Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Confused, which speed detector??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused, which speed detector??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craggs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Confused, which speed detector?? Reply with quote

Hello all..im gettin in a twist on which speed detector to buy.

there are some cheap some expensive gps types/lazer types.

All i want to do is detect the roadside mobile vans..im not bothered about them fixed ones i nearly always see them..its them vans with a camera out the back window grrr Mad

so there is a snooper sapphire at around £90 then you need subscription,,there is S3 models,,and cheap S1 models..will they detect mobil vans,,if you dont pay will it get cut of or will they still see the mobile vans?and only cant get the 'new' fixed camera location updates.

thanks ans sorry its so long,,just dont want to spend a fortune..
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an InfoRad? They all use our database so you will at least know the data is the best there is and they have lifetime free updates.

They only have our data so long as they continue to renew the licence but they have some neat units and they do the job.
craggs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can i find one of them and are they expensive??will they pick up the mobile vans..,,the free updates sounds like a good option.

Im picking up a sat-nav in the next couple of weeks,,not sure whicj software one but i belive that itself has fixed camera location..so ill get them from that..its them pesky vans Laughing Out Loud Very Happy

thanks for replying btw
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.buyinforad.com/?page_id=4&lang=en&currency=gbp

I have a K1, tiny and works quite well.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
http://www.buyinforad.com/?page_id=4&lang=en&currency=gbp

I have a K1, tiny and works quite well.

Yes, and when you update the camera data each week, the K1 gives you the option to just use the Mobile camera data only. Not sure about the other models in their range.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craggs wrote:

craggs wrote:
Im picking up a sat-nav in the next couple of weeks,,not sure whicj software one but i belive that itself has fixed camera location..so ill get them from that..its them pesky vans Laughing Out Loud Very Happy

Is there a reason why you need a camera detector and a Sat Nav? Can you not get one of the popular models of Sat Nav (Tomtom or Garmin?) and load the camera database from this site?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the inforad K1 !!!

Its a neat little device easy to charge up by usb and available in Halfords for £39-99 .
The key point is it has the PGPS speed cameras database on it and as you would expect flags up warnings as a sat nav with the database on would but no text to speech on the K1

I hope Inforad will continue to offer the PGPS camera warning system after the year is up as it was the main reason I bought one
craggs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
craggs wrote:

craggs wrote:

Is there a reason why you need a camera detector and a Sat Nav? Can you not get one of the popular models of Sat Nav (Tomtom or Garmin?) and load the camera database from this site?

Hi there,thanks for replying,from what ive read the sat navs only do fixed camera locations,,like gatso/specs etc via gps,,i was going to pick up a navigo and install the tom tom software onto it...but i believe non of the sat navs have a laser device for mobile camera vans..its the mobile camera and the police with the guns i really want to pick up,,then vans are a nightmare i always seem to not notice them,,parked up with the camera out the back..just the other day ive come to visit mu mother in wales,,there are road works with white vans parked up on the grass verges,,this police van was blended with them,,noone seen it..
craggs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
Another vote for the inforad K1 !!!

Its a neat little device easy to charge up by usb and available in Halfords for £39-99 .
The key point is it has the PGPS speed cameras database on it and as you would expect flags up warnings as a sat nav with the database on would but no text to speech on the K1

I hope Inforad will continue to offer the PGPS camera warning system after the year is up as it was the main reason I bought one

hi mate,,i must admit it is a neat little unit,,only reason ive not gone for it so far is i can see anythin on the wright that is has laser detection,,only Gps?

iv contacted snooper as the s2 neo is on offer with free lifetime updates,,however the ones on the site have had the laser removed,and only gps,,but snooper still have instock the s2 with the laser on top for same price,,inc updates..its mid boggling! Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craggs wrote:

craggs wrote:
from what ive read the sat navs only do fixed camera locations,,like gatso/specs etc via gps,

Our database has mobile camera locations. You can install that to any of the compatible nav apps.

As for laser 'detectors' forget 'em. They rarely work and when they do you will invariably have been nabbed already.

Our mobile database is the best feature and we include the locations of regular police haunts as well as mobile camera vans. All for £19.99 per year.

TomTom and iGo have the best support and Garmin handles them well but we support a huge number of devices, see here.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are buying a sat nav for navigation the easiest thing to do is download the PGPS cameras onto it !! If you buy a text to speech device you can also download the verbal warnings .

With the PGPS cameras on it will warn you when you are approaching a fixed camera and also warn you that you that you are in a mobile camera zone !! There will be times in mobile camera zones when you get a warning but there will be no camera there but the idea is to warn you that there has been cameras there in the past and have been reported by other members so expect that it is a area the safety camera vans are targeting

To be honest in my opinion there is no system on the market as good as the PGPS !! that was the main reason I bought the inforad K1!! as my car now has an inbuilt sat nav and I was unable to put the PGPS on it
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazer speed guns detect your speed in about one third of a second. Are your reactions and brakes that quick? Shocked I suspect not, which is why Darren said that lazer detectors are of limited use. If you don't want to have fixed cam warnings, you can install only mobile cams only on to a gps navigator, but why would you want to do that? Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
If you are buying a sat nav for navigation the easiest thing to do is download the PGPS cameras onto it !! If you buy a text to speech device you can also download the verbal warnings .

I have to pick you up on that , John!

You DON'T need a text-to-speech capable satnav to use the downloadable voice warnings from here.

Any unit capable of attaching third-party audio files to POI warnings will work, so that includes EVERY TomTom (with the exception of the START which has no warnings at all!) and any Garmin with an mp3 player.

If you have a TTS- capable model, that gives you the extra option of using the same voice as you have for navigation to read out the warnings.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
john877 wrote:

I have to pick you up on that , John!

warnings.

You usually do Laughing

I was not to sure but thank you for correcting my poor advice .

Being not very technically minded is a bit of a disadvantage when trying to give your opinion!!
when I downloaded my voices for the warnings on my GPS I thought you had to have a text to speech sat nav at that time but I must have been wrong

Thanks John

Edit

If I had used my brain I would have realized that on my older Tomtom 500 (no text to speech ) I have got voice warning on that GPS
welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
How about an InfoRad? They all use our database so you will at least know the data is the best there is and they have lifetime free updates.

They only have our data so long as they continue to renew the licence but they have some neat units and they do the job.

Doh!, and here I am with an Inforad AND PGPSW database. Surprised

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: