Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Build your own GPS Satellite - Build & Win A Subscriptio
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Build your own GPS Satellite - Build & Win A Subscriptio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Build your own GPS Satellite - Build & Win A Subscriptio Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comHave you ever fancied your own GPS Satellite? Well perhaps not but how about a model of these amazing pieces of technology.

Oribiting at a height of 12,000 miles (to put that into perspective, the space shuttle occupies an orbit of less than 200 miles!) the GPS Satellites beam a signal that can be picked up by your GPS with a timing accuracy of millionths of a second!

Baseband Technologies, a canadian GPS Software Consultancy, have produced a great .pdf build guide to make your very own GPS Satellite out of paper and card.

The model is not some child's project either, recreating the design of a Block III GPS very accurately. All you require is access to a colour printer and some basic materials to build a 10" tall model.

So who has the craft skills necessary to build one? Have a go, post images of your efforts and we'll award a one year speedcam subscription to the best.

The instructions are here and the plans here.

catnamedog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: My Own GPS Satellite!! Reply with quote

This is a fantastic project! I never dreamed that one day I could have my very own GPS satellite.
My only question, really is: will this work in Warrington, at a height of about 30 feet above sea level?
I can't see me getting it into a high earth orbit, and Warrington Transport don't run anything like a regular service.....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly we have no arty types amongst us Crying or Very sad Surely someone must have the skills required to have a go, I'm tempted to have a blast myself!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the body part made up, next are all the aerials which will take quite some time, its not difficult but best user a laser jet printer rather than ink as the solar panels don't look quite right when the ink soaks the paper.

I am not getting in to a race building it though, it took me nearly three hours to build the main center body on Saturday night (beats watching X-Factor though) and it looks quite good, larger than I initially thought it would be to be honest, the kids even recognised it as the same as the wallpaper on my main PC (sad Crying or Very sad )- Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one! I might use fuse or solder wire for the antenna and get some gold foil for the body.
hardy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - found the instructions for building the hardware O.K but where are the schematics, circuit diagram and components list to make it all work? And how many will I need to make to ensure an accurate fix. Galileo from the E.S.A seems to be taking so long!

Seriously is the new E..SA 'Egnos' ( http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEM2HGF280G_index_0.html ) of any relevance to our GPS receivers?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardy wrote:
Seriously is the new E..SA 'Egnos' ( http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEM2HGF280G_index_0.html ) of any relevance to our GPS receivers?

Reported here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: