Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - searching for street and address in the US results not found
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

searching for street and address in the US results not found

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Telmap User Group
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vibsak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: searching for street and address in the US results not found Reply with quote

Hi I'm running the telemap 5 on BB 8900. from the map when I search for a street address in the US it doesn't return any results , however generic searches for POI returns back with results, example Museum, Restaurant etc.

Is there an update required for the maps ? How can I just search a street address and then drive to it from the "current" location.

Thanks,
j8ke20
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have had issues finding addresses in the US also.. right now the search is not very good in Telmap 5.

I think they made the wrong choice by going this simple one input field search interface. Its just not working very well for a lot of people.

I hope they are working to fix the search engine soon..
Vibsak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: searching for street and address in the US results not found Reply with quote

Is there a fix or a new version coming up shortly to recognize US addresses ?

Looks like the databases are not up to date. even street address with zip code is not recognized.

please fix this issue.

thanks,
Vibsak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: US Address Search Reply with quote

Pl advise how to search for address and select and drive to it. I wrote to TUGADMIN as well. I've tried all possible combinations and even the full address with the zip code, still no results found. It is returning POIs and the full address details with phone number.
I also tried inputting the address in the search bar exactly in the format like the POI addresses returned, still no results found.
Vibsak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Seraching US Address Reply with quote

The new version also continues to lack the feature of returning results of address from the search bar. Let me tell that the chances of thorough beta testing is increased with addresses. For example, I needed to see a consultatnt. To meet him, I need to use his address and then navigate, since this app won't return any results, it is not possible to use this app. I had to use my other app for navigation purpose. Missed opportunity to beta test !
In my humble opinion, the first starting point on any good navigation software is to find addresses to people map and drive there, I'm sure the beta will progress faster and better and release the final product in a quicker time to market.
The new version also doesn't load maps at higher zoom levels.
In summary, this app is just occupying precious memory space on my BB.
TUGAdmin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thank you for your input.
Telmap5 is still in beta and we continue to work to fine-tune our search algorithms. Using a full postcode is usually the best way to search. In order for us to investigate those address search issues, we need to know the exact phrase you were searching and didn't receive results for. You are also welcome to send this information to tugadmin at Telmap dot com, if you prefer.

Best regards,
TUG admin
Vibsak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Searching for address in US Reply with quote

Hi Tugadmin, Sent you an email. I've given two actual addresses that I had tried to navigate to. You can in fact try try any other valid address with full zip code in the search bar. It will always say No results found. If you fix this, the app is almost a good navigation option as one thing I found in this app is its amazing ability to latch on to the GPS. Very rarely it has lost GPS connectivity. other apps lose it.
Vibsak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Searching for Street and complete address in US Reply with quote

Hi TUGAdmin, any findings from the sample addresses that I had emailed you ? Are there plans to tune up your search engine in the next version to return correct addresses... Thanks
djt1970
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Exact Same Problem Reply with quote

I am having the exact same problem. I can even locate a position on the map and get the location info. The address appears, but if I search for that same address it doesn't work. So far no addresses in Maryland have been found, but when I changed the state to Virginia I was able to successfully search for an address.
Vibsak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Searching for Street Address in US Reply with quote

Hi djt1970, The search is not very standard. Sometimes it returns results but most of the times it doesn't. I've sent some sample address for TUGADMIN to analyze. You can also send your sample addreses to TUGADMIN.
I'm yet to receive their response.
You are right that you can get the full location info by pressing 1, but if you serach for the exact same address it doesn't return results. Sadly, this has limited our beta testing opportunity. We can only use this version when a POI is our destination, if you need to navigate to a particular address, you just can't use this app.
Hopefully, this will be fixed to give us the opportunity to test this beautiful app and also enjoy its benefits.
svenrex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there been any progress on US addresses yet? Like others have commented, I would love to be able to better beta test but without US addresses being recognized, I cannot do much with the product.
TUGAdmin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi forum,
I'd like to respond to all the requests regarding search in the US in the context of the User Group.

After some investigation I can say that our support for search in the US is limited and works better in some regions compared to others.

As a rule of thumb, when searching for an address you can try the following format:
[Number] [Street name], [city/town]

For many requests I have received this has worked, but is not a solid rule and sometimes does not work.

The only workaround I can suggest for now is to display the location you are looking for on the map and select it as a destination on the map.

We continuously work on our search engines and hope to produce better search results for you in the future.

Thanks
TUGAdmin
nycbbuser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... the lack of a solid search for US addresses has really limited my ability to betatest Telamap on my BB 9700.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Telmap User Group All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: