Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I think I'll be hard to please!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I think I'll be hard to please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: I think I'll be hard to please! Reply with quote

I'm looking to buy myself some GPS kit, but I suspect I'm after too much here.

I already own a Garmin StreetPilot III Deluxe used in my car and on my motorcycle but I'm new to PDA GPS.

I am thinking of adding GPS to my iPAQ H5500 because I want some or all of the following:

Handheld unit I can use on foot etc
Use in car and on bike
Power in car and on bike with minimum cables
Hear it properly in the car
Don't overly trust Bluetooth
Speed Camera Warnings
Full UK postcode
European coverage

So at the moment I am thinking of TT3 - but I don't fancy buying the full European map set.

I have no idea on which GPS receiver - to use handheld and in car/bike but I have bad vibes on Bluetooth such as will it stop my GPRS internet connection which could be downloading traffic updates in the future.

I may need to use the extended battery in my iPAQ so will this stop me using jacket receivers?

I need to add a decent amount of memory and my iPAQ only had SD slot

I need an amplified solution in the car.

Please, any guidance would be appreciated.

[/list]
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, I would not go for any expansion pack or sleeve based solution now. All the rumour about the new iPAQs, which include the replacement for the 5550, indicate that HP are dropping the expansion pack / sleeve idea and that there'll be no new models that are compatible with them. You can't fit an expansion pack if you have an extended battery on your 5550, as you say.

I believe (but cannot confirm, because I don't have a Bluetooth GPS) that there's no problem having a Bluetooth GPS active along with a Bluetooth connection to a mobile phone for GPRS (and hence TomTom Traffic). The two things use different Bluetooth profiles. When there's an in-car Bluetooth issue, it's usually with a mobile phone, many of which can't have a connection to Bluetooth hands free equipment and a Bluetooth connection to a Pocket PC for GPRS at the same time.

If you want to use a CompactFlash GPS, you could buy a cheap CompactFlash expansion pack, and use that with a CompactFlash GPS - the idea being that the GPS is usable on a future Pocket PC, even if the CompactFlash expansion pack is no use if you upgrade or replace your Pocket PC in the future.

So, with a few provisos, both Bluetooth GPS and CompactFlash GPS would meet your requirements. For walking and the like, Bluetooth GPS has to be recommended over CompactFlash - a Bluetooth GPS setup is much easier to ruggedise and waterproof.

Does that help any?

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: