Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Recognising SD map cards
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Recognising SD map cards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Recognising SD map cards Reply with quote

Since upgrading to V1.4, my Satmap doesn't see the SD card unless I remove it and re-insert it. So, when I turn the unit on, I only get the base map. Memory status says "No SD card was found". Anyone else had this, or am I missing something?
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't sound right, I'd give SatMap a call.
steve_deacon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same problem since updating,it doesn't recognise my full GB sd card unless i take it out and re-insert it but i have no problem with my lake district national park sd card.
Sundorne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: recognising SD map cards Reply with quote

Emailed Satmap because after version 1.4 software upgrade the SD card was not recognised unless it was reinserted. They confirm it is a software problem which they are working on. Pleased by their prompt and positive response and sure the problem will be solved soon.
MikeofDorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Non-recognition SD Map Card Reply with quote

I too have this problem with one of my SD map cards (others are fine) but not sure if this is related to the v1.4 software upgrade which I have installed. I insert and re-insert the card but it still isn't recognised. I had this problem once before after my Satmap unit was returned from servicing (button problems - see my previous posts). It was a different SD card on that occasion which I inadvertently left in the unit, and on return it failed to work. Satmap fixed it by reformatting the card - so I'm wondering if it's the software, or do I have a card that needs reformatting? Does anyone know if it is possible to do a DIY fix from a map card backup?
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Non-recognition SD Map Card Reply with quote

MikeofDorset wrote:
I too have this problem with one of my SD map cards (others are fine) but not sure if this is related to the v1.4 software upgrade which I have installed. I insert and re-insert the card but it still isn't recognised. I had this problem once before after my Satmap unit was returned from servicing (button problems - see my previous posts). It was a different SD card on that occasion which I inadvertently left in the unit, and on return it failed to work. Satmap fixed it by reformatting the card - so I'm wondering if it's the software, or do I have a card that needs reformatting? Does anyone know if it is possible to do a DIY fix from a map card backup?

If you have ALL* of the files from the map card backed-up somewhere safe, you could try reformatting the SD card using a PC and card reader then copy the files back on to it. N.B. This will only work with the original SD card as each map is locked to the physical card's ID number. Try this at your own risk!!

* Map cards contain the map file itself ("xxxxx.map"), plus a card ID file called "CID.xml", plus the licence file called "Licence.map". All of these files are essential for the mapcard to be recognised by the Active 10.
There may also be other files there if you have saved routes, waypoints, tracks or screen-grabs to the card from the Active 10.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Non-recognition SD Map Card Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:
If you have ALL* of the files from the map card backed-up somewhere safe, you could try reformatting the SD card using a PC and card reader then copy the files back on to it. N.B. This will only work with the original SD card as each map is locked to the physical card's ID number. Try this at your own risk!!

That is indeed the process I was informed by Satmap is advisable i.e. they said it was a good idea to back up the official content of your mapcard in case the SD card got corrupted. You could then reformat it and re-install the map data back onto it (but not onto any other SD card, as lucevans correctly says.)
MikeofDorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to 'lucevans' and 'PloddinPedro' for your replies. I have all three files backed up on my computer, so in theory I could (after reformatting) copy the files back onto the original SD card. I take your point 'PloddinPedro' that this would be entirely at my own risk!

I have emailed Satmap about this, so await their reply before deciding. After reformatting, would it be a simple process of 'dragging and dropping' the files onto the SD card? 'I've checked that the files are still present on the SD map card, and just like the last occasion this occurred, they are all still there, but corrupted in some way presumably. How might this have occurred? I'm always careful to switch the unit off when inserting or removing cards, it's a bit of a worry if cards can be disabled so easily by a non-software related fault, if this is indeed the case with my particular map card.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeofDorset wrote:
....I have emailed Satmap about this, so await their reply before deciding. .....
To be honest, I wouldn't hold your breath on the e-mail. Satmap have in the past been notorious for taking ages to reply to e-mails - most posters here will say it's far better just to get on the 'phone. It's not a huge corporation and there are real people at the other end of the line, so if you can ring them during the day, you'll likely get an answer faster.
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To be honest, I wouldn't hold your breath on the e-mail. Satmap have in the past been notorious for taking ages to reply to e-mails -

Well, I contacted Satmap via their enquiry page at 20:35 on 23rd Dec and received a reply timed at 09:25 on the 24th. Can't complain at that.

They confirmed that a bug had crept into V1.4 where a card was not recognised if it was already in the unit when it was powered on, and a patch would be released at the start of the year.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidor wrote:
Quote:
To be honest, I wouldn't hold your breath on the e-mail. Satmap have in the past been notorious for taking ages to reply to e-mails -
Well, I contacted Satmap via their enquiry page at 20:35 on 23rd Dec and received a reply timed at 09:25 on the 24th. Can't complain at that.
Certainly can't and I'll be pleased to be proved wrong. I was only relaying previous experience. If they've raised their game in this regard, that's great.

Of course, as with most Support departments, it's probably easier to respond promptly if the answer is instantly available. It's the out-of-the-ordinary problems that tend to get bogged down. If you 'phone, you at least get to know straightaway if your problem's in the "er, best send it in to us" category.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they just have an over-zealous spam filter which stops them from getting some incoming mail.

You would, though, think that registered users' email should be in the allowed list.
MikeofDorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the advice and phoned Satmap this morning and it appears my map non recognition problem is not related to the v1.4 software bug. Also it would appear I cannot just reformat the SD card myself and replace all the files with my backed up copies (which puzzles me somewhat as I thought this was the whole point of having back-ups). I apparently have to return the affected card for Satmap to fix (under warranty).
MikeofDorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my last post on this topic I have been in touch by phone with Satmap who requested I return my map card to them (it was not being recognised, 3 other maps were OK). They could find nothing wrong with it, but despite this, they agreed to replace it with a new one. Unfortunately the new replacement map card is still not being recognised in the normal way after powering up, although it was occasionally. Removing and reinserting the card sometimes got it to work. My software is v1.400 with the 08.11.3 platform, and this may be the problem. The latest thinking is that a platform upgrade may be the solution - and a free upgrade via an SD card (normally £9.99) is on its way, so watch this space!
MikeofDorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Since my last post I have received and installed the latest software platform upgrade (09.02.21) in yet another attempt to cure my one map card problem, to no effect, my GB (South) OS map is still in the main stubbornly refusing to be recognised. Occasionally it does work, but 90% of the time it doesn't. It can't be the map card, as that has already been replaced, unless I have two duff map cards.

Today, I have downloaded and installed the latest 1.42 software release as previously advised by tech support and the card is still not being recognised, and all I get is the base map. So I'm no nearer solving this problem, and it is looking more likely that I will have to send my unit in for testing, despite the fact it works perfectly with the other three map cards that I own. Currently waiting for a phone call back from Satmap.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: