Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigation software for Ipod touch?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigation software for Ipod touch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwdunn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Navigation software for Ipod touch? Reply with quote

Since the OS upgrade (3.1) now enables the bluetooth on an Ipod touch, I have 2 questions

1) Has anyone been able to pair an bluetooth GPS receiver with a touch? I've only had luck pairing it with headphones

2) If the answer above is yes, will any GPS navigation software work on the Ipod Touch?

Just as a side note, has anyone got the TomTom car mount (with GPS) to work with a touch?
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigation software for Ipod touch? Reply with quote

kwdunn wrote:
1) Has anyone been able to pair an bluetooth GPS receiver with a touch? I've only had luck pairing it with headphones
2) If the answer above is yes, will any GPS navigation software work on the Ipod Touch?

The answer to 1&2 is no as the bluetooth on all iDevices have had the necessary protocols removed. They probably could be implemented as I'm sure the chip would work just fine, but apple believe (probably rightfully) that the hackers would easily use this as a way to gain access to the iFirmware. Not a case of can't but more won't.

I did't believe you could even install the TT software on the iPod touch! Like the other Nav apps iTunes won't allow it! Happy to be proved wrong on this!

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
kwdunn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought as much but it never hurts to ask!
Thanks
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't the iPod Touch work with any GPS app if the user buys the new Tomtom cradle with GPS built in?
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Won't the iPod Touch work with any GPS app if the user buys the new Tomtom cradle with GPS built in?

You would have thought it possible but last time I accidentally loaded Navigon to my ipod, itunes reported (does not work with this device) message, and without the app the cradle is useless. I haven't got the TomTom app so like I said above, everything printed thus far suggests the cradle is currently for the iPhone only. If someone with the TT app can try and load it onto the ipod then we'll know for sure.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: