Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nokia announce FREE OVI Maps for all
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nokia announce FREE OVI Maps for all
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Rudd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Nokia Ovi maps Reply with quote

I have had a look at the Nokia site this morning re the above. I have a Nokia 5800 with Garmin TX so was quite interested. The maps are indeed free but then you pay a license etc for each piece of the sat nav map that you want to use. Perhaps that's a good thing or not.

I will stick with the Garmin for the moment as once you have brought the XT you don't have to pay a phone Provider for the privellege of using a sat nav.

Jerry
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent yesterday using Nokia Ovi Maps on my Nokia 5800 instead of my usual TomTom Go. I have a Brodit holder for the phone and an IO Play unit fitted in the car which plays directions from the TomTom or from the phone through the car speakers.

Nokia Ovi Maps Good Points:
I always have the phone with me so if I am called somewhere unexpectedly I will always have sat-nav available.
Built in speed camera warnings are accurate for the fixed cameras that I passed.
Built in traffic (requires internet connection).
The battery lasts much longer than the tomtom.
Free map updates.

Bad Points:
Lots of extra instructions compared to the TomTom - Continue along the route for X miles. In one mile turn. In half a mile turn. Now turn - all of that for just one junction. This becomes irritating.
No way to load PGPS camera warnings (works with some phones but not the Nokia 5800).
Harder to bulk load POIs than with the tomtom.
No facility to correct known map errors.
No quick easy way to record new camera positions whilst driving.
No automatic switch to night mode (can be done manually).
No way to look at your overall route on the map to check that your destination is the one that you actually wanted.

This is just an initial assessment but I would have to think long and hard before spending good money replacing the TomTom when it expires.

Last edited by pcaouolte on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Nokia Ovi maps Reply with quote

The Rudd wrote:
I have had a look at the Nokia site this morning re the above. I have a Nokia 5800 with Garmin TX so was quite interested. The maps are indeed free but then you pay a license etc for each piece of the sat nav map that you want to use. Perhaps that's a good thing or not.

I will stick with the Garmin for the moment as once you have brought the XT you don't have to pay a phone Provider for the privellege of using a sat nav.

If you use the Nokia Map Loader on your PC you can preload entire country maps onto your Nokia 5800 for free with no licence to pay and no data charges from your mobile provider.
Shaky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think this is great news. I have had the pleasure of using Ovi Maps in the UK for awhile now and I'm delighted by the news.

I originally used to rely on TomTom with my old PDA back in the day, and the transition to Ovi Maps was admittedly a little frustrating at times, but the convenience of having a sat nav system built into my phone simply resolved the issue.
TheGoodMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaky wrote:
Personally I think this is great news. I have had the pleasure of using Ovi Maps in the UK for awhile now and I'm delighted by the news.

I agree. Most customers will be happy to have free satnav on their mobile phones. Once Nokia start giving away satnav on pay as you go phones efffectively one can pick one up for £20-£30 pounds. The customer dont care if Nokia make the money from the adverts or not.

Likes of Tomtom need to drop the price to sub £50 range or come up with better devices. I think this is very good for the Satnav market.
I think the SatNav devices will change the hands from Tomtom/Garmin to Nokia, Microsoft, Google, Apple. Very clever move by Nokia to buy Navtech. The tomtom may get taken over by some other company
Customers are winners.
The Rudd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I have got the wrong end of the stick re the pricing plans, this is the link to the Nokia web site concerning the pricing for the maps.

http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/maps-support/pricing-and-coverage/maps20

Jerry
Cursor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madcaravanner wrote:
So everyone is going on about Nokia Maps

Has ANYONE else tried using them outside of European mainland ????
Malta is Rubbish
Cyprus is Rubbish
Egypt is rubbish

I will be happy when they get the coverage sorted down to decent street level not just major major roads

Florida USA worked great and I could use the built in FM transmitter for voice guidance. I preferred the Tomtom for the bigger screen, but the Nokia was a good backup.
golf747
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, for info have managed to update (Nokia5800) phones software version to the latest. Had to update twice, once raised it to V28 or similiar then did it again and now got V31.....

Have installed latest OVI maps and all the countries I need via the pc. All works fine (only tried in the UK so far), with full voice guidance. Will agree with others that it is still never going to be as good as a dedicated unit like TTG. I personally travel oveseas regularly and use my 5800 for everyhting, phone, camera, music etc. And have used the sat nav numerous times in places like Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong etc. More than acceptable. Certainly saves carrying lots of different devices and power leads.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rudd wrote:
Perhaps I have got the wrong end of the stick re the pricing plans, this is the link to the Nokia web site concerning the pricing for the maps.

http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/maps-support/pricing-and-coverage/maps20

That link is for version 2.0 of Nokia Maps where licence charges applied. The latest version is 3.03 and licence charges have been dropped. See here.
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gem wrote:
And the rule about not using your "phone" when driving is avoided because of what exactly??

Nobody could answer this when I raised it a year ago.

Rolling Eyes

The fact that you're phone/satnav is attached to the screen and you are using it hands-free.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entered in error Embarassed
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pourquoipas wrote:
Simon1 wrote:

The fact that you're phone/satnav is attached to the screen and you are using it hands-free.

I doubt that is possible. How does it work then?

Before starting your journey you enter your destination into the satnav software on the phone. The phone then gives you spoken directions to your destination and displays a moving map on the phone screen. There is no need to touch the phone at any point during the journey.
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
pourquoipas wrote:
Simon1 wrote:

I doubt that is possible. How does it work then?

Before starting your journey you enter your destination into the satnav software on the phone. The phone then gives you spoken directions to your destination and displays a moving map on the phone screen. There is no need to touch the phone at any point during the journey.

And if the phone rings you use a bluetooth headset or speaker. Plus, if you need to make a change to your satnav settings, I'm sure that would be looked upon as the same as using a dedicated device. Certainly would make an interesting case in court!
dandpclements
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just installed OVI maps on a 5800. If I'm not connected to the internet I keep getting "route not found" when I try and drive somewhere more than about a mile. Walking routes seem ok as does drive routes if I'm connected to the internet.

Any ideas on why this is?
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dandpclements wrote:
I've just installed OVI maps on a 5800. If I'm not connected to the internet I keep getting "route not found" when I try and drive somewhere more than about a mile. Walking routes seem ok as does drive routes if I'm connected to the internet.

Any ideas on why this is?

Have you used Map Loader on your PC to install the map of your country onto your phone? If not see here.
This will allow you to load one or more country maps onto your phone and drive anywhere within the area covered by that map without an internet connection.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: