Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - An Open Letter to Car Thieves
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

An Open Letter to Car Thieves
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: An Open Letter to Car Thieves Reply with quote

Dear Scum

Thanks for smashing my back quarterlight then rifling through my glovebox. I hope you enjoyed viewing my small selection of inexpensive power leads cos you took knack all - so why bother?! Do you think I'm stupid enough to leave a SatNav in there?!

There was, however, the keys to remove the stereo - or can't you sell that in the pub as easily? Or the key for the alloy wheels? No?

I now have a window to sort out today before Green Day tonight... Anyone know any Rover breakers?!!

MaFt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MaFt,
very sorry to hear of your misfortune, has happened to me in the past, and no doubt yet to come.

On a different note, I'm glad I read your post before I submitted mine.
I see you drive a Rover, and I was about to make comment on Rover 75 drivers.
In light of this I am going to hang fire.

Wish you luck,

Cheers Bob
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A similar thing happened to me two weeks ago. The scum broke the rear winding-down window and pulled forward the rear seat (it's a hatchback).

They nicked the wifes handbag with £15 and her cards in it but they missed the satnav that I had pushed down the side of a box of bits and pieces in the boot. They probably watched her put her bag in the boot before we went for a walk.

Fortunately the scum missed the fact that the handbag contained the spare keys for the car!

The good news is that one of the scum have been arrested (a female) and another will be arrested once located.

The bad news is that the arrested scum has remained silent and may get off due to 'lack of evidence'. If it actually comes to a prosecution I expect that they will get community service or a similar pathetic let off.

Our loss: £60 for window, £23 for key, £15 cash, £15 vouchers £20 purse £30 handbag, 6 hours inconvenience get things sorted out and fixed. Scum's gain £15.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fire away, you're safe to do so - it's a rover 25!! Laughing Out Loud
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
fire away, you're safe to do so - it's a rover 25!! Laughing Out Loud

Right here goes,
Been up and down the M4 a fair bit since Friday and this morning.
Mostly between Swansea and Slough, it may have been me, but I got the distinct impression that the Rover 75 owners club were having regional meetings in Lane 2 of the motorway. Usually whilst driving at a speed fractionally quicker than the HGV they were supposedly overtaking.

I'm now going to get my coat and leave - quickly. Very Happy
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the feeling, my sons head unit got ripped out by some smack head during a hospital visit. The scary thing is these dead heads are walking the streets with screwdrivers in their pockets and probably wouldn't think twice about sticking it in someone if challenged.

I don’t want to make light of it but it may raise a little smile to read a slightly different broken glass story.

My “bit of a kip” on the sofa got interrupted by a distressed call from my wife stating she had locked the only set of keys to her car in the boot.

On reaching the Tesco car park I asked if there was any possibility the keys were in her bag. I am not stupid was the reply (remember this bit).

By careful measurement I deduced that the cheapest option was to pop the rear quarter light so I would be able to reach the door catch. Great plan, except now with lights and horn ablaze and security on the scene, the door would not unlock now the alarm is activated.

So the wheel brace goes through the next cheapest window in the back door, I climb through remove the parcel shelf and pass out a full weeks shopping, only to find... key deficiency.

Three security guys are on scene by this point. I made the fatal error of reaching to check out my wife’s bag. This can only be compared to trying to take food from a hungry alligator. Both actions could result in loss of limb.

Two of the security guys then helped me check the car park by torch light and make enquiries at the store check out.

No luck, so I was making my way back to the car wondering who to phone the get us out of this mess when other security guard walked past me and said with a grim “err I’ll leave you with it mate”.

With the horn and lights now silenced I walked up to a sheepish wife head bowed, stood in a pool of broken glass in a dark empty car park.

So where were the keys? Couldn’t simply be in the handbag, by admission only a stupid person would mislay them there.

They had inadvertently fell into half a packet of biscuits she had in her handbag. I her handbag? Who keeps... nah, forget it.

Hope you get sorted soon. Col.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Col. Lovely, but expensive, story mate. Were there any red faces around?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and to top off an already rubbish day, my iphone got knicked while i was in sheffield last night and it's currently in liverpool...
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
... and to top off an already rubbish day, my iphone got knicked while i was in sheffield last night and it's currently in liverpool...
I'm sorry you've had such a crap week (and it's only Tuesday!) but I can see this as the basis of a new game "I've got the furthest travelled stolen iPhone...". I take it that it updates its current location to a central server?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you subscribe to mobile me you get a service called 'find my iphone' which will locate it for you while it is turned on. i did this, along with locking the phone, before contacting o2 to get the IMEI and SIM blocked as after that you can't trace it!

seeing as it is now an insurance claim it needed blocking in order to claim for it!
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
I know the feeling, my sons head unit got ripped out by some smack head during a hospital visit. The scary thing is these dead heads are walking the streets with screwdrivers in their pockets and probably wouldn't think twice about sticking it in someone if challenged.

I don’t want to make light of it but it may raise a little smile to read a slightly different broken glass story.

My “bit of a kip” on the sofa got interrupted by a distressed call from my wife stating she had locked the only set of keys to her car in the boot.

On reaching the Tesco car park I asked if there was any possibility the keys were in her bag. I am not stupid was the reply (remember this bit).

By careful measurement I deduced that the cheapest option was to pop the rear quarter light so I would be able to reach the door catch. Great plan, except now with lights and horn ablaze and security on the scene, the door would not unlock now the alarm is activated.

So the wheel brace goes through the next cheapest window in the back door, I climb through remove the parcel shelf and pass out a full weeks shopping, only to find... key deficiency.

Three security guys are on scene by this point. I made the fatal error of reaching to check out my wife’s bag. This can only be compared to trying to take food from a hungry alligator. Both actions could result in loss of limb.

Two of the security guys then helped me check the car park by torch light and make enquiries at the store check out.

No luck, so I was making my way back to the car wondering who to phone the get us out of this mess when other security guard walked past me and said with a grim “err I’ll leave you with it mate”.

With the horn and lights now silenced I walked up to a sheepish wife head bowed, stood in a pool of broken glass in a dark empty car park.

So where were the keys? Couldn’t simply be in the handbag, by admission only a stupid person would mislay them there.

They had inadvertently fell into half a packet of biscuits she had in her handbag. I her handbag? Who keeps... nah, forget it.

Hope you get sorted soon. Col.

I think you will find that you could have called the AA for free,under a blanket cover they have for customers,my wife told me this [she works for Tesco]

TomTom 520
Christmas Draw 2010 Grand Final Winner Garmin Nuvi 1490TV
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQUARE2024 wrote:
I think you will find that you could have called the AA for free,under a blanket cover they have for customers,my wife told me this [she works for Tesco]

yes, pretty certain that AA covers the PERSON (and spouse) rather than the VEHICLE so that may have been the case...!
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip I will take note of this.

Is it a recent thing? after all the security didn't mention this last January.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
SQUARE2024 wrote:

yes, pretty certain that AA covers the PERSON (and spouse) rather than the VEHICLE so that may have been the case...!

The choice is yours when you join the AA. If you take our Personal cover, YOU are covered, no matter in whose car you are travelling. With the Vehicle option, your car is covered, no matter who is driving it.

I was lucky in that I had 12 month's cover with a new car and I got both versions at a highly discounted rate when the original cover expired. I now have Family and Vehicle cover which gives me and the other two members of my family complete Roadside, At Home, Relay & Relay Plus no matter who is in any car. It covers you as a passenger in someone else's car as well. A darn good deal for £98 I reckon.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my front passenger window was done, they nicked my case of CDs - artificial leather, free with £20 of Esso fuel one day I think. I always wondered how much they'd get for albums of Black Dyke Mills brass band, Chopin and Shostakovich.

I shall probably be considering AA myself soon. I have cover at the moment with them for the first two years of my new Renault van, which has sufficed for the last 8 years/4 vans. But with the recession, I'm not sure of getting a new van when this one ends its first two years so I'll need some cover when it expires. I know the RAC want extra to cover any van now - my Kangoo is exactly the same size and shape as the Kangoo car for which they don't want extra. Same ripoff as the Severn Bridge toll - £5.40 for Kangoo car, £10.80 for Kangoo van (£5.40 for a steaming great Landrover which towers over my head). Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: