Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Routebuddy - Free Ski Maps for iPhone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Routebuddy - Free Ski Maps for iPhone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Routebuddy - Free Ski Maps for iPhone Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comRouteBuddy and OpenPisteMap have announced the availability of free worldwide ski maps for use with Atlas, RouteBuddy's iPhone app.

Once installed in Atlas, OpenPisteMap will give you a piste map with your location plotted on it. Track your skiing, locate ski lifts and runs etc

To cache your local ski map, simply locate your ski resort and use the 'Download and cache' key to store the map over a WiFi connection in the ski lodge or at home before you leave.

Then you can access the map tiles in the resort without incurring expensive roaming data fees.

RouteBuddy Atlas is available free of charge in the iTunes Appstore.

More details over at the RouteBuddy website.

NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks promising, but it's almost impossible to tell which way the lifts and runs run - they need arrows (there are tiny arrows on the lifts, but they're pretty hard to see). The terrain doesn't really help as it's not coloured, so again, you don't know which way the terrain lies.

No three valleys coverage yet which is quite suprising (unless I've missed it?).

Maps are taken from here:
http://openpistemap.org/
List of supported resorts is here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Piste_Maps

Sample map:
RouteBuddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: RouteBuddy and OpenPisteMap Reply with quote

Nick,

It's a community map, which there isn't an equal of, no matter what data is extant in what you see. If your favourite resort isn't covered, or covered that well, then get out there with Atlas and get logging and mapping!

I spent Christmas in Adelboden testing this out and although Ad's was well mapped it was great fun adding to the map things like restaurants, runs through the trees and other data.

The more we all work together, and add or update data to these free maps, then the better it is for all of us. And these maps are 'free', as is RouteBuddy Atlas. :-)

neil
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neil,
Don't worry I've got two trips booked to the three valleys this season. I'll probably log it using my QStarz datalogger. Then, when I go back out there two weeks later I can test my own maps and fill in the blanks Smile I've already contributed to OpenStreetMap so I'm familiar with the process and software and hopefully OpenPisteMap is very similar.

Some of the problems I mentioned though, are not data related - it's just the way the data is rendered. Some kind of arrows which are more visible in the render would be very useful. I'm not sure if you have any influence on that?
Nick
RouteBuddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: OpenPisteMap in RouteBuddy Atlas Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
Hi Neil,
Don't worry I've got two trips booked to the three valleys this season.

I won't say I'm envious! 'Wink'

Quote:
I'll probably log it using my QStarz datalogger. Then, when I go back out there two weeks later I can test my own maps and fill in the blanks Smile I've already contributed to OpenStreetMap so I'm familiar with the process and software and hopefully OpenPisteMap is very similar.

That's great, glad to hear of your support for OSM.

Quote:
Some of the problems I mentioned though, are not data related - it's just the way the data is rendered. Some kind of arrows which are more visible in the render would be very useful. I'm not sure if you have any influence on that?
Nick

Sorry Nick, I missed replying on that item.

You are right in that the data isn't sometimes clear for use, neither is it on the pictorial ski maps either (as a tedious and costly ride back to Courchevel proved to me last year). Something like chevrons for the direction of a piste would be an aide I'm sure, and the top and bottom of lifts could be marked in some way.

Still, I think that for OpenPisteMap, these are the early days of a fantastic aid to a ski holiday and needed features will come about as a matter of course. There's more info on the Wiki here for those who are interested in contributing to this community data: http://tinyurl.com/OPM-Features

neil
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
No three valleys coverage yet which is quite suprising (unless I've missed it?).

If you want three valleys coverage try the Val Thorens app which has a pre cached map of all three valleys and plots your location arround the resorts so no network data expence. Smile

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
RouteBuddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Val Thorens Reply with quote

Is there a link? and a cost?

neil
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Val Thorens Reply with quote

RouteBuddy wrote:
Is there a link? and a cost?

Val Thorens

As it is made or commisioned by Val thorens it is free. Probably for the advertising. But for this reson it is one of the best map images I have seen, let alone the gps facility. I have tried over a dozen free and paid for ski resort apps and am yet to find something I really like. I am hoping this might fit the bill.

I will be testing iTrailmap 3D in march, but this app costs 2.99 and lacks the the ski runs, but is a full 3d gps data logger.

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a quick check I have found Val Thorens and the rest of the Three Valleys on Routebuddy. So now I have another app to test in march! Rolling Eyes

But with a critical look around and I mirror the suggestion about directional markers for peists but it can be worked out using the lay lines. What I do particularily like is that the routes and lifts are named properly but again my only criticisum is that you have to zoom quite close before they appear.

I am in the middle of caching some tiles for a couple of tests but I am liking what I see so far!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: