Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nissan Connect + Camera Database in Edinburgh
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nissan Connect + Camera Database in Edinburgh
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Nissan Connect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neilr65
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Nissan Connect + Camera Database in Edinburgh Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if they have found any cameras showing up in the Edinburgh area. I have a Nissan Note with Nissan Connect and downloaded the GPS database. I then upgraded the built in Satnav in my car which appeared to go ok. I then drove to my nearest camera site and nothing registered. I have had a look at the map of Edinburgh on this website and can see no record of any cameras. As I'm new to GPS world, can someone advise me if I'm doing something wrong or is there no records of any cameras in my area?
I'm wondering if I have just wasted £20.00.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just loaded up our map and looked at Edinburgh and immediately see 4 x 30mph GATSOs 5 x Redlight cameras, and 2 x active mobile sites.

Whilst I appreciate you might have an issue, we'd hardly be the best data supplier if we ignored a major city completely would we Confused

neilr65
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Edinburgh Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

Thanks for very prompt reply. I personally know of at least 20 Gatso and
about 10 RLC in this area. I have added two earlier this evening an in the fullness of time will add the remainder.

I beleive that Mobile sites are available from Lothian and Borders Safety Camera website.

Neil
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissan Connect + Camera Database in Edinburgh Reply with quote

neilr65 wrote:
Can anyone tell me if they have found any cameras showing up in the Edinburgh area. I have a Nissan Note with Nissan Connect and downloaded the GPS database. I then upgraded the built in Satnav in my car which appeared to go ok. I then drove to my nearest camera site and nothing registered. I have had a look at the map of Edinburgh on this website and can see no record of any cameras. As I'm new to GPS world, can someone advise me if I'm doing something wrong or is there no records of any cameras in my area?
I'm wondering if I have just wasted £20.00.
The cameras only show on the PGPSW map once you have zoomed in beyond a certain point. If you have any doubt, zoom in at 55.94947465970028,-3.1096458435058594. If you switch to satellite view, you can see the camera on Harry Lauder Rd. Move the map focus to your local location and zoom in. If the camera is there great, but if not, go to the submission page and record it. If it gets verified, you'll get a lifetime subscription, not bad for your second day!!
I don't have any experience of the Nissan Connect, but I presume you've followed the instructions? Is there any way to view local POIs on the Connect? Can you check without driving round your local cameras?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I count around 23 fixed GATSO cameras inside the city limits. And around 20 Red Light/Red Speed cameras!

I doubt they are missing as many cameras as that without anybody else having reported this issue.

I drive in and around Edinburgh on a bi-monthly basis and haven't found the inaccuracies you describe!

Steven

iPhone 12
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Edinburgh Reply with quote

neilr65 wrote:
Hi Darren,

Thanks for very prompt reply. I personally know of at least 20 Gatso and
about 10 RLC in this area. I have added two earlier this evening an in the fullness of time will add the remainder.

I beleive that Mobile sites are available from Lothian and Borders Safety Camera website.

Neil
We've got 17 Redlights, 22 fixed cameras & 8 mobiles within 4 miles of the corner of Northbridge/Southbridge & High Street. There is one unconfirmed redlight 1.7 miles away. If you're not seeing these on the PGPSW map, then you are looking in the wrong place! Laughing

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
neilr65
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Edinburgh Reply with quote

Thanks for all replies,probably because I'm a newbie I'm missing something. As I drive around tomorrow I'll be more into the city centre, so hopefully they should register on my satnav. I have downloaded the latest database and not received any errors.

By the responses I'm getting it looks like I may have cocked up somewhere.

Cheers

Neil
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Edinburgh Reply with quote

neilr65 wrote:
Thanks for all replies,probably because I'm a newbie I'm missing something. As I drive around tomorrow I'll be more into the city centre, so hopefully they should register on my satnav. I have downloaded the latest database and not received any errors.

By the responses I'm getting it looks like I may have cocked up somewhere.

Cheers

Neil
Have a look at this thread. We don't have a lot of experience of the Connect, but hopefully there will be something useful there. I can't find a copy of the manual on-line. Is there anyway to make a "dummy" run on a pre-planned route?

neilr65
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Nissan Note Connect Reply with quote

Thanks Jock, only got near one camera today, the one at Newbridge, but I didn't get any activity on the satnav. I'm still learning how to use it properly, but it does seem to point out every petrol station in the areawhich I believe is also covered by POI, so I don't think I need to do anything else in the setup. I've also increase the warning distance to quarter of a mile.

I will download the database again tonight.

I also had a look at the thread, I think I'm doing things correctly and have created the .csv file.

Can you tell me if I add a camera to the database, does it go on immediately or is it verified first?

Thanks for help

Neil
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissan Note Connect Reply with quote

neilr65 wrote:
Can you tell me if I add a camera to the database, does it go on immediately or is it verified first?

All cameras are subject to verification. However, mobiles are added to the pMobile (unverified) file to allow for alerts. When/If verified they then move into the main database.

However, regardless the database is updated every Wednesday so any data submitted now will not be released until next Wed at the earliest.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Nissan Note Connect Reply with quote

neilr65 wrote:
Thanks Jock, only got near one camera today, the one at Newbridge, but I didn't get any activity on the satnav. I'm still learning how to use it properly, but it does seem to point out every petrol station in the areawhich I believe is also covered by POI, so I don't think I need to do anything else in the setup. I've also increase the warning distance to quarter of a mile.
Unless these are Petrol Station POIs that YOU have added, it is entirely possible that the system treats the in-built POIs and Custom POIs differently. (There are actually three cameras at Newbridge, 2 in the underpass and one on the off ramp to the A8/Airport, when coming from the bridge. If you passed any of these without warning, then there is definitely a setup problem on your system as these have been on the database for years!! I think that we need a Connect expert to advise e.g. should you be expecting a warning when approaching a camera underspeed. Maybe Darren or one of the Mods could move the thread?

neilr65 wrote:
Neil, see the information that Darren has already given you, but I feel that it is unlikely that you have discovered a raft of fixed cameras that are missing from the database. Can I suggest that, before you start making submissions, that you send the address of a camera (e.g. 200yds from the corner of North St & West St, or even a Lat Long coord) that you can't see on the database to myself or falkirk81, by PM. We'll most likely be the ones who will have to verify any duplicate entries that you make, so we'll be saving you the trouble of having to submit the cameras and us having to check them.
As I said before, if you are lucky enough to know the location of a camera which isn't in the database, and are first to submit it, once we've verified it you should qualify for a lifetime subscription!

neilr65
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Connect Reply with quote

Appreciate the inputs. I don't know what I'm doing wrong as I get the message it is downloading. Will double check everything and will submit any cameras as PMs.

Can you confirm that I should be able to see all cameras which have been added and verified on the map?. This is to save me wasting your time by submitting something which has already been done.

Cheers

Neil
neilr65
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Connect Reply with quote

As an addition to my last message. I've had a another look at the map. I've noticed a lot of 30mph signs at the locations of camera. Are these the indicators of a camera site?. Specifically on Corstorphine Road, west bound outside the Carphone Wareshop at the Zoo. I was expecting the standard camera warning sign.

Neil
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A '30' roundel sign on the map would indicate a fixed camera win a 30mph limit. If you click the camera icon you will see a line of text at the top left of the map that shows more detail including the type i.e. GATSO:70423@30, Heading:188, Reversible

Mobile cameras have a Mobile Camera icon with speed and redlight has a traffic light icon.
neilr65
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Connect Reply with quote

Thanks Darren,

Looks like I got my wires crossed regarding camera indicators. I also have re read the installation instructions and I think I may have got it wrong. I created the folders myPOIs\myPOIwarning, but I copied a sub folder pgpsw-speed-cams-uw3k, which contained the .csv and .bmp files into myPOIwarning folder. I believe it was only necessary to copy the .csv and .bmp files into the myPOIwarning folder and not the pgpsw etc sub folder. Can you confirm pse.

Cheers

Neil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Nissan Connect All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: