Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom app and iPhone 3G
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom app and iPhone 3G
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ainsley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Tom Tom app and iPhone 3G Reply with quote

I bought this, attracted by the new price and free upgrade to the next version. But....in two days of constant use, after locking on to a signal NOT ONCE did the app have sufficient GPS signal to work. In the car, outside the car, and across a 3 hour drive and back again - always "poor GPS signal" and, of course, no navigation.

Tom Tom weren't interested as soon as they realised that I havn't shelled out for the car kit, but the app (and their website) clearly states that the app does work with a 3G iPhone and without the kit. My iPhone can fix my location in a second using the Maps app in the phone, so I'm presuming that the GPS chip itself is NOT faulty.

Anyone else had this problem and solved it ?

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPS receiver in my 3G iPhone is pathetic, that said for in car use I have the TomTom car kit holder which works very well, without the holder I probably wouldn't have carried on using the iPhone for in car navigation - Mike
ainsley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Tom Tom app and iPhone 3G Reply with quote

At least it's not just me, then.
hailstorm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3GS was a step up from the 3G in terms of GPS reception. If you are not upgrading any time soon I'd get the car kit.
phil_ellis
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an iphone 3g 16gb and find the tomtom app gets gps lock quickly and is useable without the tomtom car kit , its not perfect a bit of lag looses signal every now and again but it always gets it back quickly.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame about the 3G. The 3GS is fab. Gets a lock for me while stuck down at the bottom of the dash in a cupholder.
ainsley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom app and iPhone 3G Reply with quote

I think it all seems to prove that the 3G just isn't up to the job. Shame Tom Tom don't admit that upfront. I did actually manage to get a refund out of Apple on the basis that the software simply isn't fit for purpose if they state clearly that it works with one bit of hardware and then it doesn't (faulty hardware aside, accepted).

Upgrading now to a 3GS just isn't sensible even if I was out of contract. My 3G contract runs out in May so I'll be waiting a few weeks after that to see what the next gen iPhone looks like
nashmills
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any gps problems on my 3G. I have TomTom, Navigon and Smartnav. They all have their problems in their current incarnations but gps fix isn't one of them.

Like a lot of functions gps wasn't so good while I had it jailbroken but now I have unjailbroken it, it's fine.
ainsley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom app and iPhone 3G Reply with quote

It must simply vary from phone to phone then as my phone has never been jail broken (although I was tempted, just to replace the useless text alert sounds !)

There seem to be about equal numbers of reviews out there citing poor GPS reception or functioning reception. Surely it should either work or not, it shouldn't be a lottery as to whether or not your particular handset is up to the job ?

Anyway, I bought a Navigon so that's the end of my iPhone experiment.
fifeman58
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom app and iPhone 3G Reply with quote

You are right. My 3G sometimes works very well on it's own, sometimes not.

I have a notoriously bad car for Satnav (Pug 307), so wasn't expecting much, but i am very happy with the TomTom mount.

ainsley wrote:
It must simply vary from phone to phone then as my phone has never been jail broken (although I was tempted, just to replace the useless text alert sounds !)

There seem to be about equal numbers of reviews out there citing poor GPS reception or functioning reception. Surely it should either work or not, it shouldn't be a lottery as to whether or not your particular handset is up to the job ?

Anyway, I bought a Navigon so that's the end of my iPhone experiment.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom app and iPhone 3G Reply with quote

ainsley wrote:
I think it all seems to prove that the 3G just isn't up to the job. Shame Tom Tom don't admit that upfront. I did actually manage to get a refund out of Apple on the basis that the software simply isn't fit for purpose if they state clearly that it works with one bit of hardware and then it doesn't (faulty hardware aside, accepted).

Upgrading now to a 3GS just isn't sensible even if I was out of contract. My 3G contract runs out in May so I'll be waiting a few weeks after that to see what the next gen iPhone looks like

The gps performance of my Droid has been quite impressive, as good as any of my standalone pnd's from TomTom or Garmin, even better in some respects IMHO. You do have options other than Apple unless it's Tomtom and nothing else for your mobile app.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom app and iPhone 3G Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
You do have options other than Apple unless it's Tomtom and nothing else for your mobile app.

And of course unless you value the iPhone's OS and UI! Yes the iPhone's GPS is poor in comparison but I can live with that as I use it for many more things than just Nav.

I've got a HTC Hero and it I couldn't live with it as my main phone even though the GPS is much more sensitive. The Android OS still has a long way to go before it is as friendly and intuitive as iPhone's OS IMHO.

The 3GS GPS performance is more than adequate for me even without the TT car kit in the majority of circumstances.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nashmills wrote:
I don't have any gps problems on my 3G.

me neither. Confused
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a lock on the 3GS GPS within seconds, and it always seems accurate, even within the car. Not sure what the issue is here, unless it's to do with previous models.
JoshT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problems with my iphone 3G either in the car without a car kit

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: