Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x50 Range
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x50 Range
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ratman633
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: x50 Range Reply with quote

I see the TomTom site is now showing the new x50 range (no option to buy yet)

http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=0&Language=1

950 £299.99
750 £249.99
550 £229.99

But with only 1 months free live services.

These seem very reasonably priced.

TomTom 540
v9.510
Map v905.4754
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: x50 Range Reply with quote

ratman633 wrote:
950 £299.99
750 £249.99
550 £229.99

Especially when you compare the price of the existing x40 series on the Tomtom website!

940 - £391.48 (£91.49 difference)
740 - £322.97 (£72.98 difference)
540 - £249.99 (£20.00 difference)

£91.49 between the 940 and 950! Surprised

Also, remember, the x50 does not come with the FM transmission, Jukebox or ipod connectivity! These facts come from the technical specifications on the Tomtom website.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmm if they really do go for that price I think I might upgrade to the 750 and give my wife the 720
darrenintheeast
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any idea when these devices are due to hit the shops..

Argos would be ideal...Got about £140 quids worth of nectar points to spend

darren
Capvermell
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to be cheaper still at www.satnaveasy.co.uk/c.do?category=26

TomTom 550 £208.20 delivered
TomTom 750 £238.50 delivered
TomTom 950 £271.45 delivered

And that's before deducting another 1% cashback if I pay for them using my Egg Money Mastercard

I can only assume that TomTom must have completely abandoned their customer aggravating cashback promotions thought up for them by www.ndlgroup.com in order to be able to afford to offer these new much lower prices.

The EPS auto gyro system for continuing to track direction when the satellite signal is lost for any length of time (eg in tunnels or in downtown Manhattan) is still only available on the 950 model so to my mind its still worth the extra money for all but the most staunchly avowed Brits who never ever drive outside UK shores. The costs of buying a European and USA map afterwards for a 550 unit are much much higher and in the order of a total another 140 pounds or so. And then you still don't have the EPS function in areas with a poor satellite signal.

By the way the loss of features on the new TomTom Start series compared to their One and XL model predecessors is much more notable and I presume designed to encourage any more technically customer to consider the now more affordable Go range instead.
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the auto gyro is supposed to be on just the top models, but I have recently bought a GO740 Live and on Thursday happened to be travelling south on the A1M where it passes through a fairly long tunnel. I have travelled this route before using a 720T which would just stop working effectively when it lost signal in the tunnel, only refreshing when it emerged at the other end. Now using the GO740 Live, even though the signal was lost, it kept tracking my progress throught the tunnel, even showing lane guidance before emerging at the other end. Strange!
Capvermell
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psyskiesman wrote:
I know the auto gyro is supposed to be on just the top models, but I have recently bought a GO740 Live and on Thursday happened to be travelling south on the A1M where it passes through a fairly long tunnel. I have travelled this route before using a 720T which would just stop working effectively when it lost signal in the tunnel, only refreshing when it emerged at the other end. Now using the GO740 Live, even though the signal was lost, it kept tracking my progress throught the tunnel, even showing lane guidance before emerging at the other end. Strange!

I reckon you need to drive through one of those nasty snakey several mile long tunnels in the Alps like the Tunnel de Frejus to be sure though. As the A1M tunnel is a lot shorter it may just be that the unit continues to assume your last reported speed and direction for the next 2 or 3 minutes and only reports loss of satellite signal when that takes you violently off the actual known path of the road. In other words better programming logic may now be in use on the 740 without any auto gyros being in place.

The Limehouse Link tunnel or Blackwall Tunnels would be a reasonable test because they are both so windy and also fairly long.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't many tunnels in the UK that contain junctions unlike you will find on mainland Europe or USA, it is these where EPT can be of significant benefit, in the UK its not really of much use IMHO - Mike
Capvermell
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
There aren't many tunnels in the UK that contain junctions unlike you will find on mainland Europe or USA, it is these where EPT can be of significant benefit, in the UK its not really of much use IMHO - Mike

Paris has some particularly fine examples of these dividing underground road tunnels.

So are we saying that a TomTom 540 and 740 assume you continue along the road you were on at the last known speed until they get a satellite signal again as a proxy for being able to actually know where they really are using EPT?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-EPT devices dead reckon based on last known speed, to be honest if you do keep to the same speed then its usually quite accurate, if you stop in the tunnel though it can be quite funny looking at the device happily carrying on as if you were moving - Mike
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: x50 Range Reply with quote

ratman633 wrote:
I see the TomTom site is now showing the new x50 range (no option to buy yet)

http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=0&Language=1

950 £299.99
750 £249.99
550 £229.99

But with only 1 months free live services.

FWIW, the US Live Service trial period is listed as 3 months.
Capvermell
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: x50 Range Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
FWIW, the US Live Service trial period is listed as 3 months.

Its listed as one month for all 3 models at www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=0&Language=1
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US site shows this for the 340 Live:

Quote:
Extending your LIVE Services subscription
After the three-month free trial period, you can extend your TomTom LIVE services subscription directly through TomTom HOME.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capvermell wrote:
The Limehouse Link tunnel or Blackwall Tunnels would be a reasonable test because they are both so windy and also fairly long.
mikealder wrote:
There aren't many tunnels in the UK that contain junctions unlike you will find on mainland Europe or USA, it is these where EPT can be of significant benefit, in the UK its not really of much use IMHO

Mike's right. I have four devices in tandem (or fourdem?). HTC Advantage with Navigator 6, XL Live IQ Routes, GO700 with ASN and GO920 with EPT. I've run them simultaneously through both those tunnels and there's no worthwhile benefit to EPT - indeed EPT on my GO920 cuts in far faster than any of the others indicate loss of signal. It actually tends to start to spin and even move off road if I'm not moving, e.g. under a motorway junction bridge with traffic light control. There is one such location at junction 15 of the M5 where my 920 loses signal instantly, goes into EPT mode and gently starts to rotate, whilst the other three devices hold the signal and stand firm. And I find EPT mode is useless when I'm in the London high building canyons in thick traffic. IMHO anybody in UK who buys a 9x0 for the sole reason of EPT is paying for the privilege of being disappointed. Bear in mind, if your device turns turtle and finds itself off course, it's going to re-route and start telling you to make a U-turn or turn left/right to get back to your route. For this country bumpkin in London, that's mega scary and is the reason I have the large screen Advantage running in 2D mode permanently.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Capvermell
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
The US site shows this for the 340 Live:

Quote:
Extending your LIVE Services subscription
After the three-month free trial period, you can extend your TomTom LIVE services subscription directly through TomTom HOME.

Yes the x40 series had a 3 month trial of Live services but the x50 series has a one month trial.

So I assume this extends to the 340 model (is that a USA only map or something) as well as the 540, 740 and 940 series units.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: