Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Living with the Inforad K1?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Living with the Inforad K1?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pghstochaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
pghstochaj wrote:
I might try the small Novus device next

Do you have money to burn? Their database is very poor in comparison to ours.

I can't say anymore re. AlerteGPS but if you want to throw money away on a Novus, donate it to the Haiti appeal and at least put it to good use.

I have only ever used InfoRad's K1, I don't know if their other units all operate in the identical fashion.

Not to burn, no, it's just I expect a product to be of usable quality and my experience so far is that these devices seem to ignore the user. I don't think it's too much to ask that a device doesn't annoy you to use it. The Road Angel Compact I bought was very poor to use - that swiftly went back under distance selling regulations.

If the database for Novus is also poor in comparison to the pocketGPSworld database then that's out too.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point I'm making badly here is that there are many more who are happy with the device then there are who aren't.

My experience with the alerts is that they are a little too annoying but others find they are perfect. You may be able to find a location that works better and muffled the sound a bit. I admit I haven't tried but as it is a SiRFIII chip it would work just as well in a glovebox where the alerts may be attenuated just enough to make it more liveable.

Indeed I'm going to give that a try as it may just be the answer!
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Inforad K1 Reply with quote

I got one of these little devices for my wife to use whilst she uses our family car which has a built in SatNav which cannot have PGPSW warnings added.
Yes, it is noisy when it goes off, but simply keep to the speed limit and its OK.

The bonus is that connected to my netbook running MapPoint/AutoRoute, and Garmin Mobile PC, its a superb GPS receiver. (A USB extension cable is needed to get it in the window)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Inforad K1 Reply with quote

stuart wrote:
The bonus is that connected to my netbook running MapPoint/AutoRoute, and Garmin Mobile PC, its a superb GPS receiver. (A USB extension cable is needed to get it in the window)

I keep forgetting that it is also a GPS receiver but why do you need to get it in the window? It should work fine inside the car?
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Inforad K1 Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

I keep forgetting that it is also a GPS receiver but why do you need to get it in the window? It should work fine inside the car?

I will also be using it with an old Dell laptop on a new ( 30 year old Impala) yacht this season which has no GPS Plotter, so Garmin nRoute will be used and the extension is required for suitable placing.
See you up The Solent. Guinness
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The point I'm making badly here is that there are many more who are happy with the device then there are who aren't.

I've no real complaints.

What do people want for nowt?
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make a point it does have a off switch ??

I find it can pick warnings up from nearby roads with a lower speed limit than what your are travelling on and will give out the over speed warning but myself just a click of the switch and its off and just click it back on a few hundred yards up the road .

After owing a Tomtom for many years I do expect perfection Smile
SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Inforad K1 Reply with quote

Have had one for 4 months now and it's a right irritating pain . . .

but a pain with some very good attributes. The lack of wiring is priceless, it works and fits in a shirt pocket so you don't leave it on view, it is very good at selecting which countries you want installed.

But back to that pain:
stuart wrote:
. . . . Yes, it is noisy when it goes off, but simply keep to the speed limit and its OK. . . .

That would be fair comment if the database were not so bad. It adds new cameras quickly but there are some idiots out there that see a variable speed limit at 60 and report that in as a 60mph speed camera. Months later the Inforad is still making my ears bleed when I'm doing a perfectly legal 65 round the M25.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the database on your Inforad is the one from this site, then I don't think you will get many people agreeing that it is "so bad" Cool Exclamation

I think the point is not that your alert is still set at 60mph, but that variable speed cameras are set to 0mph in the PGPSW database deliberately (as they may be set at any speed in theory) to make sure you do get an alert - unfortunately, if that is happening on the noisy K1 then you WON'T get any peace Rolling Eyes
SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"so bad" is unfair for most uses but it is not fit for the InfoRad K1

If the variables really are set at zero mph in the database then everyone is going to turn the damn thing off. It emits a deafening and continuous din for about 30 seconds for every camera if it thinks you are exceeding the speed limit.

And that 0mph won't explain why it goes off at 65mph on the 70mph speed limit A21 (yes I have reported the database error) , why it goes off on the M25 QE2 bridge (cameras were turned off months ago)

Bottom line is this thread is about living with the InfoRad. With that database and software it's not livable with even if you do keep to the speed limits.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the InfoRad K1 LED turn orange at a mobile camera site? I have received a warning at a number of known sites in my area but the LED always seems to be red.

At the moment I do not find the beeps annoying. If they really annoy you then they can be turned off by loading different files using the manager program. I have not tried doing this.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
If they really annoy you then they can be turned off by loading different files using the manager program. I have not tried doing this.

AFAIK, it's not possible to turn OFF the audio via the manager app?
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
Does the InfoRad K1 LED turn orange at a mobile camera site? I have received a warning at a number of known sites in my area but the LED always seems to be red.

The LED does turn orange for mobile sites, but in most ambient light conditions it is impossible to tell the difference between red and orange.

Quote:
At the moment I do not find the beeps annoying. If they really annoy you then they can be turned off by loading different files using the manager program. I have not tried doing this.

You can switch between single and continuous (if over speed limit) alerts, but only for fixed camera locations.
SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of InfoRad manager are you using Seamaster?

V3.6 is the latest I can find and it only lets me select continuous or single for mobile (not fixed) cams. If an earlier version let you change it for fixed cams I'd be happy to deuptate.
delboyuk1984
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Inforad K5 Reply with quote

I own a K1 and find it ideal for use when i use the companies pool vehicles. I recently went on the inforad France site on the web and it Lists a K5 which has voice alerts and a information screen.

I wonder if there are any plans to introduce this into the UK

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: