Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - advice on iphone app
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

advice on iphone app

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gabbyevs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: advice on iphone app Reply with quote

hi

ive just got an iphone was wondering if anyone any recommendations for a good gps app

do they run aswell as say garmin etc? also are there any mounts to hold my iphone in the car

thanks
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick look at this very forum reveals this thread at the top of the forum, with a link to this page in the first post.

A search on the word "mount" in this forum reveals this thread
gabbyevs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thaniks for the links

id like some personal experience of any of the apps if anyone has them?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon is the best IMHO but still needs 7 digit PostCode. Sygic is also good, followed. TomTom and CoPilot are Ok. CoPilot could be great but is marred by routing issues.

Get Navigon and you'll be happy, 7-digit postcode is to be added in a forthcoming update and that will then tick all our boxes.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on Navigon. But no app for the iPhone is perfect.

There's also this poll (request to be a sticky seems to have been ignored *sob*). Not a huge number of votes, but Navigon has a clear lead there also.[/url]
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR wrote:
There's also this poll (request to be a sticky seems to have been ignored *sob*).

Stickied.
gabbyevs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your opinions

i didnt really want to pay extra for postcodes but if its the better app i might

does it freeze alot? i guess no one app is perfect my garmin nuvi freezes all the time and is a pain

also i sthe screen hard to see?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabbyevs wrote:
i didnt really want to pay extra for postcodes but if its the better app i might

It's not extra? It'll be added as a free update at some point.
Quote:
does it freeze alot? i guess no one app is perfect my garmin nuvi freezes all the time and is a pain

Not frozen on me yet.
Quote:
also i sthe screen hard to see?

No issues there, any visibility issue though is down to the iPhone not the app. But I have had no probs with screen visibility. Volume can be an issue, it's not very loud but again that's an iPhone issue and no fault of the app.
gabbyevs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your replies

now all i have to do is get a mount for the car
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering 7 digit postcode support costs so little its well worth adding to the application see Here - Makes a real difference to using the Navigon app in the UK, it simply works and for just over £1 I am quite happy to pay for this app even though Navigon might some day get their act in order and release true post code support within the application.

As for the others, Sygic offers the best integration with third party POI files and the Speed Camera database, but you need to be running a jailbroken phone to take advantage of this.

Co-Pilot is a very capable application, but the user interface seems cluttered to me, not quite sure whats not quite right but its not on a par with the Navigon app, for those on a budget its a cracking release as the UK mapping plus app will set you back less than £30

I-Go, well its costly and takes ages to load, in use its quite good but I simply have not got on with this application even though I keep trying it, others say its good but I just don't connect with this one for some reason.

TomTom, relying upon their brand name is the first thing that springs to mind, OK so it uses IQ Routes which in my opinion is a good thing, BUT there is very little else on offer, at the price I would look elsewhere rather than waste cash on a rather lame duck.

G-Map, it provides a decent application sadly let down by very strange routes, if they can resolve the rather bizarre routing then its worth looking at.

Navigon is by far the best app for navigation on the iPhone in the UK when compared to the rest, its not the cheapest but what it does provide is a very solid and capable device that rivals all but the very best top of the range stand alone sat nav devices, you get the Text To Speech where the device can read out road names, reality view which displays the road signs and lane guidance on motorways and other major A roads, and it does what it says on the tin - It simply works - A refereshing change in this day an age when it comes to navigation software in general - Mike

Edit to add, there is only one mount for the phone worth considering, although its not cheap have a look at the range from Brodit, I detailed how to install one in This thread - Mike
gabbyevs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your advice on each app mike
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
SSR wrote:
There's also this poll (request to be a sticky seems to have been ignored *sob*).

Stickied.

Ta Smile
gabbyevs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would prefer a suction mount however i do want my phone to be secure and not just drop off

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: