Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon vs CoPilot
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon vs CoPilot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AshleyHinton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Navigon vs CoPilot Reply with quote

This week I've been on a business trip in the UK visiting several different locations around the North. Relying on iPhone navigation, initially Navigon, to find my way.

Navigon started well in life - the early version was basic, fast (once launched), did what it was supposed to do and has a clean uncluttered display. Then we moved onto v1.3, which certainly on my iPhone 3G not only ran slower BUT it also started to miss things.

For example approaching a motorway exit, the voice would stutter when switching to "reality view" (where it shows a pic of the exit with signs etc) and then stutter when switching back, far too late, to normal map view and say "in 400 yards..." when you were already at the roundabout. In fact the app ran so slow I had to keep restarting it mid-journey or it would miss next turns totally.

Getting sick & tired of it, I downloaded CoPilot and installed that. CoPilot does not do text-to-speech but as of an update I'm downloading now its there as a one-off fee (about £3 I understand). The nice thing not having TTS is that its not giving you the complete works of Shakespere at every turn:

On the M4001 at exit number 9 for town1, town2, town3, the cattle market, ye olde ale house, please leave the exit and.. oh i've talked too much so i've not given you the next instruction. This was my big problem with Navigon. I hope that the TTS premium service on CoPilot does not make the mistake Navigon did.

CoPilot has a more colourful map, which I think despite the nice basic screen in Navigon I slightly prefer the colourful CoPilot one - I'm a sucker for having choices and options.. I'm still playing with the night/day choices.

I also find the signs and other stuff on the screen easier to read, except the compass which is next to useless.

The menus, in my view, are safer to use in CoPilot - easier to read, more responsive etc, if you really have to while driving.

Visiting the last few sites exclusively with CoPilot I *never* missed a turn due to the lateness of the App. What I did notice is that some turn instructions were telling me to do things I wasn't allowed. As I didn't have the Navigon comparing, I can't say whether their map was any different.

CoPilot launches quicker, and is ready to use whether you have a GPS signal or not, I hope this is something fixed in Navigon 1.4

Navigon - still no UK traffic.
CoPilot - not sure when, soon?

Speed cameras - CoPilot has more, and I believe they are promising a future facility to upload your own POI's without having to jailbreak the iPhone. I have jailbroken mine just for the speed cams but am having other problems so may restore back to non-jailbroken for now.

I think uploading own POI's is a must for all iPhone navigation apps, considering the way Apple tie-down access to the application data.

So at the moment, having used both, the CoPilot comes out just ahead for me. However both have an update as of today, which I won't get to try until driving next week, so we'll see what happens..

Cheers all,

Ashley
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also found navigon 1.3 very sluggish but the 1.4 released today seems smoother.

MaFt
AshleyHinton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good thing for us is that its still a young market and things are in flux, with software makers playing catch-up with each other and hopefully taking on user feedback about whats working & what isn't.

I'm currently restoring my phone to un-jailbreak it, as I found the jailbreaking made the whole phone a bit more sluggish.

With it restored & Navigon + CoPilot installed I'll test both on known routes this coming week.

Regards,

Ashley
AndrewH13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ashley, thanks for that, do keep us informed soon on upgrades. From PGPS roadtrip video, the Navigon lowers music while driving but CoPilot still has both on together?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: