Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatNav and iPad?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatNav and iPad?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: SatNav and iPad? Reply with quote

An inevitable topic I suspect, but what's the compatibility between SatNav apps and the iPad?

If you've bought an app for the iPhone, can you also use it on the iPad without buying again?

I spotted mention of a question as to whether the iPad even has proper GPS, unless you buy the 3G version.

I'm trying to envisage an iPad on the dashboard running some SatNav software. Great for those of us with poor eyesight but (a) will you be able to see anything else on the dashboard (b) is any dashboard mount going to be man enough to hold it without tearing a chunk out of the dashboard and (c) which plonker is going to mount it in the middle of the windscreen?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you connect it to the same iTunes account then any software you have purchased for your iPhone will be available to load to the other device (works with two iPhones so I don't see why it wouldn't work with the pad thingy).
GPS with the pad is a strange one, all I have seen is positional data is available on the GPRS equipped devices which would suggest it only uses the phone network transmitters to triangulate positional data, I guess its a wait and see, but without a GPS receiver the nav apps wouldn't be much use on one of these IMHO.
I got a battering for suggesting this last time I posted it but it still applies - If you need a nav unit with a screen as large as an iPAD then you need to consider two things - get your your eyes tested or hang up the car keys, in all seriousness a screen the size of an A4 sheet of paper clipped to the dash would probably interfere with some of the controls of the car and therefore illegal, I certainly wouldn't be trying it, but you can bet you life on it some idiot will have one attached to their windscreen at some point! - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has now been confirmed that GPS IS available on the 3G equipped devices. On WiFi only iPad's it uses WiFi Triangulation which is at best hit'n'miss.

yes it may be too large for an in-car device but it might be a great solution for Trucks, Motorhomes etc.

If not specifically designed for iPad then any app can be run in native resolution with a huge border around it or in 2x resolution where each pixel is doubled.

Of course there may be iPad updates, we shall have to wait and see but certainly apps such as RouteBuddy's Atlas would be lovely running in full iPad resolution with OS map tiles.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend uses a tablet for navigating with his yacht, so that's probably a really useful implementation.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR wrote:
A friend uses a tablet for navigating with his yacht, so that's probably a really useful implementation.

Absolutely, Memory-Map on a tablet, might even see waterproof cases appearing in due course.

Now if only Apple would pull their fingers out, announce UK pricing,3G availability and open pre-orders!
HJC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the Navionics marine maps? they have just added an online overlay of google maps to their offline marine charts. impressive enough on the iphone but on an ipad it will really be very effective, as long as you can get a decent 3G signal.!

sorry maybe a little off topic
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/marine-uk-holland/id299896238?mt=8
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note that the iTunes update now divides apps into those that are iPad compatible, which includes none of the SatNav apps I have bought.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the iPad compatibility is, i would assume, those that have a specific iPad 'mode' - i.e. the app detects which device it is running on and adjust resolution / layout etc accordingly - there are a few. it would also include ipad only titles such as Worms HD etc.

as far as i'm aware ALL iphone apps will run on the ipad. albeit, as darren says, either with a big black border around it or at double the pixel size

MaFt
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhh OK, gotcha.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at This showing an iPAD in a car running TomTom and then later on Navigon - Mike
gajet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Have a look at This showing an iPAD in a car running TomTom and then later on Navigon - Mike

Very interesting. The description says they were using the Tomtom cradle for a GPS receiver, (presumably after some modification Laughing Out Loud), as that's a WiFi only iPad.

It's also worth mentioning that there is now an app for Jailbroken iPad, that allows them to connect to a Bluetooth GPS device.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the Tomtom iPhone app will NOT run on iPad, with it returning an error due to an unrecognized gps chip. But Navigon's works well.

A quick rundown is here: http://www.gpsreview.net/ipad-gps-navigation-preview/#more-3465
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
I understand the Tomtom iPhone app will NOT run on iPad, with it returning an error due to an unrecognized gps chip. But Navigon's works well.

Was working in the YouTUBE video linked above. But if they were using a hacked TomTom cradle that would explain how.

Wouldn't be too difficult, all you need is a 30-way extension cable which can be bought on-line.

TomTom will have to release an update as the iPhone 4G/HD is rumoured to use the new GPS chipset found in the iPAd 3G's.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's odd tho that TomTom apparently looks for a specific chip, whereas the Navigon app ( and most others?) will load and run on the iPad.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
It's odd tho that TomTom apparently looks for a specific chip, whereas the Navigon app ( and most others?) will load and run on the iPad.

i can't see how it would look for a specific chip though unless apple have given tomtom 'non-standard' access in their sdk?

from my understanding an app is coded to, basically, ask "dear ipad/iphone, please can you tell me where we are now?" - regardless of hardware, signal type (cell triangulation, wifi location or actual gps) etc - the SDK send the location to the app.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: