Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator 3 in N.Ireland
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator 3 in N.Ireland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Destinator 3 in N.Ireland Reply with quote

Hi,

Is anyone using D3 in Northern Ireland? - I spend most of my time in the North but would also be interested in your experiences of coverage in the the South.

I'm not sure whether to buy TTN3 or D3. From what I've read, D3 may provide better coverage in these areas as it uses NavTech data.

Thanks and regards,
Phil.
Caprice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you explain me what the difference between NavTech data and something else? What it can be and how many it cost?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's two major suppliers of geodata to the companies that product the various navigation applications. One is called NAVTEQ (apparently they restyled themselves - they used to be Navtech), the other is TeleAtlas.

Each has their own strengths and weaknesses, which, to an extent, will feature in any product based on that particular mapping.

So far as Ireland goes, NAVTEQ are undertaking a major mapping exercise to try to improve their coverage. I think the exercise is more to do with the Irish Republic than Northern Ireland, but I believe NAVTEQ's Northern Ireland coverage is superior to TeleAtlas' anyway.

As an end user, you can't buy mapping directly from NAVTEQ or TeleAtlas - you have to buy the maps for the application you're using.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: