Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom app and iPhone 3G
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom app and iPhone 3G
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't saying it doesn't work. It does. But from what I've seen on iPhones, the gps performance is not on par with a standalone TomTom. I don't own an iPhone, only driving along (or walking once) with a couple of friends who do, so I'll have to defer to those that have one. But if it was just as good, why put a redundant gps receiver in the carkit? Sounds like a needless expense.

I can only state as a fact that the location reliability on my Droid, whether as a driver or pedestrian, is better than any TomTom or Garmin I've had or have. Visually verified at a consistent 6' EPE.
JoshT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPS in my iphone is pretty good in the car although I have had some momentary drop outs. For that reason I've ordered the car kit to get more reliable GPS in built up areas. The car kit also has a speaker so you can boost then volume to the spoken instructions and have hands free calling for the phone.
Kirium
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshT wrote:
The GPS in my iphone is pretty good in the car although I have had some momentary drop outs. For that reason I've ordered the car kit to get more reliable GPS in built up areas. The car kit also has a speaker so you can boost then volume to the spoken instructions and have hands free calling for the phone.

I'm having the same thing but with navigon software, have you used your car kit yet ? How have you got on with it ? does it improve your sat signal ? and finally where did you get it from & for how much ?

I had an HTC Touch HD before it went belly up and got shafted on the warranty, no more HTC for me. I used the touch in the same car in the same position and can catagorically state the the iphone gps is pants in comparison. Even so I love the thing Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the TT car kit with any of the GPS based apps on my 3G iPhone, without the car kit the receptions is dire on my iPhone, it would appear some users get decent performance others are below where they should be.
With the car kit I don't get issues, time to acquire the signal is very quick, in my car is fitted a decent Bluetooth accessory for playing sound through the car speakers so I don't bother with the Line out or built in speaker.
My car kit arived by UPS or DHL I can't remember TBH which one directly from TomTom - Mike
fifeman58
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can certainly say that the TomTom kit made a huge difference for me.

My 3G works fine outside the car, but inside, it drops the signal all the time. The kit has a lot of adjustment and fits very well on my Mavmat.

I got mine from eBay (about £89 brand new from memory).
JoshT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirium - I ordered my TT car kit through the TT website for £ 99 inc delivery. Delivery a couple of days from Holland.

Car kit boosts signals so no drop outs now. Also gets GPS fix quickly. I guess the kit starts to get the fix as soon as it in powered on and not waiting for the iphone.

very pleased with it
fifeman58
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshT

One thing to note: the car kit shuts down the GPS in the phone, I think.

My MO is to turn TT on the phone on indoors, and by the time I get to the car, it has a route and is updating traffic. I then turn the engine on and plug in the phone. It then has limited signal for a few minutes while the car kit gets first fix.
Kirium
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to post an update, after reading the responses in this thread I bought one from TomTom. Fitted it this afternoon and had a tootle around town. TTFF is very quick, quicker than my ex - touch hd (which was awesome) didn't drop at all, navigon runs much smoother as well. Speaker is much louder than the iphone and the ipod works beautifully through the car hifi.

All in all very impressed and certainly worth the money, bit cheeky of apple though, as I would say the iphone gps is well below par and is unusable in a car - there should really be a disclaimer when you buy tomtom (or any nav app) from the app store saying you *need* a car kit, not that i bought TomTom and I'll tell you why.... I've used TomTom on my pda's since the turn of the century, I bought the software and maps. Then the cash cow PNDs came along and the pda users were left by the roadside, quite literally. When i left pda's and bought an iphone i looked at the choice of nav apps available and i thought it, you didn't want my cash then so your not having it now... I'm glad I bought the navigon, a change is as good as a rest and im really liking it Smile ... moan over.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experiences are mixed though. The majority of folks have no issue with the iPhone GPS fix in the car - mine gets a fix in seconds.

It seems that the 3GS is a lot better though, and perhaps car construction is a factor?
Nocky24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR wrote:
Experiences are mixed though. The majority of folks have no issue with the iPhone GPS fix in the car - mine gets a fix in seconds.

It seems that the 3GS is a lot better though, and perhaps car construction is a factor?

I've used the tomtom app on both my 3GS and old 3G and haven't noticed too much of a difference in gps fix. Maybe its a shade better with the 3GS but they're both very similar if they are different somehow. The main reason i upgraded the 3G though was so navigon would actually work...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: