Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navmii issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navmii issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldormon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Navmii issues Reply with quote

Hello all

I got all excited about navmii having the pocketgps speed cam db, so dropped my 20 quid into the app store and bought it (I'm trying to avoid jail breaking my phone as to load the db into copilot)

Anyhow I'm not that impressed so far.

For advanced planning when you have a gps signal you have to turn the gps off so as to place a pin at your start point.

No road block or avoid road option

No lane assist

If you've a 2 digit road name that starts with a 2 it forgets to say it, eg the M25 becomes the M5 and the A24 the A4

Couldn't route me from Epsom to Reading train station (gave up trying to add a POI at my destination)

Is it just me?

Cheers
Lee

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Navmii issues Reply with quote

ldormon wrote:
(I'm trying to avoid jail breaking my phone as to load the db into copilot)

I didn't want to JB my iFone but to be honest since I have done this I have had far more fun with it, adding files/ removing folders to release storage space its like a breath of fresh air, my only regret is that I waited so long to see what RedSnow could do - Mike
klownshed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite most of what you say about Navmii being true, I MUCH prefer it to Copilot.

It doesn't have CoPilot's features (yet at least) but it so much nicer to use. The map is so much nicer, especially in 2D mode which is next door to useless on a CoPilot. Street names are displayed nicely and it locks onto GPS quite quickly and works well.

The routes aren't perfect, but a damn site better than CoPilot but some roads around me are wrong, but they're also wrong on the built in Maps app and I believe that Google use the same Map source.

I had a work trip this morning and tried Navmii on the way there and CoPilot on the way back. Well, for a while at least. Within the first 5 mins on the M27 CoPilot recalculate the route every minute. So I switched it off and went back to Navmii.

I do miss CoPilot lane assist feature but I can live without planning the route in advance.

There are a few bugs, mainly with speech; apparently I came home on the 'EM-SEVEN'. I could have sworn I was on the M27 ;-)

I hate using CoPilot so much though that I'm forgiving Navmii it's shortcomings.

I'd like to see the following features in the future though:

1. Detour/alternate route
2. Post Code + house number navigation
3. Automatic day/night mode switching
4. Lane assist (I do like CoPilot's motorway sign post displays)
5. Better POI searching and bigger POI icons
6. Live traffic and petrol prices would be nice.
7. Being able to paste post codes and general iPhone text manipulation (you can't call up the select/paste/etc. buttons or the magnifying glass to move the cursor in text edit boxes).

BUT

I'm much happier with Navmii as it is than Copilot which has most of those features already.
teecee90
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that while navmii routes are not perfect, they are much better than CoPilto. It irks me to say it, but TomTom still produces the best routes.

Edit: Hmmm - I'm begining to think Navmii is no better than CoPilot :

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=80166&start=45

Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: