Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Android/Windows mobile
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Android/Windows mobile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Android/Windows mobile Reply with quote

had Destinator on the iPAQ PDA for a long time and looking now at good Sat Nav for the car for a possible new mobile phone.

What's the current state of the nation? I see Destinator 9 is out for Android, likewise Co-pilot.

Anything appeared in the last few years that I've missed? There's not much to seperate Android from Windows mobile but happy to take advice from the collection knowledge.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's Sygic for both Android and WinMob. A very good navigation app - very similar feel to TomTom but with better customer service Wink

available directly from sygic.com

MaFt
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son runs Co Pilot on his Android and he says it works perfectly. I've always been a fan of Co Pilot back to V5....

Sygic looks like a good alternative mind you

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an HTC Hero running Android 2.1 and like it a lot. It is now over a year old and has been superceeded by newer HTC models which are supposed to be faster and better (basic rule of new technology!).

I use the Hero for Sat Nav in my car. You can't get Tom Tom on Android, and it looks like you never will. I run both Sygic (UK & European maps) and Copilot (US maps) on it. Copilot is cheaper (hence bought for occassional use in the USA) but I prefer the interface of Sygic, which is very similar to Tom Tom. To be honest both work fine, I just find Sygic more logical to use.

I have a Bury Bluetooth car kit in my car which works well with the Hero and Sat Nav. When I get directions or warnings the car audio mutes and the sound comes through the car speakers. However I have also set it up so that if in a hire car (in USA) I just plug it into the charger and put it on a windscreen mount. The phone switches to loudspeaker mode so I can use it as handsfree, and the sounds from the sat nav also come through the loudspeaker on the back of the phone. So works well without any bluetooth adaptor.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the HTC Desire and was considering getting Co Pilot Uk and Europe or Sygic.... I think I'll try Sygic for a change as I keep hearing good things. Although as I said Co Pilot is also very good so either product would fine IMO.

For me that way I'll just have one device in the car...nice.

peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If, as appears from your signature, you are used to Tom Tom then Sygic will be easier to pick up intuitively. Simple things like accessing the full range of menus just by tapping anywhere in the map view. Whereas with Copilot you have to hit the seperate (and small) menu button to get all the menus. - in the 3 weeks I was in the States I never did get used to that.

However either should run well on the Desire, which is newer and better specced than the Hero. And the US version of Copilot is $20 whereas Sygic wanted about £50, so $75. The pricing is much closer if you want European maps though.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Phil-w
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwing in my Ten peneth worth....

Have used TT for years, on PDA's, the XL units etc and have found it very good for routing. I've got Co Pilot on my work phone (HTC Hero), works OK but I do find routing can be a bit strange at times.

I also use GOOGLE Navigator on the phone, you require a small data package with your phone for that and reliable phone coverage but it works very well, no ability to add the PGPS speedcams yet !!! Shame.

Just left Windoze HTC Touch HD for a nice shiney HTC Desire as my own personal phone and wanted SatNav for that....

Google nav still works very well on that for UK but wanted a cheap backup for holidays abroad... Western Europe mainly.. Searched the Android Market and found Ndrive.

If you look on the Web at their web site, Western Europe is 59.99 Euro's but it you download and install the 7 day trial of the software off the Market with a free trial map of your choice, the whole of Western Europe is available to buy on for only 19..99 Euro !!!!

It is over 2 gig of data so would suggest wifi for that download!

Yes it does seem a little different in operation to TT etc but for the price it appears a bargain and at least it won't use roaming data when abroad.

And I have got the PGPS speed cams in it !!

They do have a lot of maps listed via the Ndrives store screen at very cheap prices, but the W.EU seems a very good deal.

Anyway, thought I would just drop yet another option for Android in the mix, just to confuse you even more !!

Cheers...

Phil
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter and Phil.. much appreciated. I suppose the question is...is NDrive any good ? I have a lovely HTC Desire as well and was considering TT, Sygic or Co Pilot...always like options though...

I note on the Sygic website that if you select Mobile Maps 10 for Android it only offers Aura. This seems to be wrong ? Unless they are deliberatley forcing Android users to buy Aura...which is expensive and has lots of eye Candy that I don't want...and I'm not even sure what maps come with it...if any. It says "World" in the title but no detail of what countries that actually is and if the are included or extra..which would make it ridiculously expensive.

I have asked Sygic by the way and waiting for a response

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: