Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iTunes account compromised after downloading CamerAlert?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iTunes account compromised after downloading CamerAlert?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: iTunes account compromised after downloading CamerAlert? Reply with quote

I've never had any problems with my iTunes account before. However, the other day I downloaded CamerAlert from the iPhone (i.e. over the air) and linked it to my PGPSW subscription. Since then I've had several unauthorized purchases to my iTunes account which had a gift card credit on it, and my payment card has been removed from my account.

Maybe it's just coincidence, but it did occur to me that I had the same password for my iTunes and PGPSW accounts (obviously I don't now...)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passwords on PGPSW are not stored in plain text, they are 'hashed' (that's why we cannot retrieve passwords for users, only change them).

We also do not know your iTunes account details. ALL the purchasing and account management is handled by Apple / the AppStore.

I would recommend getting in touch with Apple about the unauthorised purchases as there's nothing we can do about that - we can't even give a refund for our own app!

There is certainly nothing in the app that would 'steal' your details - it wouldn't have got into the AppStore if there was.

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had any emails from "iTunes" recently?

Is your password weak?

Using a strong and up to date Anti Virus? Please, not AVG Free....
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I've already contacted Apple thanks. No e-mails from iTunes, strong password and using a Mac which I scan regularly even though there aren't any Mac viruses in the wild.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that and we sympathise, but it's one hell of a leap to blame our app! It's a coincidence but it's not the cause.

There are many cases of iTunes accounts being compromised so either we're responsible for all the cases of hacked iTunes accounts or there is another cause.

We don't know your password and it isn't stored in clear text anywhere. The app has no access to your iTunes account details and the transaction between your iPhone and iTunes is handled by Apple in its entirety.

I know such issues are unpleasant and worrying but it doesn't help anyone if you start blaming us unjustly and with absolutely no evidence.
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it was just a question! I just wondered if the password could have been snooped "over the air" while I was entering the subscription details or something.

App is nice though Smile
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the password front (hence the question) you will note that I was using the same password for iTunes and PGPSW. I guess this was stupid anway, but it seems you don't store it anywhere (presumably you just compare the hashes) so no issues.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the password isn't available to us in any form hence why we would change it if as member forgot. All hashed.
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be a coincidence then. Feel free to close the thread. Cool
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to hear if you ever find out what the cause was. There are many posts about compromised iTunes accounts but no-one has ever established a common cause.

Apple are tight lipped as usual, their default answer is to report it to your bank/credit card company which is less than helpful.
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the weird thing is that the compromiser has removed my bank card details from the account. Maybe it wouldn't let them use the gift card credit without re-authenticating the bank card, so they removed the card or something.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: