Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce the iPhone Car Kit: We get our hands on it
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce the iPhone Car Kit: We get our hands on it
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I too have had no major issues with GPS on my 3GS, even in urban environments.

I think the 3GS is a bit better than the normal 3G. I used my "3G" side-by-side while out geocaching with a friend and his seem to get a lock more easily in trees and built up areas.

I've compared track logs recorded on the iPhone to logs recorded by a dedicated GPS (eg a Qstarz Q1000P datalogger) and the results from the QStarz were massively better than those from the iPhone. Absolutely no drop-outs and the Qstarz track was pretty much within 20ft of the road or path at all times. The iPhone frequently disappeared off into the trees or buildings according to the logs - especially in foresty or built-up areas, and sometimes for seemingly no reason in an open area. Usable logs still, but *way* off what can be achieved with a dedicated device with a sensible size antenna.

Try it yourself and I think you'll see the same thing, because I've read many similar comments on other forums concerning accurate logging of jogging/cycling etc.
sneeks
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used TT throughout my recent 2 weeks in Mallorca and the 3GS GPS worked brilliantly for the majority of the time. I will not be paying £99 for a cradle, what a rip-off.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
Try it yourself and I think you'll see the same thing, because I've read many similar comments on other forums concerning accurate logging of jogging/cycling etc.

I don't doubt its less sensitive. But for road navigation where lock to road is employed it haas not been an issue for me.

Even tracks I've grabbed using MotionX during walks through a local forest have been pretty accurate in the main.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe mines faulty then... I personally find it not as good as a dedicated device - that's all I'm trying to say. I find the performance unpredictable and variable - even within the built in Google Maps app.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
Well, maybe mines faulty then... I personally find it not as good as a dedicated device - that's all I'm trying to say. I find the performance unpredictable and variable - even within the built in Google Maps app.

google maps doesn't have a 'lock to road' function so you WILL notice the fluctuations. in copilot, navigon, igo, sygic, ndrive and tomtom i've not bee sent off any random side roads. roadee and google maps DO vary though as they don't lock to the road (well, roadee does if you are navigating but not on free driving)

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite TT telling me only yesterday that the cradle won't be available for another week, here is an unboxing vide of one bought at the Glasgow Apple Store today!

Interestingly, MacRumours mention a leaflet inc with the kit which mentions a free app from TT that will be available soon that allows config of the kit even if TomTom Nav is not installed.

Quite what this will permit is not clear, it may simply be control of the hands-free aspects. MacRumours speculate that this may allow 3rd party GPS apps to access the cradle but I can't see that somehow.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess its already had an official name change having watched the video OPPOS rolls of the tongue quite well don't you think! - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaks volumes that the guy is going to review it then take it back and get a refund!
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see the point of spending all that cash on what is essentially a very poorly specced application.

By the time you have bought the application and the mount you could have bought a One XL or similar.

It proves that the mobile still has a long way to go before it can genuinely replace the dedicated PND, even the incredibly hyped iphone.
WildRover
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: First impressions Reply with quote

I have had mixed experience using the TomTom app on a 3G and also a 3GS. This is my second GS as the GPS antenna did not function on the first. Experience does seem to vary between users with some having a trouble free experience while others less so. In my experience mad in side by side tests the 3G acquires a GPS fix significantly faster than the 3GS. Once a signal is acquired there is little to chose between the performance of the two iPhones. So far I have used the TomTom, Sygic Europe and Navigon UK apps, none I would say is perfect, all have positive and negative aspects either in their use or their feature set. Amalgamate the best features from all, shame on TomTom for not doing so, in a single app and in my opinion the iPhone is capable of providing an adequate SatNav experience. It is the apps rather than the iPhone which is lacking.

Now to the TomTom Car Kit, initial use indicates significantly improved stability and performance. It took me some time to work out that the loss of sound in the TomTom app was due to my not having adjusted the volume on the cradle! The unit can be used without bluetooth activated however this disables the hands free feature. Not sure how this works as the documentation is minimal to say the least.

Why would anyone buy this? In my case I never go out without my iPhone, with the cradle mounted on an Arkon Beanbag and stored in the boot (trunk) of my car I will always have access to SatNav if suddenly required to drive to a location in an unknown area.

Is it worth the money? That is down to the individual and the use which they will make of it. If you want a dedicated SatNav buy one, I can't see me going back to my TomTom 520!
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
You've shown a picture of an iPhone in the dock running MotionX, but presumably the external GPS in the mount can only be used by TomTom and TT are unlikely to disclose the serial protocol to any 3rd party app developers?

The TomTom spokesperson told me it will work with all applications, however I am reserving comment until I have seen it for myself.

I was running MotionX to try and see if the GPS works without power... It didnt no difference on and off the dock. Still waiting for TomTom to come up with review samples for the iPHone navigation application...
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sneeks wrote:
... I will not be paying £99 for a cradle, what a rip-off.

There are a lot of comments here about rip-off, not picking on sneeks in particular other than it was the last comment.

Now if we all think it is a rip-off then there is one way to show it: dont buy it. There are other options on the market for holders either active or passive.

Putting things in perspective a bit.

Active holders from Brodit or Carcomm (leaders in holders) come in about £50.00 if you then add in handsfree the Carcomm mounts cost £150, and you are not getting the additional Bluetooth (which I suspect is the feature that most of us want).

So TomTom want to sell us a 3 in 1 holder for £99. It is quite comparative to some other brand products out there.

I suspect that a price point of £50-60 would have been much more acceptable. I would also like to have seen options for hardwiring and permanent mounting, rather than windscreen only.

Time and experience will tell if it is a worthwhile investment...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we know if the EasyPort mount clips off in the same way as it does on the ONE's with EasyPort?

I ask as if it does, then there are already adapters that will allow this to be fitted to a ProClip or other mount which would be preferable to a windscreen mount.
WildRover
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Other apps Reply with quote

Some further experimentation suggests to me that other apps (Navigon and Sygic) do communicate with the TomTom cradle. In both cases the audio from the apps was played through the speaker in the cradle. MotionX and the two apps all found GPS signals much more quickly than usual. I shut the iPhone down and then restarted between the use of each app. Not being a technical or electronics person I don't know if there is a way to identify if an app is receiving GPS signals from the built in or TomTom antenna.
SteveJS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: iPhone Tom Tom Reply with quote

Top price suggests it should be the top App.
However - and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - no speed cams and no traffic information mean it's far from that!

So Excuse me Tom Tom I didn't come up the Thames on the last Banana Boat. What do think we are stupid? Because as things stand that's what we would need to be to even contemplate buying this over-priced, under-specced piece of kit.

It doesn't even come close to doing what most of us need it to and at that price it's a complete rip-off!

So watch this space Tom Tom because along with a hell of a lot of other folks I won't be buying this in it's present incarnation that's for sure.
Leaves me very disappointed and very damn irritated - for Sure.

I'm waiting for iPhone iteration the 3rd next summer - if Apple do their usual thing they'll 'fix' the GPS receiver and you won't need this 'device from Tom Tom, which is what they probably realise - hence the horrendous price.

Fine 'cos I'm sitting back and waiting for a Tom Tom alternative which is a shame as I've been with them for about 5 years now.
But hey! That doesn't matter - crap on your customers and watch them leave and then reflect on the thought that once they've gone a large percentage will 'never' come back.

Now where were the alternatives to run on my iPhone....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: