the power cable is routed through the air vent to avoid having wires all over the inside of the car:

Avoids the costly purchase of an active mount with all the security of a physical attachement to the dash structure that doesn't rely upon suction cups - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the accessory after market x20/ x30 mount called the "Easy Port" which can be modified in a similar way, to start you will need a Brodit Pro-Clip to suit your vehicle and the Brodit "Ball"

Have a close look at the top of the TomTom Easy Port x20/ x30 mount and you will see two rubber "plugs" these are simply levered out using your finger nails to reveal the two Phillips head screws:

Remove the two screws and the mount simply "falls appart"

Re-assemble the TomTom supplied parts to the Brodit "Ball" to end up with an assembly looking like this:

What does it look like in the car, well here is the mount in the Ovlov V70, power cable is routed through the air vent which avoids having wiring all over the cabin of the car:

With the device attached in the lower position:

The "Easy Port" x20/ x30 also offers the option to rotate the mount shoe through 180 degrees which offers a higher position for the PND:

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: