Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Zagg Invisible Shield
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Zagg Invisible Shield
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Zagg Invisible Shield Reply with quote

I have replaced the Zagg Invisible Shield ( purchased from Zagg-half the price of Satmap ) on my A10 ( don't ask ).

The original went on very easily and was smooth with no air bubbles at all.I think they must have altered the composition or something as the replacement is a disaster,air bubbles all over it which don't appear to be coming out.

I put it on as carefully as I could.

Think I will e-mail Zagg tomorrow,they have a 30-day money back guarantee.

Ian
axys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one from Satmap, put it on exactly as instructions but still loads of air bubbles. Left it a few days and the smaller ones slowly went, leaving 2 or 3 bigger ones - complained to Satmap, who said if I sent the unit in they would sort it out. Given the price of Special Delivery I didn't do this. After about 3 weeks the bubbles had gone. The film must be very slightly vapour permeable I guess.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going for a refund on the Zagg as the bubbles are still there after three days.Must be a reformulation,very different from the original.

Ordered one of these:-

http://www.protectionfilms24.com/article/vikuiti-dqc-160-screen-protector-satmap-active-10-25261.html

They are only £8 or so with free P & P and they do a matt one as well which might cut down on glare,so ordered both.

One advantage over the Zagg is that they are removable,washable and can be reapplied.

Will repost again when they arrive with a review.

Ian

PS

If anyone wants a promo code for the Zagg site,drop me a pm,$5 reduction.It says it is transferable but I don't know if can be used more than once,it doesn't say.Expires 31.07.10.

First come first served.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received the protective film from protectionfilms24.com and fitted it.

MUCH easier to apply than the ZAGG and no air bubbles either,fitted in seconds and is removable.There is a YouTube video on the site if help is needed ( commentary is in German though ) but it is easy enough to follow.

The cut is excellent,it fits the inner screen perfectly.

I have applied the matt version hoping it will cut down on screen glare a bit,can't really tell if it works at present.

Can be recommended IMHO,cheaper than ZAGG as well.

Ian
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm following this with interest Ian. The matt finish sounds interesting. would be interested to know how it performs in the field wrt visibility and scratch resistance. All in good time of course Very Happy

Cheers Ian
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satmapian,

The Vikuiti appears to be a different beast to the ZAGG.It is thicker and more rigid than the flexible ZAGG.I can't see the surface having any problem with scratches,it is diffcult to scratch I would imagine as the surface is very smooth.

Have not tested the glare reduction of the matt surface and if it doesn't stop raining I never will.Visibility under ordinary daylight is fine.

Overall I am very happy with it.

If there are any problems with it in the future I will report back.

Ian
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian, at least its stopped raining now Very Happy

I put my Zagg on the outer screen which has been well protected - but it is highly reflective, which is why I thought your matt finish might be better. I'm thinking of doing away with the outer screen and using just the inner (2nd layer down). I'll probably get one of these replaceable matt ones if I do, but first I need a new inner screen, which has been scratched by "invisible" grit.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satmapian,

I use the Vikuiti on the inner screen,as I did with the ZAGG,and don't use the outer screen at all.

I use an Ortlieb document case for protection into which I have cut a hole for the joystick as without the hole it was difficult to operate.Yes this may let water in but it keeps most of the unit out of direct fire and the Active10 is supposed to be waterproof!!

Used the Satmap the other day to do a geocache in bright winter sunlight and I would say that whilst glare was still evident it was slightly less pronouced with the matt screen cover.

Will have a look at the rubber case when it appears but it will have to be very very good to pay £40 for.I hope it can be used with the cycle mount back and without the outer screen.

Ian
lostme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:
Satmapian,

I use the Vikuiti on the inner screen,as I did with the ZAGG,and don't use the outer screen at all.

I use an Ortlieb document case for protection into which I have cut a hole for the joystick as without the hole it was difficult to operate.Yes this may let water in but it keeps most of the unit out of direct fire and the Active10 is supposed to be waterproof!!

Used the Satmap the other day to do a geocache in bright winter sunlight and I would say that whilst glare was still evident it was slightly less pronouced with the matt screen cover.

Will have a look at the rubber case when it appears but it will have to be very very good to pay £40 for.I hope it can be used with the cycle mount back and without the outer screen.

Ian

As a new Satmap user, it still has its delivery protected film on I was wondering how the Vikuiti has performed. As I don't have any scratches yet I would like some protection before I get any. Suggested products/ solutions would be appreciated. I get the impression that a film cover over the inner screen would be best and discard the outer to improve visability and reduce glare. I used the unit for the first time today so I am on a step learning curve having previously used the etrex (non h version). The satmap full user guide could be better as I am not very technical. Is there anything better out there Question
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostme wrote:
As a new Satmap user, it still has its delivery protected film on I was wondering how the Vikuiti has performed. As I don't have any scratches yet I would like some protection before I get any. Suggested products/ solutions would be appreciated. I get the impression that a film cover over the inner screen would be best and discard the outer to improve visability and reduce glare. I used the unit for the first time today so I am on a step learning curve having previously used the etrex (non h version). The satmap full user guide could be better as I am not very technical. Is there anything better out there Question

The Vikuiti has performed fine,no problems at all.

Ian
WalkerDan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my Satmap for just over a month now and have been very pleased with the performance. As a belt and braces approach I just left the protective delivery film on but it is now starting to peel off. Any thoughts to what is the nearest replacement for this and easy to apply. There appear to be many film products available but I'm happy to add something to the outer screen but don't need anything to thick.
WalkerDan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still looking for some advice on screen protectors if anyone has any experience of the following. Vikuiti protectors (160 or ARMR 200) on the outer screen. Also CLiREX films (6 for £4.99) and Protection films (6 for £2.49). I note protection films also sell the Vikuiti ones. I assume the cheap ones are filmsy films that don't last but happy to be proved wrong but would be interested in anyone's experience.
Ta.
nedlarken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received & fitted the Vikuiti ARMR200 matt screen proctector to the inner screen of my satmap, very easy to fit no bubbles and the matt finish does inprove visability in bright light. would recommend this product.
lostme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone experience of how long the Vikuiti protectors last and which is better ARMR200 or DQC 160. They are cheaper than Zagg but do not have any guarantee. Protection films currently have an offer of 3 for 2 and I was wondering if it was worth buying more than one so I will have replacments when I need them.

Also what are the different effects of fitting the film to the inner or outer screen or both screens.

Any information would be appeciated please.

Sorry for all the questions. Hope you can help me
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am also considering the Vikuiti protectors and am disappointed that no one has added their observations. I used a number of Zaggs (on GPS and PDAs) when they were $10-12 at $2/£. Now that they're $15 at $1.4/£ (+shipping) they do look rather expensive. But for those that haven't bought one (from Zagg) they are shipped from the UK (so there are no delays or import issues) and each comes with a $5 discount code for a future purchase. And my reason for posting now is that it seems they can be bought at half-price next Monday (30 May).

The protectors certainly seem tough and I quite like the "wet" application to slide it into place. However, like other users, I did get several bubbles when applying the last one, but these did eventually disappear after a few weeks. Previously, I had applied them to a slightly scratched handheld GPS screen and a PDA touchscreen "dulled" by much stylus use and the Zagg "hid" these defects well. They actually have a slightly "clingy" feel that must be quite good when protecting the body of handheld devices, but IMHO the "drag" spoils the feel of a stylus (I know this isn't relevant to the Satmap).

I'm not a Satmap user myself, but to answer one of lostme's questions, since reflections occur at every individual air-plastic/glass interface, I recommend (at least for readability reasons) discarding the external Satmap screen and applying the protector directly to the LCD.

So I'd also like to hear other's views on the ruggedness and "anti-reflection" capabilites of the Vikuitis.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: