Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bridge height info
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bridge height info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quinny1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Bridge height info Reply with quote

If I install a certain bridge height poi, say 14'9" will my unit warn me of any bridge up to that height, or will I need to install others up to that value?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it won't, you'll have to install them all.

A POI is just a point on the map, nothing more, nothing less.
The TT doesn't know or care what it is, and all it does is show that point on the map display and (if you tell it to) sound a warning that you are approaching it.
So if you approach a bridge and you've installed a POI file called Low Brigdes 14'9", all that happens is the TomTom says "here comes a POI with that name".

Another major disappointment is that a TomTom cannot create route that avoid certain POI types, so it will still route you under a low bridge, and then tell you about it at the last minute.

The only way to do it properly, is to buy the full "truck" package from TT which has all the bridge heights in the map data and WILL route round them.
wellchilledguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This a programme called ProCab, Google it, that may interest you.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been reading the stuff on the ProCab website, and I'm not sure what you actually get....
As far as I can tell, it is just a POI collection, with categories relevant to truck drivers. Unlike the TT "Work" sysstem, I can't see any mention of any actual software that routes around the restrictions.
I could be wrong though....
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I see this on their site:

Intelligent Warnings - "driver friend" feature
To avoid the problem just click on the "divert" or "detour" functions and the sat-nav will take you around the problem and then back to the best route as quickly as possible. Using our "Driver Friend" option - you can get proCAB PLUS to warn you about probelms based on the types of road you are driving.

So, maybe it will work as the OP desired.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, that does seem to be additional functionality, but a lot of it just seems very carefully written to imply it does more than a standard POI-equipped system. For example, it cannot CREATE a route which avoids low bridges...
Quote:
"Pre Plan" feature

This is used before you travel - to find the problems and plan routes that avoid them. Browse the map and see where the probelms are, or use the route summary to see a short list of every probelm on route. You can then review these and choose the roads to take. Its easy to make sure that you dont just avoid bridges, weight and width limits but also housing estates, farm tracks, rat-runs and other unsuitable roads.

That's no different from an ordinary TomTom and a list of bridge POIs.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you are correct there, Andy.

The functionality with that data seems to be that, on a bridge by bridge basis, you can get alternate routing........not the same as knowing from the start, as you said.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably, if you are concerned about bridge heights, the solution, as has been stated, is to buy the "commercial" package, which does resolve the problem. As long as Tom Tom is able to get an extra couple of hundred pounds for this function, it's never going to appear in the "domestic" versions.
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
Presumably, if you are concerned about bridge heights, the solution, as has been stated, is to buy the "commercial" package, which does resolve the problem. As long as Tom Tom is able to get an extra couple of hundred pounds for this function, it's never going to appear in the "domestic" versions.

You're right of course Crying or Very sad If any company can fleece a set of purchasers over and above an initial outlay, then they will. Having said that, an 'avoid POI category' option would hardly be difficult to implement and I can't see it complicating the menu system for 'basic' users (as I think TT call them). I'm sure enough people would want (for example) to be able to plan a route avoiding McDonald's (other fast food restaurants are available) so the kiddies don't pester too much. OK, with the number of these it could take TT a month or two to calculate a route, but the theory still holds Confused
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had the time you could open the low bridges POI file (using POI Edit or similar) then go into Map Corrections and mark the road as blocked wherever there was a low bridge that you were likely to encounter. You would not want to share that false blockage via Mapshare.

You could do it on the unit for a particular route by planning a route then searching for a low brdige POI on that route then blocking the road at those points in map correction.

If you did not want to permanently avoid low bridges you could move the map correction files onto your computer and add them back to the TomTom when you needed to avoid low bridges.

Someone who has lots of time on their hands could go and produce map correction files for all low bridges then publish them for a particular map/version.
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what file holds these corrections and how to read the file?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gluey wrote:
Anyone know what file holds these corrections and how to read the file?

Which corrections? The Low Bridges POI, or your map corrections in general?

The Low Bridges info would be in a standard .ov2 format POI file and can be read by several programs such as POIEdit or Tyre.

The map corrections are split into several files,
ServerNameIndex, ServerLineIndex and MapServerPatch do the downloaded corrections and
MapUserPatch.dat and UserPatch.dat handle your own ones.

I don't know of any way to "read" them with an external program.
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi andy,
I mean the map corrections file.
I know if i block a road on my map it will avoid it.
If you could load your corrections with the bridge locations it should avoid them.

Just need to know how to put them into the file in one go and not using the correct map error on the unit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: