Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announced fixed install iPhone car Kit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announced fixed install iPhone car Kit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: TomTom announced fixed install iPhone car Kit Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comTomTom have today announced a new iPhone Car Kit variant.

This one forgoes the windscreen suction mount for a mount that can be screwed direct to a Brodit ProClip.

The mount works in much the same way as the Brodit mount option which was designed to allow conversion of the existing windscreen type mounts. However the actual mount differs slightly in execution with the ball centrally located in the TomTom solution.

It's a welcome move from TomTom and as it is available at the same cost as the windscreen mount variant it will at least reduce the costs for those looking to mount their cradle permanently.

Being compatible with Brodit's ProClip means this version can be affixed to one of Brodit's vehicle specific no-holes mounts, a solution we are all big fans of here at PocketGPSWorld.
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's better.

I'm not a fan of suction mounts.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigfatjohn wrote:
That's better.

I'm not a fan of suction mounts.

Me neither, it was my one criticism (aside from cost) of the original version when I reviewed it.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price is still a rip off. Why does it cost more than a TomTom One for just mount?!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
The price is still a rip off. Why does it cost more than a TomTom One for just mount?!

You'd be fairer comparing it against alternative mounting solutions.

Perhaps the TomTom ONE sells in much higher numbers but I suspect there is some profiteering going on as well.

However, compared with a Brodit cradle at around £50 minus the BT, GPS, speaker etc it isn't bad value.

At the end of the day they can sell at whatever price they think the market will bear, Magellan's cradle is being sold at a similar price.

Do you have an iPhone Nick?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why does it cost more than a TomTom One for just mount?!

Quote:
Like the first cradle, the new model incorporates an extra, SirfStar III GPS pick-up. It also has a microphone and speaker for hands-free calling.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Like the first cradle, the new model incorporates an extra, SirfStar III GPS pick-up. It also has a microphone and speaker for hands-free calling.

I realise that but it doesn't explain why it costs more than an entire SatNav, with CPU, memory, battery, charger, LCD screen, *mount* and fundamentally, map licences on top of what's in this iPhone mount.

Darren: yes I have an iPhone.[/b]
Foci
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a tomtom mount and really thought it was a rip off, but once i got it out of the box i changed my mind its really good quality, looks good, and the bluetooth hands free function and GPS chip really make it worth that bit extra in my opinion.
Chrisnetx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just bought a tomtom mount and really thought it was a rip off, but once i got it out of the box i changed my mind its really good quality, looks good, and the bluetooth hands free function and GPS chip really make it worth that bit extra in my opinion.
I guess it's a case of don't knock it till you've tried it. I was also equally impressed at the functionality of the iPhone Car Kit, once you've seen the quality and what it can do it really puts the retail price in to perspective.
ajacques
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I correct in assuming that the new total cost of the Tom Tom mount is approx £150 ( £100 Tom Tom plus the vent mounting kit of approx £50 ) ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brodit Pro-Clip is typically around £15 to £20 depending upon your car, if you also want to add the mini move it clip to the bundle then that will add a further £15 (ish) - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajacques wrote:
Am I correct in assuming that the new total cost of the Tom Tom mount is approx £150 ( £100 Tom Tom plus the vent mounting kit of approx £50 ) ?

What vent mounting kit?
julio2906
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: iPhone hands free Reply with quote

I just connect my iPhone to the aux socket on my stereo and it works as a handsfree system,no extra cost at all and it works fine,callers can hear me clearly and I can hear them through the cars speakers,its not any fancy expensive stereo just a cheap kenwood one,i've even tried it in a friends car with a really really cheep stereo with a aux socket and it works on that as well.Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: iPhone hands free Reply with quote

julio2906 wrote:
I just connect my iPhone to the aux socket on my stereo and it works as a handsfree system,no extra cost at all and it works fine,callers can hear me clearly and I can hear them through the cars speakers,its not any fancy expensive stereo just a cheap kenwood one,i've even tried it in a friends car with a really really cheep stereo with a aux socket and it works on that as well.Smile

That's fine if your car has an Aux-In (not all do) but it doesn't resolve the GPS reception issues that the iPhone has for some. This car-kit has a built-in GPS receiver.
Joe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: loose swivel joint Reply with quote

Is there a way of tightening the swivel joint. I find it to be a bit to easy to be moved, even by the bend in the charging wire!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: