Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SOLVED: Windows 7 + TomTom 720 + Home 2.7.2.1825= Bluescreen
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SOLVED: Windows 7 + TomTom 720 + Home 2.7.2.1825= Bluescreen
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KlaThiPau
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: SOLVED: Windows 7 + TomTom 720 + Home 2.7.2.1825= Bluescreen Reply with quote

I've been monitoring this forum for a few weeks now hoping to read from someone else about this issue:

Windows 7, installed as x64 and x32 version (legal) and the current TomTom 2.7.2.1825 version will crash crash the computer with a bluescreen and reboot when you connect the tomtom 720 device (most current software and European map). Untill now I accepted the TomTom doesn't yet support unreleased software but Windows 7 has been available for 4 days now and I would expect some kind of notice on their support page.

Can anyone here confirm the problem? There is still a chance that I installed other incompatible software that noone else uses but it's unlikely.

Also 1: Windows mobile phone with TomTom 7 will not crash the computer.
Also 2: None of these problems occurred in Vista and XP on the same mashines.

Please post here if you have the same problem or can/cannot reproduce it.

Solution:
Acronis Home Image 2010 build 5055 was uninstalled and current version installed since USB drive issues were reported. Important: upgrading without prior uninstall and reboot failed. Now TT Home works on all my Computer (ie x64 and x86). Please report your results.

KlaThiPau

Last edited by KlaThiPau on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth, see this thread
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To save anyone else having to download it to find out....

The link on that forum is to the normal Home download page, and the version offered is still 2.7.7.1825 which has been around for weeks/months, so it isn't a new version for Windows 7.

Is there some "compatibility mode" you can run it in?
KlaThiPau
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Compatibility Mode Reply with quote

I tested the software in XP and Vista SP2 compatibility mode with no luck. I believe the problem is the USB driver for the TomTom device which when loaded immediately crashes the computer
nashogg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: TomTom 950 Bluescreen Windows 7 Reply with quote

I can confirm that my newly arrived TomTom 950 bluescreens Windows 7 64 bit Enterprise as soon as I connect it to the usb port.

I have logged a call with TomTom and will post their reply...

So here is the begining of their 'couldn't be bothered to pay attention to your problem' reply...

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care
The reference number for your query is 091110-060090.

If your TomTom is not being recognised by your computer, please check the following:

Can you first make sure that your TomTom is connected directly to the computers USB port

It goes on for a page or so like this suggesting I reconfigure my firewall, and so forth.

I posted a reply to this excellent advice, which I have reproduced here. More when they get back to me (if they do...)

Dear Luis,

Sorry? Did you actually bother to read what I wrote? - I can only assume that you did so, and then decided to palm me off with some generic cut and paste junk you had to hand anyway. If you are not bothered about helping me resolve my problem, then please drop me a note saying so, and I will stop wasting my time and yours.

In case you are actually paying some attention this time around:

When I connect my 950 to Windows 7 64bit RTM Enterprise, Windows 7 bluescreens when it tries to install the usb driver.

So to make it as explicit as I can. I take the usb cable from the TomTom 950 and insert it into a usb port on my Intel computer running 64 bit Windows 7. When the operating system starts to install the USB driver in response to seeing the 950, it bluescreens. That is to say, it crashes out of the operating system and the PC reboots. Each time I do it, it does the same thing. Other people have posted similar problems on the forums.

Please confirm to me that your 950 product should and can connect to an Intel PC running the RTM (release to manufacture) version of Windows 7 64 bit, and if so how I might be able to connect my 950 to my Windows 7 machine. Alternatively confirm that it is a known problem that you are working on.

Thank you in advance for your attention to my issue.

Last edited by nashogg on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 7 64-bit here. I started Home first, then connected my GO920 and it worked fine - I updated it (allowed it to upload a couple of map corrections) and all went well.

I went for Device, Disconnect and it did, but before it finished, it popped up a window something about not loading correctly and runtime or sumfink. But the device disconnected and I don't care any more - I use Home as infrequently as possible and got away with it again!!

I connected my XL Live and that worked fine. Connected my GO700 and that too worked fine. No problem with Device disconnect for these two.

The only thing of note was that with each connection (each in a different USB socket as I leave the cables connected all the time) the PC reinstalled the device driver for the USB. I was going to say that I notice that it now allocates different drive letters to the cables, but that has led me to discover that my multi card reader isn't working - the four drives aren't there any more!! Ah well, I've got to open it up anyway to do this PCI Modem, so I'll give it a disconnect and reconnect or summat whilst I'm in there!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to add I updated from vista to win 7 and it worked fine for me ,no problems yet
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nashogg - Whilst i understand you frustration and desire to get a direct answer you'd be surprised how many problems are resolved using "generic copy and paste" responses.

Can you answer the first question at least? Is the USB Dock connected to a USB on the rear of the PC (i.e. a USB port directly mounted on the Motherboard) or is it going via a front mounted USB port (i.e. on connected via a cable to a header on the motherboard)?

Are you using any sort of USB hub?

No problems here with 32 Bit Win7.
ICM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem with a new laptop running Windows 7. Attached GO 730, it loaded drivers. Then Blue Screen of Death. Reboot.
Windows will list the 730 as a device in Device Manager, but not see it as a drive under computer. Thus TomTom Home will not recognise it.
Rang TomTom. The phones were quite quiet at the time, and Adam W tried to be helpful, and even rang me back after consulting a colleague. But then he gave up. It is a Windows problem not theirs. Basically, tough.
I have tried deleting the 730 in Device Manager, rebooting, and allowing Windows to reinstall drivers, but no success.

Ian
nashogg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005,

As it said in my note I take the usb cable from the TomTom 950 and insert it into a usb port on my Intel computer i.e. a direct connection to the PC.

Your take on tech support is interesting - so to draw an analogy:

You go to the doctor and describe your symptoms clearly - the doctor says ‘just take the variety of pills there on the table. If the symptoms don't go away come back and I will investigate your problem more thoroughly...’

The doctor isn't really interested in curing you, he just wants to get rid of you. Here is how it works:

You go away and take the selection of pills, and one of three things happen:

1. You get sick and die - you don't come back to bother the doctor - score 1 to the Doc. This is the equivalent of TomTom support telling me to muck about with the registry, reinstall Windows etc. Likelihood is the average punter is going to create so much pain for themselves that a problem with their TomTom is going to be the last thing on their mind.

2. You get better thru a miracle of good fortune - You got lucky as did the Doctor/TomTom support - since you don't bother them again.

3. You don't get better or die - so you go back to the doctor and with a sigh, and a feeling that you are really just wasting his time, he pays you a little more attention.

We are on track 3 - I have received a reply from TomTom saying it has been escalated to 2nd line support. The only thing that gives me hope is that this will be a universal problem on 64 bit (my 720 also bluescreens Windows 7 64 bit, although my One doesn't, and none of them bluescreen XP). When enough people raise it someone at TomTom will have just one more look at the code....

By the way, I used my 950 for a round trip, London to Sheffield today, and I had to reboot it twice, once because I lost the audio on a handsfree call - feels a little like work in progress to me.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are "you" people who were using Win 7 BEFORE public release? I ask, because I bought mine (upgrade) on the first day it went public, 28th October. Maybe those pre-public releases were a bit flakey or "different"? - mine has not given any trouble with this problem - 700, 920 and XL Live.

nashogg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your Windows 32 bit or 64 bit?

I believe the problem is with 64 bit. I have a fully certified RTM version of Windows 7 64 bit, Enterprise Edition

Start, right click Computer, select Properties

System Type: will say 32 or 64 bit operating system
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Windows 7 Evaluation Copy, build 7100 - the pre-release version - with my 920 & 930 and experience no problem with software nor USB connection with Home latest.
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have added 32 bit OS
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno what RTM means. Is Enterprise Edition like Home Premium only different? Dunno where you get "build" from. This is what I've got..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: