Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - London Congestion charge? Please school me
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

London Congestion charge? Please school me
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: London Congestion charge? Please school me Reply with quote

There isn't a general forum where I can ask general question but I am scheduled to travel to London next week so I am wondering what to do in regards to congestion charge?

Do I have to pay a fee in advance? Or have some kind of indicator I have paid?

I am travelling to Belgrave Square Which is right in the middle of London, Piccadilly Arcade.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll move this into the "general subjects" forum.

On the day you travel, preferably before you get there, phone Transport for London on 0845 900 1234 and ask to pay a congestion charge for that day only. You'll need your credit card handy to read out the details to them. It'll cost you £8. They'll offer to post you a receipt if you want one.

It is possible to pay by other methods - some motorway service stations have pay stations (but the only time I tried using one it gave me so much grief I gave up and got on the phone!).

I don't know how far in advance you can pay, but it's better to wait until the actual day anyway - who knows what circumstances might arise to prevent you travelling on that day.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's lots of information on the Congestion Charge website. There's loads of ways to pay - just make sure you pay by the end of the day to avoid penalty charges. Whoever you are going to probably knows the local shops that accept payment (similar scheme to phone top-ups).
Brodit ProClip mount
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be bothered with paying to drive on roads that are blocked by stationary traffic, the last few times I have left the car near the M25 at a tube station and used the tube/ train as its less hassle - Mike
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorbike, motorbike and motorbike.
No Mayoral revenue generating scheme, and only £1 to park all day (Which goes to Westminster council).
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:

...and you can't even be seen by the SPECS cameras! (maybe)
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
253 wrote:

...and you can't even be seen by the SPECS cameras! (maybe)

I'm still careful mind, just in case. Mobiles the same, rumours doing the rounds in bike circles that some areas the vans use speed cams at back and front of the van.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
just make sure you pay by the end of the day to avoid penalty charges.

If you do forget on the day you can pay a higher charge of £10 within the next 24 hours.
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bad is it in the car in London?
lyngarth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run your car or van on LPG, only 50p per ltr and you can drive around London for only £10 per year. Very Happy
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can make sense of the stupid restrictions for qualifying LPG vehicles - don't they have to be on the Powershift register or something, and if your model isn't on there then tough??
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse9 wrote:
How bad is it in the car in London?

I find the greatest problem is being in the correct lane when there's a lot of traffic about. If possible, go for the middle lane of three, then you won't find yourself trapped in a right or left turn lane when you need to go straight ahead, but you'll have the option to slip into the turn lane when you need to.

Drive steadily, don't fight your way around - most other people there know what they're doing and have no need or intention to do you a mischief. You'll meet no more idiots than elsewhere. The most disturbing thing I find is motorbikes filtering through and around from every side, so keep a regular eye on your wing mirrors.

Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically what DennisN said.
If you are going to drive in the centre - Grosvenor Sq, Piccadilly, Park Lane, Tottenham Court Road and the like, remember there will be a lot of 1 way roads and therefore No Entry. You will find yourself having to travel what seems like miles to go around again to get back where you were. You can and will get disorientated.
But this is no different for any big city I suppose.

Spend some time haing a look at the London A-Z before you go (or Google) as it shows the 1 Way roads and you should be able to plan yourself a route.

Good luck.
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, how good is TomTom in London? interms of getting you around, getting you on the right lane?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse9 wrote:
Thanks guys, how good is TomTom in London? interms of getting you around, getting you on the right lane?

There are two problems with TT (and I presume any other satnav).

1. In some areas ("canyons" of high buildings all round you), the device loses the satellite signal and starts to turn turtle and lose its position on the map. All you can do in that circumstance is either panic, or hold your nerve and carry on going along where you think you were going and hope to get both signal and repositioning on the map soon. I try to deal with it by having several devices, with at least one of them on 2D view rather than 3D - this allows me to see more of the area and have a running idea of where I'm going. After quite a lot of this happening, I watch all my devices like a hawk (London traffic is usually so slow that's not dangerous) so that I see immediately one of them starts going haywire. I don't expect you've got several devices so, I'll just wish you good luck.

2. Map accuracy. 253 talks of looking at an A-Z and familiarising yourself in advance. I couldn't do that, too much to look for. But in any event, neither the A-Z nor the TomTom are totally accurate. Remember the words we all use when there's one of those news articles about somebody following his satnav into a river or railway line - your eyeball and brain are responsible for what you do and where you go, not the map or the satnav.

Overall, I rely totally on my TomTom(s) and find them very reliable. You can't expect them to be 100% accurate, so there have been occasions when they've told me to turn into a No Entry or No Right/Left Turn road, but few and far between (I swear about it, but on reflection, the TT knows London a damned sight better than I do!). Before I got them, London was hard work with the A-Zs (I had two). I would admire anybody who could memorise an A-Z route, because I don't think it's practical. Having an open A-Z on the passenger seat is very difficult, so I consider my TTs as invaluable.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: