Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice required on Web Editors etc
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice required on Web Editors etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Advice required on Web Editors etc Reply with quote

I’ve been told about Dreamweaver and Microsoft’s Expression Web 3 software. What do people use, what do you think of these web editors, are there any others that I should consider?

The last time I wrote a website I used Netscape Gold (when tables were just starting to become popular), so you can tell that that was years ago!!! I know (or can probably just remember basic HTML) but I’d prefer to use a good WYSIWYG editor, I’d also like to produce professional dynamic websites with things such as:

Arrow CSS
Arrow ASP/SQL or PHP/MySQL (which would you recommend and why)
Arrow Forums, possibly PHP-Nuke (do you have a recommendation?)
Arrow Anything else that a modern website might need?

A friend of mine has had an idea for a website that will need possibly all of the above or even more as I don’t know what’s fully out there yet. However I’d like to write the website for him as it would teach me a lot about web authoring.

No the website idea is nothing to do with GPS at all. Wink

I’ve never learnt Visual Basic or C++, but I have programmed in ROSCOE, RPF, JCL, TSO panels / macros so I have some coding ability.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use and like Dreamweaver, however I would consider myself to be a bit of an amateur now as the tech has overtaken me a bit. So is it good for the other stuff you want it to do??? Don't know! But that should tell you dreamweaver is quite easy to use.

My top tip is to find a nice site you like and save the HTML to your computer with all the images. This can be done easily with IE. Then have a good snoop around the code in Dreamweaver and it should give you a good idea of how to put yours together, if not just modify it to suit your own needs.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Dreamweaver. It's certainly one of the top web design apps and works well with full support for all the current standards.

Takes a little while to get into but I wouldn't want to use anything else now.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice required on Web Editors etc Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
I know (or can probably just remember basic HTML) but I’d prefer to use a good WYSIWYG editor, I’d also like to produce professional dynamic websites with things such as:

Arrow CSS
Arrow ASP/SQL or PHP/MySQL (which would you recommend and why)
Arrow Forums, possibly PHP-Nuke (do you have a recommendation?)
Arrow Anything else that a modern website might need?

add AJAX to that list; it may come in handy! i'd go for PHP over ASP. CSS is a must these days really, I can recommend a great book for CSS (darren also has it) if you want? also for php/mysql stuff too.

it's better to understand the code that the wysiwyg editor creates cos regardless of what software you use there will be times when you just need to fiddle a bit in the code to get it to do exactly what you want. also when they invariably mess things up Wink. certainly most php code is better to be hand written as there are infinite 'things' you could do but obviously not all of these things will have pre-written scripts available.

MaFt
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice required on Web Editors etc Reply with quote

To be honest I just use the Netbeans IDE with php plug-in or a decent text editor (depending on complexity of what I am doing) - Dreamweaver fires up sometimes, but mainly for editing css files or formatting generated code to see what is produced - dreamweaver isn't cheap

css - definite, but can seem like a black art at times

PHP & mysql - mainly because most hosting companies support it and it's cheaper. However I'd suggest reading up on such things as sql injection attacks before linking a website to an sql database

It might be worth looking at a content management system - some to look at (they are listed on the cpanel installer on my webhost - never investigated any myself)

Drupal
Geeklog
Joomla 1.5
Joomla
Mambo
PHP-Nuke
phpWCMS
phpWebSite
Siteframe
TYPO3
Xoops
Zikula

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: