Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Post-update woes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Post-update woes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sproing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Post-update woes Reply with quote

I have the Western Europe maps in internal memory, and the US/Guam ones on a 4Gb SDHC card.

I applied the most recent update for my 920 from TomTom HOME the other day and clicked the Eject button at bottom right afterwards. HOME said it was safe to disconnect the unit, so I did — and the OS then said "oh no it wasn't!" (Well, it is panto season, I suppose…) I suspect something has been messed up on the card — if I run the 920 without the card inserted, everything is fine.

If I insert the card, the 920 shows the "updating" screen, resets all my preferences (grr…) and refuses to acknowledge the presence of any map other than Guam. I don't have any plans to go there, either Sad

Unfortunately the most recent backup isn't all that recent (this is what happens when you run TomTom HOME while you're in a hurry and don't stop to think "maybe I should run a backup BEFORE hitting the Update button") but I'm guessing that there's a file on the card which is forcing the update every time, and deleting/renaming it might stop the insanity.

Does anyone know if that's the right fix? install.bif looks like a prime suspect here, but I don't want to go stomping around and make things worse…

Thanks
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may help those with more knowledge than me if you could detail what the update was for e.g. were new maps involved or was it just a routine update?

Your description of how you disconnected the device was not clear. The very best way is to use the Device menu within TT Home then select to disconnect, then wait for your attached device to ask if you want to attach to the computer that way you know everything has been closed and updated correctly or at least you stand a much better chance that it has been.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try inserting the sdhc card into the 920 and then doing a pin reset on the unit. Does that help?
Sproing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No new maps, but HOME did say there was a new version of the TomTom application.

When disconnecting, I clicked the Eject button in the bottom right of TomTom HOME (Mac OS version) and removed the device once HOME had opened a dialog saying it was safe to do so. I can't remember if the 920 had brought up the connection screen or not; I usually wait for it, but that doesn't necessarily mean I did this time…

If a pin reset is just pressing the Reset button with a pin, I've already done that with no joy (I have to do that when it refuses to pair with the stupid Bluetooth remote — bring back the RF remote!)

Either way, which file should I save to back up my preferences? I don't want to put the card in again without having a backup copy of those — it takes ages to set them all up again…

Thanks
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The file I think you are referring to is the mapsettings.cfg file found in the specific map folder.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a play with the SDHC card in a card reader and shut down home first so that you can treat the card as a drive. That way you could compare the card with a previous backup to see how much you care about the differences.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: