Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom release FREE iPhone navigation update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom release FREE iPhone navigation update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prl1862
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR wrote:
prl1862 wrote:
Looking at the Advanced options, there is a setting called GPS Enhancer which says "TomTom GPS Enhancer compensates for any delays or inaccuracies in your location". I have the TT dock so get good GPS anyway but I did try swicthing it on and it did seem to make a small difference. as far as I could tell, the car position was just about perfect.

Strange that. Delays almosts suggests compensation for traffic, unless it means using the IQ Routes.

I took delays to mean any lag in the position of the car.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nashmills wrote:
Just tried the new version coming to work this morning. All seems OK except iPod control is now worse than before. It pauses the music to give an instruction but no longer resumes the music after.

All seemed OK when I was using mine, but after about 20 minutes the music paused for an announcement and then restarted stuttering continuously. Quitting TomTom didn't help, and I had to restart the iPhone. Not good!
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone found out how you delete the recent destinations, cant see any option to do this.
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttrevor wrote:
Has anyone found out how you delete the recent destinations, cant see any option to do this.

Change preferences/ Restore factory defaults will get rid of them although you will also have to restore your home location etc - Mike
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks Mike, thats abit of a work up having to put all your favorites back in again.
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your iPhone is JB then you can add a custom POI file to the device and use that in lue of Favourites negating the need to re-enter all the favourites, this is yet another reason why we need the option to import custom POI data to the app on the iPhone without having to resort to JailBreaking the phone - Mike
FastLaneJB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttrevor wrote:

I understand, none of us would want our wife to know where the mistress lives Razz

I've got Navigon and brought the TomTom mount today. I'm coming from a TomTom 910 which has really old maps but it's served me well. I do a lot of driving and the routes TomTom has given me in the past make more sense to me than the ones Navigon seems to give me. So I'm not sure if I should spring for the TomTom app now it's much improved but the thought of Traffic on Navigon for a lifetime cost of 14.99 is holding me back a bit (Plus the TomTom app isn't cheap).
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the quest to only have to carry one device I have the TomTom App and the TomTom Car Kit. This latest version is good and is my favorite iPhone navigation App. One thing stops me ditching my Go 740 - Speed Camera warnings. The TomTom app does a pretty good job with the camera's in it's database - the problem is the database is rubbish. It's not even as up to date as my old GO 530 from a year ago!
My reply from TomTom support was "Live services" are not yet available on the iPhone.
As we all know, the Pocket GPS database is far and away the best - any news on an App for that?
nashmills
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHC wrote:
My reply from TomTom support was "Live services" are not yet available on the iPhone.
Can we infer from that that Live Services are on the agenda for the iPhone app?
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the email - the exact quote is:

"Unfortunately services such as premium voices, Traffic, Safety Camera subscriptions and Points of Interest are currently not available for the TomTom App for iPhone"

So I guess it depends on the interpreation of "currently". I suspect now that Apple allow "in app" purchases it will happen. Weather Pro already uses in app purchase to unlock premium content. I don't think TomTom will miss another source of revenue.

I'd still prefer a Pocket GPS solution though.
ben_e71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the only thing that should stop me ebaying my 740 for this then is the speed cameras I guess which doing 18K miles a yr a real lifesavers...
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently using a 740 too. I have a years subscription to Live services but won't renew. When I've needed traffic it's let me down. The camera database is poor compared to this sites. But at least I can put the Pocket GPS database on the 740. I'm trying POI Warner for the iPhone at the moment which seems quite good.
FastLaneJB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What TomTom really need to do is come up with a TomTom Home application for the desktop that works with the iPhone. It obviously doesn't need to do nearly as much as the normal TomTom Home does but it could let you add POI files for instance.

How I see this working is you'd load the TomTom application on the iPhone and then go to a connect screen. Assuming it's on the same network using WiFi the computer will then see the iPhone TomTom and can add POI's to the device.

That would work fine, other things like Map updates, buying voices and other stuff can all be done directly on the iPhone so it wouldn't need this.

Or an even easier way for TomTom to implement would be to register a URL handler on the iPhone (They already have tomtom://) so you then go to a website like this one who could have a URL formatted like tomtompoi://www.pocketgpsworld.com/iPhone/SpeedCam.ov2

Clicking on this in Mobile Safari on the iPhone would then fire up the TomTom app, passes on the URL and it downloads the POI into TomTom, simple and probably wouldn't take them much code at all.

I actually like this second idea the best as you'd be able to add POI's without needing a desktop and I'm sure the URL format would catch on as all you'd need is an extra link for iPhone users to click on. Even if a site didn't have the link in the format needed, you'd only need to copy the URL, paste it into Mobile Safari and then change the http:// to tomtompoi:// and it would work.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: