Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Living with the Inforad K1?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Living with the Inforad K1?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That K5 does indeed look interesting, especially as it appears to have a re-chargebale battery pack that can be clipped on the rear instead of plugging in to 12v.

I've asked Inforad if they will be offering that to UK customers but presumably if one was bought in/from France it could be updated with UK data easily enough?
SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick translation of this K5 link is encouraging:

InfoRad en Francais wrote:
Can I use my INFORAD abroad?

The warning radar Inforad gives you a European coverage and spreads to other continents.
The database our alarm Radar Inforad now contains more than 20 000 zones risk countries . . . .
Looks like same GPSW based database.

The 9 page French only Manual will take a bit more translating.

Update: section 11 of that manual translated via babelfish:

Quote:
11 - Update of the database
11.1 - Database of the positions radars

Your INFORAD is delivered with a database pre-installed, including/understanding the position of more than 65000 radars located in Europe, and currently covers the United Kingdom, the Benelux countries, France, the DOM TOM, Italy, Spain Ireland, Germany, Austria, Portugal, Sweden, Norway, Switzerland, Holland and Greece. Teams INFORAD furrow constantly the roads and check the validity of the database in order to ensure the best possible cover. Nevertheless, if you discover an anomaly or a new position radar which does not appear in our last base data, we thank you for us for informing some while using our software INFORAD MANAGER (form of information on zone with risk) or our Web site (to take part in the Inforad community).

The database evolves/moves permanently and in order to ensure you one maximum protection it is recommended to update your INFORAD in a weekly way using software INFORAD MANAGER.

Looks like it only displays in kph and French warnings so personally I'll wait for a true UK version
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveMPS wrote:
Which version of InfoRad manager are you using Seamaster? V3.6 is the latest I can find and it only lets me select continuous or single for mobile (not fixed) cams. If an earlier version let you change it for fixed cams I'd be happy to deuptate.

Sorry, ditto here, got them the wrong way round.
SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad that's a shame

There's been some detail discussion on living with the K1 in the Dartford Tolls thread
It appears that:
- InfoRad have tinkered with the PgPSW database to wrongly change from 70mph to 60mph the cam at the south end of the A21 Tonbridge
- tinkerings various for the variable cams at the SW corner of the M25
- have a poor directional algorithm

Oh and they don't reply (so far) to email correspondence.
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about "poor directional" alogrithams, I suspect they don't have any - or they butcher the PGPS database for reasons unknown

One of my locl cameras (GATSO:2455@30, Heading:15, Single Direction) sets off my K1 in both directions

I suppose it's just possible that they have had reports of the strip markings being in both lanes and assume that the camera therefore snaps both advancing and retreating vehicles - in which case I have serious reservations about Inforad, full stop
crimlaw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one yesterday as my next car has built-in satnav. I regularly drive in France and the UK. I was very disappointed to find that I cannot load the complete French and UK databases at the same time. I have loaded complete UK and French mobile at present and guess I'll have to reprogram when I get to France.
Did we ever discover whose French database they use? On my TomTom, I used to use the French GPSpassion datbase.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crimlaw wrote:
I was very disappointed to find that I cannot load the complete French and UK databases at the same time. I have loaded complete UK and French mobile at present and guess I'll have to reprogram when I get to France.
Is that a memory restriction problem? I THINK I've had the UK & Irish DBs loaded at the same time, but I can understand that the French DB will be bigger than the Irish one.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
crimlaw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's memory.

UK fixed = 35%
UK mobile = 33%
Fr fixed = 10%
Fr mobile = 28%

Total = 106%
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for the sake of argument you could load both French databases and perhaps the UK mobiles to give you some protection en route to the port, that would be better than nowt? The mobiles are the sites most likely to catch you unawares anyway both here and in France.
jonnyspin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any update on the AlerteGPS yet?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyspin wrote:
any update on the AlerteGPS yet?

Nope Crying or Very sad
jrleeming
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: K1 update manager Reply with quote

Just bought a K1 and downloaded the update manager 3.6 i think, it now appears to have an option to turn the audio warning off for mobile camera sites, i gather that was a big problem before,having too many alerts!
Bob
jrleeming
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: K1 update manager Reply with quote

sorry managed to duplicate my post somehow !
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: K1 update manager Reply with quote

jrleeming wrote:
it now appears to have an option to turn the audio warning off for mobile camera sites,
Why would you want to turn off something that you have just paid for, and might just save you £60 and 3 points. Shocked I just don't understand the logic here Confused
jrleeming
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want to turn off any warnings,I find them acceptable as they are [not too loud or annoying] I just posted for all the people that seem to have issues with the warnings
Bob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: