Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - my impressions after 12 months of usage
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

my impressions after 12 months of usage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cygnusx04
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: my impressions after 12 months of usage Reply with quote

TomTom one v4. Removed old tomtom speed camera POI's. Installed pocket GPS cams. On the whole, very pleased, here are my findings.

1) despite having the POI's set for route only. When following a route, I always get camera alerts on near by roads that are not on my route - very annoying.

2) can the POI's not be clever enough to work out your travel direction and thus only show cameras on your side of the road? I suspect this is a limitation of the software OS rather than pocket GPS POI's.

3) occasionally I will a get a verbal alert repeated right when travelling over the POI location. Seems pointless. Usually when lots of POI's close together.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: my impressions after 12 months of usage Reply with quote

cygnusx04 wrote:
can the POI's not be clever enough to work out your travel direction and thus only show cameras on your side of the road? I suspect this is a limitation of the software OS rather than pocket GPS POI's.
You are right. It's not the POIs but the satnav s/w that is not smart enough. About 2/3 of our cams have directional data, Very Happy but not many devices can use this information from 3rd party POIs. Sad I'll let an expert answer 1 and 3
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The software uses a cone shaped "angle of acceptance". If you therefore use a large enough warning distance then it is possible for the base of the cone to include nearby roads.

3. Because the software can only handle 1 warning at a time, it has to pass the first location before it can proceed to the next. This is most noticeable when travelling on dual carriageways, when there are 2 adjacent cameras marked on an over-bridge.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Also, TomTom have changed the definition of what is "on your route".

For example, if you are travelling on a major road and pass a junction, the entire slip road and roundabout etc. coming off the main road are now included.

I believe this was because the TT "missed" many of their own POIs such as the Motorway Service Stations, which are obviously some way off a junction.

Unfortunately, there are often cameras or mobile locations on these roundabouts so we now get alerted for them spuriously.

Blame TomTom.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: