Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Broad gps software question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Broad gps software question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmbminaret
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Broad gps software question Reply with quote

Hi all,
I know it's not pocket, but thought someone may have some know.
Maybe a strange request, but here is my situation though be it not critical:

7 night cruise, an e-pc netbook and a possibly purchased usb GPS reciever (no internet). I am searching for some free software simply to display graphically how far away from land we are.
Seems silly, but now I'm on a project.
The netbook has xandros linux on it, but I should be able to use a windows program with wine.
The cruise goes from Brisbane out in the South Pacific around Vanuatu and New Caledonia etc.
I just need a very basic map that will show ble for water and yellow for land but will show your current location in it.

Thanks for any help.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dmbminaret, Not sure if this is what you are looking for but I have recently found an app called Marble. Essentially it is an open source alternative (but more basic at the moment) to Google Earth which includes data from Open Street Map but does not require an Internet connection.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=81066&highlight=

With your GPS given co-ordinates, you should be able to enter your position and you shall be transported around the graphical globe to your correct location.

ScreenShots --- http://edu.kde.org/marble/screenshots.php

I think Xandros is Debian based? I am trying Marble out on my LinuxMint and Knoppix machines and the app is available from the Repositories in the Synaptic Package Manager.

Alternatively, using the link
http://edu.kde.org/marble/download.php
you can download an .exe version for Windows. or a Mac version or the source code if you are feeling brave, or a stand alone LiveCd .iso version. So, no excuse for not giving it a whirl!!

Please give this a try and let us know what you think about it.

Regards,

Edit --- ScreenShots page link added.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@dmbminaret did you find a solution to your offline map/globe question?. After playing around with Marble I can confirm that it will do what you want without needing an internet connection. I have noticed on one of it´s "tabs" that it has a facility to download your present location from an attached (USB?) SatNav, track your progress and measure your distance from any point you choose.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: