Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom release FREE iPhone navigation update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom release FREE iPhone navigation update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sooteee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashmills is quite right about routing, if TT pull this out of the bag then it will be the better of the 3 main players.

I've got all three on mine and trust TT more than Navigon to 'get me there'.

Co-pilot is only really useful if you own a Mystery Tour coach company and fancy going the 'scenic route'!

S
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't profess to have used Navigon and CoPilot to the extreme (I'm not a salesman) but I find their routes are always fine, although I've used Navigon the most.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sooteee wrote:
Co-pilot is only really useful if you own a Mystery Tour coach company and fancy going the 'scenic route'!

very true :D however, you CAN create a custom routing profile which will give better routes!

MaFt
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the version number for this new release?

Thanks
sooteee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update just 'gone live' via App Store on phone! Woohoo!

Downloading now, will get back with updates when installed and played with.

S
nashmills
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 1.2 is now available for download from the app store. All 316MB of it for the British Isles version.

Doh! Beaten to it.
sneeks
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.6GB for the WE version, downloading now.
mrplant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: new tomtom 1.2 app Reply with quote

Hi.
I tested (in fact bought the tomtom app tonight and just by luck the update came out tonight!) the new iphone tomtom 1.2 app and have to say it is a huge improvement.

I had been putting off buying the app due to the bad reviews - and also for lack of lane guidance and text to speech on street names. Both these have been added!

Very happy with it!

Voice recognition next and 7 character postcodes please!!

4 1/2 stars out of 5 I give it..
5 stars next, if they add 7 character postcodes!!
nashmills
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: new tomtom 1.2 app Reply with quote

mrplant wrote:
Hi.
I tested (in fact bought the tomtom app tonight and just by luck the update came out tonight!) the new iphone tomtom 1.2 app and have to say it is a huge improvement.

I had been putting off buying the app due to the bad reviews - and also for lack of lane guidance and text to speech on street names. Both these have been added!

Very happy with it!

7 character postcodes have been included with TomTom since version 1.0?
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it means that TomTom have just about caught up. Now they need to add Live Services, although Navigon must be days away from turning on their UK traffic server.
nashmills
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried the new version coming to work this morning. All seems OK except iPod control is now worse than before. It pauses the music to give an instruction but no longer resumes the music after.
prl1862
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the update for the first time this morning on my usual drive into work.

First up, I have the Western Europe version and the only British voice I could find with TTS is Serena (Computer). I guess having computer in brackets is a dead giveaway. TTS worked well. It made a good stab at pronouncing a couple of road names and place names too although it did struggle with Mereside. I found it very useful to hear the road numbers together with the place to head towards. At one point on a long straight road I got a message to say to continue for 4.5 miles then take the A556 towards Northwich which I thought was a helpful use of TTS, getting me ready for what was coming up.

I didn't get to try ALG since I didn't go on a motorway.

Looking at the Advanced options, there is a setting called GPS Enhancer which says "TomTom GPS Enhancer compensates for any delays or inaccuracies in your location". I have the TT dock so get good GPS anyway but I did try swicthing it on and it did seem to make a small difference. as far as I could tell, the car position was just about perfect.

On the routing side of things, there definitely seems to have been an update. For the first time, a sat nav took me along the back road I would normally go on to work, rather than down the main road which runs parallel with it. A definite thumbs up on the routing front from me for this single test.

The iPod controls are very basic. To access them, touch the status window. The screen changes to show lips on the right, a music symbol on the left and a volume slider or message about the dock in the middle. When you press the music symbol you get skip back, pause/play and skip forward controls. That's it. On the one hand that is a little disappointing but on the other, should you really be selecting tracks, playlists etc when driving? I had no problem with the podcast I was playing resuming after an instruction.

I am definitely impressed with this update and think TomTom have really got there act together. If I were to change one thing now the app, it would be to make it easier to get back to the map from deep in the settings. You have to press back 4 times to get back to the map. There should be a cancel or save button at each level.

Last edited by prl1862 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrMips
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nashmills wrote:
mrplant wrote:
Hi.

Very happy with it!

7 character postcodes have been included with TomTom since version 1.0?

If you navigate to an address and start typing a post code you only get to enter the first 4 digits. If you click on navigate to Postcode, like you say, you do get full 7 digit postcode entry.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it behaving itself on foot yet? Every time I've tried to use it on foot it's been all over the place, no idea of location or direction and glacially slow to update.

It's been good as gold in-car, which has made this baffling as well as frustrating.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prl1862 wrote:
Looking at the Advanced options, there is a setting called GPS Enhancer which says "TomTom GPS Enhancer compensates for any delays or inaccuracies in your location". I have the TT dock so get good GPS anyway but I did try swicthing it on and it did seem to make a small difference. as far as I could tell, the car position was just about perfect.

Strange that. Delays almosts suggests compensation for traffic, unless it means using the IQ Routes.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: