Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Travelling using Telmap5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Travelling using Telmap5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Telmap User Group
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acelink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Travelling using Telmap5 Reply with quote

I am currently in Canada and will be travelling to Greece,Italy,Croatia and Turkey next week.
Will Telmap5 work in these countries?
Will it automatically change from Canada to the country I am visiting?
I will only have GPrS data access and not BIS or BES data while visiting the above countries. Will the application still work?
Data rates using GPRS range from $2.50 per MB to $20 per MB depending on the country I am visiting. Is the app data intensive as to make it too expensive to use at those data costs?
Typically i will use it for walking directions whilst on this trip. How much data does a typical route use?
Thanks
TUGAdmin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Traveling wtih Telmap5 Reply with quote

Hi Acelink,
Telmap5 should work in all the countries you list. Please just be aware that digital map coverage may not always be 100% depending on where you are in those countries - however if you are in major cities you should be OK.

Once Telmap5 detects your location the country setting should change automatically. Either way - you can search in any country by selecting "Change country" from the Options menu when the search field is open.

As long as you can establish an internet connection you should be OK - even with GPRS data.

we have found that "typical" monthly usage of a 5 - 10 navigations consumes a few MB of data per month - however if you are using the application intensively while traveling it could indeed be more. Data roaming charges may indeed become significant. If you are concerned, you could try using this data counter to monitor your data usage:
http://www.ehnert.net/MiniMoni/

I'd be happy to hear how it goes with Telmap5 during your travels.
thanks
TUGAdmin
acelink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Travelling with Telmap Reply with quote

Tested Telmap5 on my Bold 9700 in Croatia (Dubrovnik), Athens, Santorini, Corfu (Greece), Bodrum (Turkey) and Venice (Italy)
Mapping was slow but I think this may have been in part to the SIM card as I was using a World SIM card without Blackberry plan only a prepaid data plan using APN settings of mobiledate and TCP-IP.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Telmap User Group All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: