Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Temporary route shortcuts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Temporary route shortcuts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwyver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Temporary route shortcuts Reply with quote

Please advise how to achieve the following:-

Whilst walking a route it is sometimes useful to take a shortcut which bypasses some of the planned Waypoints (e.g. with a WP sequence of ...12,13,14,15,16,... at WP13 I decide to go directly to WP16).
When I'm at WP13 how do I instruct the SatMap that the next point to navigate to is WP16?

BTW I don't wish to permanently delete the bypassed WPs (e.g. 14,15).

The background to this is that I have some experience of using an eTrex, but am seriously considering purchasing an Active10.

TIA.
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something I've not thought to try and unfortunately at the moment my unit is on holiday at the Satmap health farm having attention lavished upon it (a general service).
If there isn't a built in function there is no reason why you couldn't put a 'Go-To' on the next point you require, then when you get there remove it and allow the unit to track from that point.
Another way would be to load the same route under two names using one route to edit points and switching between them.
Gwyver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonesbach wrote:
Another way would be to load the same route under two names using one route to edit points and switching between them.

Thanks for this. Hope your SatMap gets better quickly.

If you do as suggested above - surely each time you switch between routes the Trip Log data will get reset (according to v1.4 manual page 31). This would be a problem.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jus a thought which you may have already discounted (I haven't done it myself) - what would happen if you used go to, specifying the point you want to go to (page 33)? Does that ruin your set-up route?
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwyver wrote:
....If you do as suggested above - surely each time you switch between routes the Trip Log data will get reset (according to v1.4 manual page 31). This would be a problem.

Unsure on that as according to page 26 you should be able to set 'Keep log on new route'.
If you can come back in a few days I will hopefully have the unit and I will put it to the test.
Gwyver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonesbach wrote:
Gwyver wrote:
....If you do as suggested above - surely each time you switch between routes the Trip Log data will get reset (according to v1.4 manual page 31). This would be a problem.

Unsure on that as according to page 26 you should be able to set 'Keep log on new route'.
If you can come back in a few days I will hopefully have the unit and I will put it to the test.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that.
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonesbach wrote:
Gwyver wrote:

Gwyver,
Apologies for delay but the service took longer than expected. I have now tested the above and provided the "Keep log on new route" is selected you can change routes without loosing your logged track. It's a bit convoluted and probably using go-to is still the better option. Still it's nice to know that changing routes will not necessarily clear your log.
Gwyver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jonesbach"]
jonesbach wrote:

Gwyver,
Apologies for delay but the service took longer than expected. I have now tested the above and provided the "Keep log on new route" is selected you can change routes without loosing your logged track. It's a bit convoluted and probably using go-to is still the better option. Still it's nice to know that changing routes will not necessarily clear your log.

Thanks for this. I've placed an order for a SatMap - it should arrive early next week. There is a SatMap event in Manchester on 15/12 - so I'll pay it a visit and ask their recommendations for the optimum way to manage 'bypasses'
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwyver
quoted
There is a SatMap event in Manchester on 15/12 - so I'll pay it a visit and ask their recommendations for the optimum way to manage 'bypasses'

As a matter of interest whereabouts is this event being held; i looked a few days back on Satmap web site to see the list of venues BUT for whatever reason couldnt see any details.
I have the urge to go and have a deckoo and possibly see about sending unit back for a check up and overhaul and upgrade after Xmas.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Temporary route shortcuts Reply with quote

Gwyver wrote:
..... it is sometimes useful to take a shortcut which bypasses some of the planned Waypoints .......... how do I instruct the SatMap that the next point to navigate to is WP16?
I've come to this thread rather late but out of curiosity, why would you want to do this? That is to say, if I am walking a route displayed on the Satmap and wish to deviate from it onto a shortcut or alternative route, I simply do so using the A10 in the same way as I would a paper map - it tells me on screen whether I'm going the way I want or not; I don't need to set it to "point to the next waypoint"; I can simply see where I'm going.

I mention this from the point of view of someone who doesn't have a background in traditional map reading and compass skills - I don't know how to navigate using "bearings" and headings" and compass points - one reason why I like the Satmap so much!

It's just that it occurs to me that Gwyver might be thinking he'd use the "new" technology in the same manner as the old. As someone who's not done it the old way, it would never occur to me to look at the waypoints on a route (unless perhaps I'm "geocaching" and I'm looking for something located at a particular, named, point, but I've never done that either and don't really understand it.)

In fact, it does irritate me that if I set the option to display labels (POIs etc.) I also get the waypoint number labels showing - to me, these are utterly meaningless and just obscure useful detail on the map, often a real nuisance!

Or is it the case that through ignorance, I am missing some useful alternative way of using the Satmap?
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonoftheabove wrote:
...There is a SatMap event in Manchester on 15/12 - so I'll pay it a visit and ask their recommendations for the optimum way to manage 'bypasses'

As a matter of interest whereabouts is this event being held;......

I believe the page you are looking for is
http://www.satmap.com/experts.php
In the list you will find -
15th Dec Cotswolds Deansgate 118-124 Deansgate, Manchester, M3 5QA
Gwyver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonoftheabove wrote:
Gwyver
quoted
There is a SatMap event in Manchester on 15/12 - so I'll pay it a visit and ask their recommendations for the optimum way to manage 'bypasses'

As a matter of interest whereabouts is this event being held; i looked a few days back on Satmap web site to see the list of venues BUT for whatever reason couldnt see any details.
I have the urge to go and have a deckoo and possibly see about sending unit back for a check up and overhaul and upgrade after Xmas.

Getting to the Events list on the SatMap website does seem a bit hit & miss but here is the relevant page http://www.satmap.com/experts.php

The Manchester event is at Blacks on Deansgate. Perhaps it's worth phoning them first to confirm that it will occur before making a visit.
Gwyver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Temporary route shortcuts Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
Gwyver wrote:
..... it is sometimes useful to take a shortcut which bypasses some of the planned Waypoints .......... how do I instruct the SatMap that the next point to navigate to is WP16?
I've come to this thread rather late but out of curiosity, why would you want to do this?

Because by setting a specific WP to next navigate to, the displayed route line on the SatMap screen will change to show where you now want to head to. This can be very useful if your revised aiming point is far away and lies beyond the boundaries of what is usefully displayed on screen.
In cold or wet conditions it is much easier to scroll down a list of WPs and select the one you now wish to "GoTo" than it is to use the joystick to move across the Position Display in order to locate & set a new "GoTo" point.
PloddinPedro wrote:
That is to say, if I am walking a route displayed on the Satmap and wish to deviate from it onto a shortcut or alternative route, I simply do so using the A10 in the same way as I would a paper map - it tells me on screen whether I'm going the way I want or not; I don't need to set it to "point to the next waypoint"; I can simply see where I'm going.

For example; If you are walking over featureless moorland in bad weather, using your technique it will be unnecessarily tedious to keep checking whether and by how much your new path is deviating from your revised aming point.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Temporary route shortcuts Reply with quote

Gwyver wrote:
PloddinPedro wrote:
Gwyver wrote:
I've come to this thread rather late but out of curiosity, why would you want to do this?

Because by setting a specific WP to next navigate to, the displayed route line on the SatMap screen will change to show where you now want to head to. This can be very useful if your revised aiming point is far away and lies beyond the boundaries of what is usefully displayed on screen.
In cold or wet conditions it is much easier to scroll down a list of WPs and select the one you now wish to "GoTo" than it is to use the joystick to move across the Position Display in order to locate & set a new "GoTo" point.
PloddinPedro wrote:
That is to say, if I am walking a route displayed on the Satmap and wish to deviate from it onto a shortcut or alternative route, I simply do so using the A10 in the same way as I would a paper map - it tells me on screen whether I'm going the way I want or not; I don't need to set it to "point to the next waypoint"; I can simply see where I'm going.

For example; If you are walking over featureless moorland in bad weather, using your technique it will be unnecessarily tedious to keep checking whether and by how much your new path is deviating from your revised aming point.
OK - I haven't tried it your way but in the same circumstances I would just "Create new route" from where I am to where I want to go i.e. the selected waypoint, zooming in and out to get the overview if necessary. No need to faff about scrolling up and down waypoint lists and determining which I need. Also, I can dog leg the new route to avoid things, etc. I get the same on-screen result, as far as I can see. When I've done that bit just delete the route if you're fussy about keeping things tidy. Maybe it's as broad as it's long but I can't see the waypoint attraction. Confused
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just getting this straight in my own head: when you activate a route, the Active10 gives you the bearings to the nearest waypoint in the route, and will only select the next waypoint once you've visited the previous?

I'm presuming that if you completely ignored a waypoint and in fact completely circumnavigated it, the Active10 would switch its attention to the next one once it was nearer than the previous one?

Don't some other hiking GPSs give an option of activating/deactivating waypoints? Do we feel a feature request for the wishlist coming on? Smile

I agree that it looks like using the goto feature would be the easiest workaround to this if you needed a compass heading...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: