Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera notification icons
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera notification icons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Camera notification icons Reply with quote

I am using Mobile Maps 9 on my HTC Hero running Android. I have installed the cameras and am getting the warnings. This is generally running well. However I have couple of queries/problems (that may be related) about how the cameras are shown on the screen

The first is that the icon for the camera is very small on the screen - I really want something large enough that just a glance will remind me of the type and speed limit. I am using the PGPSW standard 22 x 22 icons. Are there any larger ones I can download and use please?

The second is that I get the verbal warning at the distance I have set, but often (especially for the longer distances) the camera icon is not shown on the screen straight away. It only appears as I get nearer its position. I wonder whether this has something to do with the icons being too small?
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try the icons here which go upto 44x44, but you do so at your own risk.

If it does work can you report back so it can be added to the compatibility chart?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul

thanks for that. Unfortunately the 44x44 icons do not work on Sygic. The 24x24 ones do work but the increase in size from the 22x22 ones is so small it is not worth changing for.

There must be a way of using larger sized icons. The "favourite" gold star is in various (odd shaped) sizes (none of which are 22x22 or 24x24) and it appears large on the map.

Is there a way to convert a 22x22 or 24x24 bmp into a custom sized one please that I could try?
Copilot for USA
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the icons for sycgic need to be at a certain bitdepth. perhaps checking the bitdepth of the current 22px versions and changing the 44px ones to that may help?

MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current icons from PGPSW are 24 bit colour depth, this needs to be set to 8 bit colour depth to work with Sygic - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt & Mike

thanks for your help and guidance. The 22x22 icons I have are 8 bit colour depth - probably because I downloaded then from the McGuider section? When I check the icons Paul guided me to the 24x24 icons (which work) are 8 bit colour depth wheras the 44x44 ones (which don't) are 24 bit colour depth.

So the answer is, as your rightly say, to change the bit colour depth - but how? I have tried opening the 44x44 ones in MS Office Picture Manager and MS Paint and can't find any obvious way to alter the bit colour depth. I have tried changing the size of the 24x24 ones and saving, but that changed them to 24 bit depth!

I have hit the brick wall of my technical ignorance I am afraid (a wall I know well!). Can you tell me how I can do this please? Or alternatively could you point me to some large icons that are already 8 bit colour depth
Copilot for USA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open with Paint then choose Save As, click the drop down box for "Save as type" and select 256 colours, this is 8 bit - Mike
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't realised that the icons were at different bit depths. That's what happens when you let MS Paint do the formatting for you. Embarassed I'll have a look tonight to see if any old versions are 8 bit.

However, it may be just down to filenames. As the 44px sets were designed for TomToms, they have an extra '_X2' in the filename that the smaller ones don't. Try removing these three characters so that they are the same name as the 24px set and see what happens.

Also, as a quick check, the icons by another forum member, Pocketgps, do appear to be 8bit (the first set) and 4bit (the 'digital lcd' style set). Again, the filenames will need editing.
Brodit ProClip mount
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sygic only support 8 and 32bit icons (with most users using 8bit). AS has been said, if you save in 256 colour then they should be 8bit. Also the filenames need to match so the X2 would need to be removed.
If you use incorrect colour depth icons then you will typically get application crashes (force close on Android), especially when trying to use the manage POI menu.
I have some larger icons which I created earlier in the year on my site (here). They are slightly larger than the ones you were looking at but worked well for me.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big thank you everybody who helped me.

Having done a bit of experimenting I have put Scarymonkey's 48x48 icons on and they work. I have also got other icons to work and resized them. So if I need them different or bigger I now know how to change them.

Again the PGPSW community has come up trumps.
Copilot for USA
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
A big thank you everybody who helped me.

Having done a bit of experimenting I have put Scarymonkey's 48x48 icons on and they work. I have also got other icons to work and resized them. So if I need them different or bigger I now know how to change them.

Again the PGPSW community has come up trumps.

scarymonkey is a sygic boy so he probably made them 8-bit rather selfishly so they would work for him :D

MaFt
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:
I have some larger icons which I created earlier in the year on my site (here). They are slightly larger than the ones you were looking at but worked well for me.

That's fantastic! I don't suppose you could do the same magic to the euro icons!! Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: