Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom iPhone adds HD Traffic, Local Search & a free map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom iPhone adds HD Traffic, Local Search & a free map
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw got an email from TomTom Support, and the confirmed the traffic server was down on Sunday evening and Monday morning.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

penna wrote:
I would agree in principle - but what happens when you go on holiday and don't have any data for a couple of weeks

Mike explained his idea to me once - the only bit I understood (it made my head ache, but it sounded good) would mean the device is verified by GPRS at boot up every day, by some strange handshake method, with the handshake code changing every time. If you went on holiday for two weeks without using it, the device would need only the handshake code issued to it from the GPRS server last time you used it.

This is probably nothing like what it really means when Mike talks of it, but it works for my head of little brain! Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR wrote:
gatorguy6996 wrote:
The sales figures aren't secret, tho perhaps a bit disappointing? Around 180,000 total worldwide copies of their iPhone app sold since release according to TT in an interview early this month.

How does that compare with WM though?

I'm guessing they'll have sold a few hundred thousand of their standalone devices.

I'm not sure what you're asking, but if it's how many standalone/pnd devices TomTom sold in the last year, it was nearly 12 million. So the mobile side of Tomtom is comparatively quite insignificant so far. If the question instead is how many WinMo phones were sold in the past year, that answer is around 15 million.

Sorry. Edited to correct number of WinMo phones sold in 2009.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
This is probably nothing like what it really means when Mike talks of it, but it works for my head of little brain! Confused

Think of it as a version of the Enigma encription machine used during WW-II a great idea that took years to crack, but instead of using radio transmissions it employs tiny packets of data supplied over the GPRS connection, to those that understand the activation system it would basically mean a new .meta.dct file every day and I some how think the users that crack map activations would get tired of this after a few days/ weeks.
As for avoiding data charges at 132 Bytes (Note, not Kb) any roaming charge would be tiny and any Live connected PND would get this as part of the service anyway - The bigger issue would be server outage IMHO - Mike
sn00p
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

As for avoiding data charges at 132 Bytes (Note, not Kb) any roaming charge would be tiny and any Live connected PND would get this as part of the service anyway - The bigger issue would be server outage IMHO - Mike

That's not really true though, data roaming is a system wide option, therefore the moment you flick it to on, there are a number of things that will go off and start requesting data without any interaction from you, contacts, mail etc. Lets not forget that once you've started TomTom to do the "activation", it'll go off and download traffic data once it's verified itself...plus you forget what you've doing...you don't exit TomTom to disable data roaming and you happily go off on your journey. It's not till you come to use TomTom the next time that you realise that you forgot to switch data roaming off and...wham...you've got a huge data roaming bill.

Sorry Mike, but this is (IMHO) the worst idea I've heard in a long time.

It's a moot point though, they'd never get such a system past Apple.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
I'm not sure what you're asking

How many copies of TomTom have been sold for WM (Windows Mobile) devices.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure even TomTom knows the total of the various versions sold. Based simply on the fact that v7 was bundled with the HTC TouchPro, and that phone was extremely popular, I'd expect many more copies of it so far than the iPhone app. But just a guess.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom must know, even if it's via map purchases with bundled versions.

Equally I'd be amazed if the WM version outsold the iPhone, even based on the few months it has been for sale.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you might be amazed. In 2007/early 2008 alone, HTC Touches sold with TomTom's Navigator software included totaled over 2 million units. "Back in the day" TomTom's navigator software was pretty widely distributed, particularly by HTC. Millions more copies of the WinMo navigator software than what TomTom has placed on the iPhones so far if you just count how many HTC bundled.

Sources:
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/PCWorld/story?id=4162742
http://news.softpedia.com/news/800-000-HTC-Touch-Phones-Sold-in-Three-Months-67447.shtml
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean bundled versions though, as these only came with city maps, if that. I mean in respect of genuine sales of a product, or a full map with a bundled version.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than test the patience of the moderator's any further, back to an iPhone question. How well has the HDTraffic matched up to what the x40/x50 pnd's show? Just as timely/current and generally identical?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
Just as timely/current and generally identical?
Yup, very rare to spot a difference when running the iPhone comparing it against the Live devices, bear in mind this is UK based so its also using the HD Traffic which is different to what you guys have to play with - Mike
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
Rather than test the patience of the moderator's any further

? By having a discussion? Confused
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR wrote:
gatorguy6996 wrote:
Rather than test the patience of the moderator's any further

? By having a discussion? Confused

You're supposed to get shouted at if you go off topic. But they only really mean me (get shouted at, that is). Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
geordiekid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I just ask about one feature I'm keen on before I take the plunge and buy? I know there's no way to add custom POI, but then one of the latest features of the most recent update was:

Quote:
ADD LOCATIONS from other applications and websites on your iPhone to your TomTom app and instantly navigate to them or store them as favorites for future use

So, what gives? Can you add the PGPSW camera database to TomTom or not? And if not, then what has this feature of the update given you, and how does it work?

I'm desperate to know, and have been checking the web for weeks now to see if someone would mention this, but haven't seen anyone mention it. Any thoughts, anyone?

best
gk

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: