Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - London Congestion charge? Please school me
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

London Congestion charge? Please school me
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for spelling and grammar mistakes, I'm really tired and wanted to tell you guys before going to bed.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So welcome home and it wasn't all that bad was it?

Two points.

I went to London myself today, 230 miles round trip, 6 hours for me too, so I had one of my regular nightmares. Satnavs (all four!) lost signals and sat there spinning round, off route, the works! I was driving round like a headless chicken. Shows you had it easy (and I did warn you about Piccadilly and the problems with being in the right lane).

Are you talking TT cameras, or PGPSW ones? I find it difficult to believe you came across 4 or 5 missing from our database.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - 400 miles in 6 hours? Including the million miles of 50mph average speed cameras on the M1 and however many in London? Forgive me if I sound schoolmaster-ish, but that seems like you were not being a good law-abiding person?

Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back! Very Happy

Sounds like you had a good time, if it can be described like that. Well done.
I know people say 'it's only driving' but it can be a bit of a hand full if you haven't done a city like London for a long time.
By the sounds you actually did very well.
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
So welcome home and it wasn't all that bad was it?

Two points.

I went to London myself today, 230 miles round trip, 6 hours for me too, so I had one of my regular nightmares. Satnavs (all four!) lost signals and sat there spinning round, off route, the works! I was driving round like a headless chicken. Shows you had it easy (and I did warn you about Piccadilly and the problems with being in the right lane).

Are you talking TT cameras, or PGPSW ones? I find it difficult to believe you came across 4 or 5 missing from our database.

Hmmm I am not sure about the different ones. One or two of them was definitely a fixed yellow/grey speed camera to the side of the road in central London. Thinking back I don't think there was 4 or 5 I saw with no warning from TT. it was probably 3 at the most to be honest.

Another thing I remember TT giving me warnings of traffic cameras and there was none, well not that I can see anyway on the motorway just before the M1 ends, I think near Watford.

DennisN wrote:
PS - 400 miles in 6 hours? Including the million miles of 50mph average speed cameras on the M1 and however many in London? Forgive me if I sound schoolmaster-ish, but that seems like you were not being a good law-abiding person?

from Manchester to London it is 192miles there and 192miles back. 3hs 19mins. So ....... 384miles altogether. Sorry again with the accuracy of the numbers. But I was going mainly 70-80mph never higher then that.

During the 50mph average speed sections I was going at 50, had to really with the traffic in front moving at 50.

This morning my right ankle is killing me. Laughing Out Loud
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah another thing. Sorry for the continuous posting but it was quite an adventure.

I saw a hitch hiker before the M56, just wondering who the hell would hitch hike? And why? I think he was broken down since he held a license plate and a note saying where he wanted to go, but if you in that situation why not get a taxi or the very least phone someone?

Would people actually pick up a hitch hiker? I wouldn't mainly because I don't know the person and wouldn't feel comfortable.
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Oh sorry Dennis. My device only has TT camera database installed.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse9 wrote:
DennisN wrote:

Then I'm REALLY sorry for you! Still, you've had a demonstration of their inaccuracy already, so think about it. I have TT cameras on my new XL Live and update them every day for what it's worth. Running alongside another TT with PGPSW cameras on and the difference is noticeable. (I wonder how long ago it was that we deleted our average speed cameras at 40mph east of Swindon on M4? TT still have them and bleat about it when I drive through.)

JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse9 wrote:
Ah another thing. Sorry for the continuous posting but it was quite an adventure.

I saw a hitch hiker before the M56, just wondering who the hell would hitch hike? And why? I think he was broken down since he held a license plate and a note saying where he wanted to go, but if you in that situation why not get a taxi or the very least phone someone?

Would people actually pick up a hitch hiker? I wouldn't mainly because I don't know the person and wouldn't feel comfortable.
If he is carrying a delivery plate (a red (?) edged number plate), he will be a professional car or truck delivery driver. He could well be travelling a long distance (my last company car was delivered to Hamilton from Kettering!!) and blowing his money on a train or bus ticket (let alone TAXI Laughing ), could cost more than he has earned for the delivery.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Mouse9 wrote:
DennisN wrote:

Then I'm REALLY sorry for you! Still, you've had a demonstration of their inaccuracy already, so think about it. I have TT cameras on my new XL Live and update them every day for what it's worth. Running alongside another TT with PGPSW cameras on and the difference is noticeable. (I wonder how long ago it was that we deleted our average speed cameras at 40mph east of Swindon on M4? TT still have them and bleat about it when I drive through.)

Could I add PGPSW database to mine? I have TT XL IQ. If yes could you point me to the right direction please, thanks.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cameras come with the subscribed membership (£19.99 a year). At the top of this and every page is an item "Subscribe" and that will guide you. The TomTom method is easy and has so many useful options for warnings of approaching cameras - mine plays a siren and a nice lady shouts "Warning, Gatso ahead, speed limit 30 miles an hour". She does the same for all types of cameras.

ReadMe (well actually Read GPS_Fan's article) then click the Verifiers link in my signature for a bit of an idea how much we care over getting it right.

Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright cool, I'll have a read after this shower!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: