Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Looking at buying a GO 750 Live.. Any comments
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking at buying a GO 750 Live.. Any comments
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Looking at buying a GO 750 Live.. Any comments Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I will be out on the road a lot as of next week so its time to retire my old PDA with Tom Tom on and get a new one. I have been looking at the large amount of choice that there is now and think I am settled on the 750 live.

I think I am correct in saying that the difference between the 550 and 750 is the European mapping, which as I will use it in France is worthwhile.

Has anyone got any comments, good or bad about the 750.
Whats the live service like? I won't object to paying the sub if its worth it.

Mark
casper256
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: looking at buying ago 750 live Reply with quote

i think you will find a go750 an ideal replacement for
your pda
i have a 720 which t am happy with
i dont have the live feature
but someone i know does
he saya it good
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at buying a GO 750 Live.. Any comments Reply with quote

sparkyweb wrote:
I think I am correct in saying that the difference between the 550 and 750 is the European mapping, which as I will use it in France is worthwhile.

This is correct only the maps differ between these two models, if you need French maps in addition to the UK the 750 is a better bet than the 550.

sparkyweb wrote:
Has anyone got any comments, good or bad about the 750.

No mp3 player, no FM Tx but otherwise its not too bad.

sparkyweb wrote:
Whats the live service like? I won't object to paying the sub if its worth it.

When it works its very good, the Google search is handy and the HD Traffic is accurate for most conditions, roads that are closed (even motorways) seem to be an issue though and don't get reported/ acted upon correctly by the device - Mike
casper256
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: looking at buying a750 live Reply with quote

try satnaveasy.co.uk price 201-97 for new device
1 month live subscription free
7-99 amonth if you decide to subscribe
you wil get the lmg latest maps free
these units were 300 00 pounds
1 year
i think this is cheap for what you get
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.find-tomtom-deals.co.uk/ seems the going rate
sparkyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all the replies. I had a look in my nearest halfords today and think this is the model for me.

Has anyone used the bluetooth / handsfree option for linking with a mobile phone? What is the sound pickup etc like?
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 950 and an iPhone 3GS paired up without issue.

HD traffic is great, a couple of little issues recently, but it seems to have been ironed out.

Steven

iPhone 12
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 550 (750 available) from Amazon & 12 months live services are £35 if purchased at the same time as the unit - offer open till 2nd Feb
casper256
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyweb wrote:
Many thanks for all the replies. I had a look in my nearest halfords today and think this is the model for me.

Has anyone used the bluetooth / handsfree option for linking with a mobile phone? What is the sound pickup etc like?

yes i have used the blue tooth hands free
but i prefere a bluetooth head set
the hands free on tomtom picks up a lot of noise

Edited to tidy up quote - Oldboy
newsagent
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine yesterday and very impressed. I had trouble with the LMG 'not enough memory problem' Ended up deleting the original map and the new one installed ok. Should have more internal memory, I think my old 720 had 2meg and memory is cheaper now.

I like the mount.
Google live is a great idea, do we need POI's now?
Not to sure about fuel prices.
Haven't used traffic yet.

Don't like the usb cable, looks like the two pins could break very easily.
Would prefer a charging station.

Can anyone comment on the speed warning cameras, are they as good as PocketGPS ones?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newsagent wrote:
Can anyone comment on the speed warning cameras, are they as good as PocketGPS ones?

As a pure work of fiction the TT database on the Live device scores 100%

The following locations/ notes are from a couple of recent trips running the TT Safety Cameras on the 940 Live which was updated the evening prior to each trip (both within the last ten days) and are general comments for the areas concerned.

M55/ M6 interchange (South/ North bound) - These cameras were removed last MARCH and yet they still show on the device) The M6 North bound cameras never existed so I still wonder why I get warnings of something that never existed some ten months after the cameras in this area were removed completely.

M62 Loads of Specs (Average Speed cameras West of the Leeds area missing/ warning where there is no camera) Coverage is about as close to useless as you can get in this area for accuracy.

M18 again Specs showing on the device that were removed a long time ago.

M180 Specs showing that were removed a long time ago

M1 around Shefield the coverage is nothing short of a joke, warnings where cameras simply don't exist and no warnings for the true locations.

M6 around Lancaster No warnings of fixed cameras on both North and South carriagways

M74 warnings of cameras that were removed ages ago.

M80/ A80 complete waste of time both the speed and locations for Specs cameras wrong through the road works around Sterling.

A9 North of Perth still warning for cameras that were removed quite some time ago.

To be honest the accuracy of the locations and the rated (displayed) speed is far from reliable (I mean its pathetic and cannot be relied upon).

I am back down to Coningsby on Tuesday but I very much doubt the database will have improved in the past ten days, the offering from PGPSW was almost spot on throughout the trips used to highlight the above mess, make you own mind up as to which is best but I know which one I trust, the only error from the PGPSW offering in some 1200 miles of driving was around Lancaster and involved newly installed cameras on the M6, these are now active in the latest release of the database as from last Wednesday - Mike
newsagent
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
newsagent wrote:

As a pure work of fiction the TT database on the Live device scores 100%

To be honest the accuracy of the locations and the rated (displayed) speed is far from reliable (I mean its pathetic and cannot be relied upon).

I am back down to Coningsby on Tuesday but I very much doubt the database will have improved in the past ten days, the offering from PGPSW was almost spot on throughout the trips used to highlight the above mess, make you own mind up as to which is best but I know which one I trust, the only error from the PGPSW offering in some 1200 miles of driving was around Lancaster and involved newly installed cameras on the M6, these are now active in the latest release of the database as from last Wednesday - Mike

About as good as they were on the 720. That's all I needed to know, PGPSW subs renewed. Smile

Thanks for your input Smile

What about Google search. It appears to be very good, is it accurate though. Anyone had much experience with it or do you still use the free POIs?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience Google Search is very good - basically as good or bad as Google is on your PC as far as accuracy is concerned
It has got me out of trouble several times, but you *do* come to rely on it, and the LIVE services are still not 100% sorted. The time you really need it is the time there will be a server problem and the Go can't log in.

Also, it will always take a bit more time to do a Google search and to sift through the results, so I still use POIs for things like petrol stations, supermarkets, DIY shops etc. and save the Google for the oddities
For example, it's great for finding a particular sort of restaurant/food, although a search for "Brothel" seems to bring up "Buckingham Palace" for some reason! (serves me right for showing it off in the pub one day Laughing)
newsagent
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, no live services=no Google search hadn't thought of that Embarassed

I'm a bit reluctant to add items because of the lack of memory. I had a SD card on my 720 but found it slowed everything down.
I suppose with memory so cheap I could buy a 4gig card and try it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newsagent wrote:

I'm a bit reluctant to add items because of the lack of memory. I had a SD card on my 720 but found it slowed everything down.

Never seen that, personally. In fact, the perceived wisdom is that a fast SD card might work a bit FASTER then the internal memory.
My internal memory fried itself years ago and I've been running my 720 off a card ever since.
What did you put on the card, just a map or the entire system?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: